• Get involved.
    We want your input!
    Apply for Membership and join the conversations about everything related to broadcasting.

After we receive your registration, a moderator will review it. After your registration is approved, you will be permitted to post.
    If you use a disposable or false email address, your registration will be rejected.

After your membership is approved, please take a minute to tell us a little bit about yourself.
    https://www.radiodiscussions.com/forums/introduce-yourself.1088/

Thanks in advance and have fun!
    RadioDiscussions Administrators

I'm so glad that FCC roll back children Television rules

Now Finally Broadcasters could have flexibly to air what ever they want that is good to see even though cartoons is not coming back on OTA anytime soon but now is flexibly to air as much E/I programming as they want between the hours from 6am to 10pm Monday-Sunday anytime.That's what I wanted all this time!

Parents won't care one iota. All the parents of young children I know have an on-demand video service.

Must have been interesting, being the NAB and trying to lobby the FCC without calling their members irrelevant in the childrens' programming space.

We have this service called PBS that has hours of E/I childrens programming daily.

And lots of PBS stations have the PBS Kids subchannel 24/7. If you don’t want to pay for a video provider and only watch OTA, there is plenty of programming.

Anyone with an Ion Network station in their market probably also gets Qubo.

The whole basis of government regulation is to force companies to do something they wouldn't normally do. But in today's world, regulated media is forced to compete against a lot of unregulated media. That's the situation here. The FCC has no say over what's available on Amazon Prime, Sling, or You Tube TV. And the content companies are starting to transition to the unregulated space where they can charge users directly.

If you are dependent on antenna or digital cable, this is likely not a problem. As mentioned above, PBS Kids is available as a subchannel on over 90% of PBS affiliates. The stuff on PBS Kids is generally higher quality production than anything in the commercial E/I sphere these days. And, it’s 24/7.

Considering the age of Saturday morning cartoons has passed us by, this is by far the best option—especially for us folks on the west coast.

On a personal level, KIRO-TV in Seattle has played 10am and 1pm football games on-time, then go to an E/I program they have to make up, then the evening news. Going live after “Pet Rescue” has to be the worst lead-ins for a local newscast ever!

The whole basis of government regulation is to force companies to do something they wouldn't normally do. But in today's world, regulated media is forced to compete against a lot of unregulated media. That's the situation here. The FCC has no say over what's available on Amazon Prime, Sling, or You Tube TV.

The FCC has no say over Amazon Prime Video, Netflix, etc. yet.

Congress could act to encourage children's programming on those platforms if they desired. It does not seem at the moment that Congress has such intent, but that's something you could envision in a Warren administration, for example.

It does not seem at the moment that Congress has such intent, but that's something you could envision in a Warren administration, for example.

Depends on what happens to Congress. She has a lot of plans, but they all need Congressional approval. A split Congress means nothing happens.

The West Coast TV stations were the problem with having to air E/I & Nature programs because of sports starting at 9AM on the west coast a lot in the fall because of college football & NFL as well.

Today I see kids all the time at the store watching some kids program on moms/dads iPhone online as the parents push them around in the carriage. I bet thats digging in big time with the stations.The FCC now probably said."Why Bother" with the rule now....
stations rather flood the time with infomercials on weekends and most stations have already got the weekday mornings tied up with news programming all the way up to 10 am on some stations............mid afternoons after the news is now tied up with talk shows.No room for kiddies shows any more....

Not related.I'm glad to see TPIR is still on CBS at 11AM est ......

I agree with gr8oldies.We still have PBS for now...

Thanks TheBigA .I understand now...I dont like the idea as running the kidvids on subchannels and it counts as a E/I run....How many parents are going to look for the sub channels.Maybe with program promotion on the station mentioning the sub channel time slot .Maybe it will work...

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.
Back
Top Bottom