• Get involved.
    We want your input!
    Apply for Membership and join the conversations about everything related to broadcasting.

After we receive your registration, a moderator will review it. After your registration is approved, you will be permitted to post.
    If you use a disposable or false email address, your registration will be rejected.

After your membership is approved, please take a minute to tell us a little bit about yourself.
    https://www.radiodiscussions.com/forums/introduce-yourself.1088/

Thanks in advance and have fun!
    RadioDiscussions Administrators

Mikey Esparza Exits KFMB-FM 100.7 San Diego

Y2kTheNewOldies

Walk of Fame Participant
https://radioinsight.com/headlines/178980/mikey-esparza-exits-100-7-san-diego/

TEGNA Variety Hits “100.7 San Diego” KFMB-FM has parted ways with afternoon host Mikey Esparza after electing to not renew his contract.

KFMB-FM General Manager Alberto Mier y Teran told the San Diego Reader, “There are no new Mikey issues. He is a good guy, a total professional, and we wish him luck. It’s just that we are moving towards a more female-based audience, and Mikey fit us better when we were playing harder rock.”

KFMB-FM is currently looking for a new host for the station.

Poor guy was excited to be back on the radio again -- he was driving for Uber before he was back on the air, because he wanted to stay in San Diego to be closer with his kids and couldn't find a gig.
Although I'm not a huge fan of his style of radio, I hope he lands on his feet somewhere.

>>>"There are no new Mikey issues."<<< Huh? Were there old Mikey issues? But now he's just being kicked off the station because it's moving more female? Gee, thanks for the send off, boss.

>>>"we are moving towards a more female-based audience." Huh? I thought KFMB-FM switched from Jack to a more youthful, 80s/90s/00s focused Classic Rock station. Now the station is moving toward a female sound?

OK, I checked out the playlist for the last 90 minutes, apx. 3:30 to 5pm Thursday 7/25/19. And yes, KFMB-FM is now back to Adult Hits, a mix of some classic rock and some "new wave" of the 80s and 90s.

The Knack -- My Sharona
Haircut 100 -- Love Plus One
Hall & Oates -- Rich Girl
Joan Jett -- I Love Rock & Roll
Van Halen -- Pretty Woman
Red Hot Chili Peppers -- Under The Bridge
Lenny Kravitz -- American Woman
The Pretenders -- Brass in Pocket
Foo Fighters -- My Hero
The Cars -- Let's Go
Run DMC -- It's Tricky (This one is unusual.)
311 -- Amber
Human League -- Don't You Want Me?
The B52s -- Roam
Queen & David Bowie -- Under Pressure
The Buggles -- Video Killed The Radio Star (The first song MTV ever played)
Boston -- More Than A Feeling
The Clash -- Should I Stay or Should I Go?

Wow, somebody is playing Haircut 100? I actually like it. But this is clearly a format aimed at 25-54. I'm not sure there's much appeal here for the under 40 listener.

KFMB-FM is currently #13 in the San Diego ratings. It sounds like the station is calling itself "San Diego's 100 point 7."

Last edited:

OK, I checked out the playlist for the last 90 minutes, apx. 3:30 to 5pm Thursday 7/25/19. And yes, KFMB-FM is now back to Adult Hits, a mix of some classic rock and some "new wave" of the 80s and 90s.

The Knack -- My Sharona
Haircut 100 -- Love Plus One
Hall & Oates -- Rich Girl
Joan Jett -- I Love Rock & Roll
Van Halen -- Pretty Woman
Red Hot Chili Peppers -- Under The Bridge
Lenny Kravitz -- American Woman
The Pretenders -- Brass in Pocket
Foo Fighters -- My Hero
The Cars -- Let's Go
Run DMC -- It's Tricky (This one is unusual.)
311 -- Amber
Human League -- Don't You Want Me?
The B52s -- Roam
Queen & David Bowie -- Under Pressure
The Buggles -- Video Killed The Radio Star (The first song MTV ever played)
Boston -- More Than A Feeling
The Clash -- Should I Stay or Should I Go?

Wow, somebody is playing Haircut 100? I actually like it. But this is clearly a format aimed at 25-54. I'm not sure there's much appeal here for the under 40 listener.

KFMB-FM is currently #13 in the San Diego ratings. It sounds like the station is calling itself "San Diego's 100 point 7."

Been like this for a few months now.

>>>"we are moving towards a more female-based audience." Huh? I thought KFMB-FM switched from Jack to a more youthful, 80s/90s/00s focused Classic Rock station. Now the station is moving toward a female sound?

There was also a short stretch a couple years ago before they completely dumped Jack and tried "Jack Reinvented" where it sounded like the station was trying to compete again 94.1 by playing top40. After that experiment didn't last then the dive into classic rock happened.

The "KFM-BFM" rock format came about when the station was under LMA to Local Media. The station went back to adult hits last December.

Being simply "100.7" is pretty lame. They should quit pussyfooting around and go to a "BIG 80's" format. Think big, think out of the box and do it, before somebody else beats you to the punch!

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.
Back
Top Bottom