• Get involved.
    We want your input!
    Apply for Membership and join the conversations about everything related to broadcasting.

After we receive your registration, a moderator will review it. After your registration is approved, you will be permitted to post.
    If you use a disposable or false email address, your registration will be rejected.

After your membership is approved, please take a minute to tell us a little bit about yourself.
    https://www.radiodiscussions.com/forums/introduce-yourself.1088/

Thanks in advance and have fun!
    RadioDiscussions Administrators

Latest Ratings....

Because both of those iHeart stations have no local sound to them. Movin' isn't the best at it either, but they sound more local than Kiss and KUBE combined.

That's in overall numbers, drill down to specific demos and the race is a little closer.

Ask yourself what happened to KPLZ since last summer.

Movin' wins because they are smart and the iHeart stations continue to be iHeart stations.

Kiss spent almost a year doing a better job of recognition and endorsing Movin's command of the market than promoting Kiss.

KUBE is more worried about Hot 103.7 and vice-versa than they are about Movin'.

Everything you say is true about the Seattle market, but obviously there's something else other CHRs in other markets can learn from KQMV, as they continue to buck national trends. CHR as a format has been trending down lately across markets, with several stations that flipped to the format during the boom of 10 years ago getting out. Yet Seattle continues to do well.

No. Translation is you're gonna tell me and everyone else what you think anyway, so why should we bother?

You've already told us what you think, but you seem to have difficulty providing details or examples of your claims. Again.

I want to know what you claim to hear so I can hear it for myself.

Or are you going to cower and try to sweep what you said under the rug? Again.

I want to know what you claim to hear so I can hear it for myself

A reminder that one doesn't have to live in the market to hear radio today. So OK, here's a nice softball for you to hit:

What I'm hearing is a pretty standard rotation, with a current, recurrent, and gold, but the gold is coming from the mid 2000s. So if you grew up listening to Fitz on the Wolf, you heard the earlier hits by Luke, Jason, or Blake. You may not have heard them lately. A typical currents-based country station might crank up the spins on the currents, but the Wolf is already doing that. They're giving their heavies 65 spins a week.

Everything you say is true about the Seattle market, but obviously there's something else other CHRs in other markets can learn from KQMV, as they continue to buck national trends. CHR as a format has been trending down lately across markets, with several stations that flipped to the format during the boom of 10 years ago getting out. Yet Seattle continues to do well.

Movin' does a great job at being consistent and appealing to adults.

Compare that to Kiss who has been busy with gimmicks and morning show breaks about dog crap (really, five minutes yesterday talking dog feces).

A reminder that one doesn't have to live in the market to hear radio today. So OK, here's a nice softball for you to hit:

What I'm hearing is a pretty standard rotation, with a current, recurrent, and gold, but the gold is coming from the mid 2000s. So if you grew up listening to Fitz on the Wolf, you heard the earlier hits by Luke, Jason, or Blake. You may not have heard them lately. A typical currents-based country station might crank up the spins on the currents, but the Wolf is already doing that. They're giving their heavies 65 spins a week.

Both stations play their heavy currents 60 to 65 spins a week. Difference being Bull plays four of them a week, Wolf plays two.

Both stations are heavy in 2K gold. Bull plays 56 songs from 2000-2009, Wolf plays 83 songs from same period.

Mainstream Rock & Roll, old and new, seems to be on the rise in Seattle. Both, KZOK and KISW, are trending up significantly since March.

Rock seems to suddenly be a thing now (I also notice long hair on guys is making a return.) "Blow" Ed Sheeran (feat. Chris Stapleton and Bruno Mars) is getting serious airplay.......On KISW.

Is it a one-off? A joke? Or a harbinger of something else?

Rock is like a mushroom. It doesn't grow in the mainstream pop realm until conditions are exactly right for it.

Are we there again yet?

Time will tell....

Believe it or not, the song is taking off at Active Rock. Even SiriusXM Octane has put it in regular rotation. Will be interesting to see how far the song goes.

Believe it or not, the song is taking off at Active Rock. Even SiriusXM Octane has put it in regular rotation. Will be interesting to see how far the song goes.

