• Get involved.
    We want your input!
    Apply for Membership and join the conversations about everything related to broadcasting.

After we receive your registration, a moderator will review it. After your registration is approved, you will be permitted to post.
    If you use a disposable or false email address, your registration will be rejected.

After your membership is approved, please take a minute to tell us a little bit about yourself.
    https://www.radiodiscussions.com/forums/introduce-yourself.1088/

Thanks in advance and have fun!
    RadioDiscussions Administrators

Oakland Coliseum may be gone soon.

Now that all three teams have committed to leaving the Oakland Coliseum complex, you may be wondering what's going to happen to the 130-acre property. Well, the Oakland A's have an idea and it calls for them to be the developer.

If everything goes as planned, by 2022 this will no longer be the home of the Oakland A's. They selected a site near Jack London Square for a new stadium. But, that doesn't mean they're through with the old one.
Oakland A's President Dave Kaval says after the Warriors, Raiders and A's leave the site, the baseball team wants to redevelop the area into a youth sports academy. "I think you build a recreational complex that includes baseball, and soccer, a skill center and maybe a workplace development center," Kaval said.

Kaval says everyone wins because young people will have a place to go, professional teams will have a pipeline to new talent, and Oakland gets new jobs. But, the idea is not getting everyone's seal of approval.

City Councilman Larry Reid says there are already baseball diamonds and soccer fields in East Oakland. What they need are good paying jobs. "There are a number of developers there that would like to acquire that site or lease it for 99 years and put what I think are some higher and better uses on that site," Reid said.

Like affordable housing and retail. The A's say that's part of their plan too, eventually. But, there are some in Oakland city government who haven't given up on convincing the A's to build their new stadium on existing coliseum property. "I respect their business decision, but my first reaction is you couldn't ask for a better location than currently sits here," Oakland City Council Noel Gallo said.

Now that all three teams have committed to leaving the Oakland Coliseum complex, you may be wondering what's going to happen to the 130-acre property. Well, the Oakland A's have an idea and it calls for them to be the developer.

If everything goes as planned, by 2022 this will no longer be the home of the Oakland A's. They selected a site near Jack London Square for a new stadium. But, that doesn't mean they're through with the old one.
Oakland A's President Dave Kaval says after the Warriors, Raiders and A's leave the site, the baseball team wants to redevelop the area into a youth sports academy. "I think you build a recreational complex that includes baseball, and soccer, a skill center and maybe a workplace development center," Kaval said.

Kaval says everyone wins because young people will have a place to go, professional teams will have a pipeline to new talent, and Oakland gets new jobs. But, the idea is not getting everyone's seal of approval.

City Councilman Larry Reid says there are already baseball diamonds and soccer fields in East Oakland. What they need are good paying jobs. "There are a number of developers there that would like to acquire that site or lease it for 99 years and put what I think are some higher and better uses on that site," Reid said.

Like affordable housing and retail. The A's say that's part of their plan too, eventually. But, there are some in Oakland city government who haven't given up on convincing the A's to build their new stadium on existing coliseum property. "I respect their business decision, but my first reaction is you couldn't ask for a better location than currently sits here," Oakland City Council Noel Gallo said.

What else do you think the they can do with the stadium, but they can't do that until after the A's and Raiders leave, pretty sure the Golden State Warriors play in an indoor arena like all the other NBA teams does. And plus the stadium opened in the 60's, and like a lot of other MLB teams have been doing, I ma sure that they won't to get a newer home.

Here in Northern California there has been debates on how former stadium sites should be developed for some time. I know in San Francisco the former Candlestick park has been though some debates over what should be built in the area since the 49ers moved to Santa Clara's Levi's Stadium. In Sacramento when the Kings moved to Golden 1 Center in Downtown Sac there was also a debate on what should happen to the old Sleep Train Arena in Natomas. If you want to understand the future of Oakland Coliseum it will be in debates too in the same way Sacramento and San Francisco were facing when they had to deal with the debates on how to handle their former stadiums.

Here in Northern California there has been debates on how former stadium sites should be developed for some time. I know in San Francisco the former Candlestick park has been though some debates over what should be built in the area since the 49ers moved to Santa Clara's Levi's Stadium. In Sacramento when the Kings moved to Golden 1 Center in Downtown Sac there was also a debate on what should happen to the old Sleep Train Arena in Natomas. If you want to understand the future of Oakland Coliseum it will be in debates too in the same way Sacramento and San Francisco were facing when they had to deal with the debates on how to handle their former stadiums.

Candlestick park should have been preserved i think.

Sad to see these places go.Loosing sports teams will kill these places.They cant rely on concerts raking in the bucks since they are to big for some artists and bands to play in .Never been there but "Oh if those walls can sing"....

Somehow The old Forum in Inglewood has managed to remain standing 20 years after the Lakers moved to Staples Center in Downtown Los Angeles. The Forum in Inglewood is currently a concert venue and this same venue was a church at one point.

Also the former Hollywood Park Racetrack is being converted to New Rams Stadium as of 2019. But these are rare cases though.

Perhaps second only to that bunker in St. Petersburg, Florida it's a stadium that
NEEDS to be abandoned.

With the intense housing shortage in the Bay Area I suspect that it will actually become
the site of a housing development.

Perhaps second only to that bunker in St. Petersburg, Florida it's a stadium that
NEEDS to be abandoned.

With the intense housing shortage in the Bay Area I suspect that it will actually become
the site of a housing development.

I dont get whats so bad about tropicana field. Didnt the rays just put like another 2 million into it a few years ago.

I dont get whats so bad about tropicana field. Didnt the rays just put like another 2 million into it a few years ago.

Once the Mariners got good, they did just fine attendance-wise in the equally bunker-like Kingdome. I understand the Rays' problem is more location than facility. Highway access to St. Petersburg is limited and all the suburbs are on the Tampa side. Apparently it's a huge hassle to get in and out of. Lots of people watch all the team's games on TV but never go to a game because they don't want to spend 8 or 9 hours just to go to, see, and get back home from a 3-hour ballgame.

Once the Mariners got good, they did just fine attendance-wise in the equally bunker-like Kingdome. I understand the Rays' problem is more location than facility. Highway access to St. Petersburg is limited and all the suburbs are on the Tampa side. Apparently it's a huge hassle to get in and out of. Lots of people watch all the team's games on TV but never go to a game because they don't want to spend 8 or 9 hours just to go to, see, and get back home from a 3-hour ballgame.

You make a good point there CT.

Somehow The old Forum in Inglewood has managed to remain standing 20 years after the Lakers moved to Staples Center in Downtown Los Angeles. The Forum in Inglewood is currently a concert venue and this same venue was a church at one point.

Also the former Hollywood Park Racetrack is being converted to New Rams Stadium as of 2019. But these are rare cases though.

Great pro live concert recordings/videos came from the Forum.I did not know it was a church before they change to a live venue.That explains the excellent sound acoustics there.

Great pro live concert recordings/videos came from the Forum.I did not know it was a church before they change to a live venue.That explains the excellent sound acoustics there.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Forum_(Inglewood,_California)

Yes here it is when the Forum was a Church. For now with Oakland Coliseum there are uncertainties given that the Raiders are heading to Vegas and Warriors are heading to Chase Center across the bay

https://www.latimes.com/archives/la-xpm-2009-may-17-sp-crowe-forum17-story.html

It's a grim, lifeless place, and the Rays are desperate to get out.
They are even talking about moving half of their games to an equally miserable stadium in Montreal.
Which has to be a negotiating tactic.

It's a grim, lifeless place, and the Rays are desperate to get out.
They are even talking about moving half of their games to an equally miserable stadium in Montreal.
Which has to be a negotiating tactic.

I agree. It seems very improbable that a club would actually want to split its season between two cities. But a big part of the reason The Trop feels lifeless is lack of fans.

I watched the Toronto-Detroit game this weekend at Comerica. Detroit has lost 30 of their last 33. There was a 1 hour plus rain delay. That park felt lifeless after the delay, with maybe 2000 fans remaining. The broadcast on FS Detroit felt lifeless too.

I agree. It seems very improbable that a club would actually want to split its season between two cities. But a big part of the reason The Trop feels lifeless is lack of fans.

I watched the Toronto-Detroit game this weekend at Comerica. Detroit has lost 30 of their last 33. There was a 1 hour plus rain delay. That park felt lifeless after the delay, with maybe 2000 fans remaining. The broadcast on FS Detroit felt lifeless too.

They had the rays vs red sox game on espn earlier today and there was a lot of empty seats that could be because it was a monday game though.

They had the rays vs red sox game on espn earlier today and there was a lot of empty seats that could be because it was a monday game though.

10,966 was the announced attendance. That's poor on any day of the week, especially with the Red Sox in town, although it could be that Boston fans are starting to give up on this season and won't be swelling the numbers in places like Tampa Bay and Baltimore the way they do in good years.

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.
Back
Top Bottom