Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: KYW

Quote Originally Posted by Route 222 View Post
    I hate to bring up the topic again because I know it's been discussed before, but it's been a little while and with KYW's continually slipping numbers and AM radio on the slip as a whole, there has got to come a point sometime soon I would think that the inevitable will eventually happen. That is, when will KYW finally go on FM? Does anyone see that happening anytime soon?
    Train has probably passed to KYW to go to FM? But this is not 2008-2009 anymore. When KCBS Radio went on 106.9 FM in San Francisco under CBS Radio management, 106.9 FM San Francisco was then the low rated station in the Bay Area. Also around that time KCBS Radio had to respond to San Francisco audiences migrating to FM to go after the NPR News/Talk affiliate KQED Radio.

All News WBBM Radio went to FM too when CBS Radio had a low rated station they could blow up at the time for an FM Simulcast for WBBM All News. When KCBS and WBBM did all news on FM at the time the Smartphone and tablets success were then facing uncertainties at the time though given that they were starting to enter the marketplace. Also TV Apps were not well known yet compared to the past 5 years.

But in 2019 some of the newer cars may have dashboard apps to deal with and how entercom responds to that specifically is a wait and see. Also even newer TV's like Amazon Fire have the radio.com app to get the younger demos.

https://www.android.com/auto/

https://www.apple.com/ios/carplay/

Betw Hazleton and Pottsville PA ; Allentown closest market
    @ Big A :
    Unaware of any statistics, I hear you, about the acclaim of the WTOP website. I visit them a few times per week on my refitted Commodore 16.
    Same thing for the KNX and WBZ streams.
    KYW and WCBS 880 come in well enough by me. Heck -- I've gotta put SOME use to these things in the house .... a cool 1960's-ish Zenith barbershop radio, two GE Superadio 2's, a mini Grundig G-8, a Hammarlund HQ-180, and a radio/can opener that came with the kitchen when we bought it.

My gripe with KYW and other stations (me a slightly doddering boomer at this point) is that they go too fast and there are too many 'HD-this' and 'HD-that' and 'web-site-this'for me to keep track of or otherwise give a flying one about. Of course, it's obvious that AM radio stations (and even some recent FM stations) have to use whatever tools they possess to try and expand their bases for survival. Still, even using that as a curve on which to grade KYW, it is no longer a time-spent-listening here at the kitchen breakfast table for more than ten minutes.

Quote Originally Posted by Steve Green NEPA View Post
    My gripe with KYW and other stations (me a slightly doddering boomer at this point) is that they go too fast and there are too many 'HD-this' and 'HD-that' and 'web-site-this'for me to keep track of or otherwise give a flying one about.
    Unfortunately for you, that's not going to change. The overall view is that news radio moves too slow, so they will continue to need to push people elsewhere for the deeper details. Otherwise you end up sounding like WHYY....

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12