You can also add "Dancing In The Streets" The Struts (a near perfect clone of the 1982 Van Halen version, just a little bit more danceable) that alternative has been playing...

Rock is like a mushroom. It doesn't grow in the mainstream pop realm until conditions are exactly right for it.

My view is it's the other way around. Bruno and Ed are pop stars. But this song definitely has a rock sound to it. So they're bringing their pop fame to the rock genre.

There are a lot of pop stars in the Rock & Roll Hall of Fame. At least two country stars too.

My view is it's the other way around. Bruno and Ed are pop stars. But this song definitely has a rock sound to it. So they're bringing their pop fame to the rock genre.

There are a lot of pop stars in the Rock & Roll Hall of Fame. At least two country stars too.

But in rock radio, pop's influence is limited. Prince's Let's Go Crazy got airplay on AOR and helped solidify his credentials with an epic guitar solo that remains a landmark. That doesn't come easily to just anyone. There's still a reason why Taylor Swift isn't played on KISW.

Now if Taylor Swift put out a metal album, that may change. But KISW has traditionally avoided most pop acts (even with rock songs) of any sort unless it was a part of a joke, a radiothon, a bet loss or something. Which is why the "Blow" song was such a surprise.

But on pop radio, when rock enters, it's a near utter takeover (as evidenced by the post-disco, hair metal and grunge trends.) It doesn't really work the other way around.

Could it? Possibly. But that's up to the fans. But I hope it doesn't take off in any major way because the only major benefit I see to having multi-genre hopping artists is to their labels and I'm afraid that will shut out a lot of not-so-fluid acts. It's homogeneous enough as it is.

It's homogeneous enough as it is.

Sheeren had a busy year last year. He did a lot of collaborations with a lot of musicians in a lot of genres. A lot of that music is starting to come out. He wrote a song with Kenny Chesney that's getting airplay on country radio. They're playing it on The Bull. So yes there's some homogenization going on. But when you're a star as big as Sheeren, everyone wants a piece.

But in rock radio, pop's influence is limited. Prince's Let's Go Crazy got airplay on AOR and helped solidify his credentials with an epic guitar solo that remains a landmark. That doesn't come easily to just anyone. There's still a reason why Taylor Swift isn't played on KISW.

Now if Taylor Swift put out a metal album, that may change. But KISW has traditionally avoided most pop acts (even with rock songs) of any sort unless it was a part of a joke, a radiothon, a bet loss or something. Which is why the "Blow" song was such a surprise.

But on pop radio, when rock enters, it's a near utter takeover (as evidenced by the post-disco, hair metal and grunge trends.) It doesn't really work the other way around.

Could it? Possibly. But that's up to the fans. But I hope it doesn't take off in any major way because the only major benefit I see to having multi-genre hopping artists is to their labels and I'm afraid that will shut out a lot of not-so-fluid acts. It's homogeneous enough as it is.

The way Rock is being slowly marginalized, perhaps such an infusion of pop acts doing rock is what it needs to bring it back towards the mainstream. I'll admit I haven't heard the Sheeran track yet. Curious as to how it sounds. I took a long listen to KISW's main channel (not the HD2, which I have been listening to more lately) and was pleasantly surprised with some of the newer tracks -- a bit more industrial / hip-hop production, of course with heavy guitars, on some of them.

The way Rock is being slowly marginalized, perhaps such an infusion of pop acts doing rock is what it needs to bring it back towards the mainstream. I'll admit I haven't heard the Sheeran track yet. Curious as to how it sounds. I took a long listen to KISW's main channel (not the HD2, which I have been listening to more lately) and was pleasantly surprised with some of the newer tracks -- a bit more industrial / hip-hop production, of course with heavy guitars, on some of them.

Here it is: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=42SM_TeWE5s

Perhaps from the sound of it, it's like their way of trying to appeal to some Gen-Z's girls doubting and seriously balding middle-age former headbanger dads. The production is top notch. Z-Rock would have been all over this one in 1990 (it honestly sounds like something they would have played back then. In high rotation.) So on that, I can say they've succeeded at it quite well.

Or at least better than Vince Neil himself these days (Dude. The torch has been passed. Let go. Now.)

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.
Back
Top Bottom