Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: KYW

KYW

I hate to bring up the topic again because I know it's been discussed before, but it's been a little while and with KYW's continually slipping numbers and AM radio on the slip as a whole, there has got to come a point sometime soon I would think that the inevitable will eventually happen. That is, when will KYW finally go on FM? Does anyone see that happening anytime soon?

Quote Originally Posted by Route 222 View Post
    Does anyone see that happening anytime soon?
    I doubt you'll see any action until the FCC announces its report regarding ownership limits this fall. