Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234

Thread: Latest Ratings....

Quote Originally Posted by Bongwater View Post
    It's homogeneous enough as it is.
    Sheeren had a busy year last year. He did a lot of collaborations with a lot of musicians in a lot of genres. A lot of that music is starting to come out. He wrote a song with Kenny Chesney that's getting airplay on country radio. They're playing it on The Bull. So yes there's some homogenization going on. But when you're a star as big as Sheeren, everyone wants a piece.

Quote Originally Posted by Bongwater View Post
    But in rock radio, pop's influence is limited. Prince's Let's Go Crazy got airplay on AOR and helped solidify his credentials with an epic guitar solo that remains a landmark. That doesn't come easily to just anyone. There's still a reason why Taylor Swift isn't played on KISW.

Now if Taylor Swift put out a metal album, that may change. But KISW has traditionally avoided most pop acts (even with rock songs) of any sort unless it was a part of a joke, a radiothon, a bet loss or something. Which is why the "Blow" song was such a surprise.

But on pop radio, when rock enters, it's a near utter takeover (as evidenced by the post-disco, hair metal and grunge trends.) It doesn't really work the other way around.

Could it? Possibly. But that's up to the fans. But I hope it doesn't take off in any major way because the only major benefit I see to having multi-genre hopping artists is to their labels and I'm afraid that will shut out a lot of not-so-fluid acts. It's homogeneous enough as it is.
    The way Rock is being slowly marginalized, perhaps such an infusion of pop acts doing rock is what it needs to bring it back towards the mainstream. I'll admit I haven't heard the Sheeran track yet. Curious as to how it sounds. I took a long listen to KISW's main channel (not the HD2, which I have been listening to more lately) and was pleasantly surprised with some of the newer tracks -- a bit more industrial / hip-hop production, of course with heavy guitars, on some of them.

Quote Originally Posted by boombox4 View Post
    The way Rock is being slowly marginalized, perhaps such an infusion of pop acts doing rock is what it needs to bring it back towards the mainstream. I'll admit I haven't heard the Sheeran track yet. Curious as to how it sounds. I took a long listen to KISW's main channel (not the HD2, which I have been listening to more lately) and was pleasantly surprised with some of the newer tracks -- a bit more industrial / hip-hop production, of course with heavy guitars, on some of them.
    Here it is: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=42SM_TeWE5s

Perhaps from the sound of it, it's like their way of trying to appeal to some Gen-Z's girls doubting and seriously balding middle-age former headbanger dads. The production is top notch. Z-Rock would have been all over this one in 1990 (it honestly sounds like something they would have played back then. In high rotation.) So on that, I can say they've succeeded at it quite well.

Or at least better than Vince Neil himself these days (Dude. The torch has been passed. Let go. Now.)
    My body is a temple; Ancient and crumbling. Probably cursed and haunted...

Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234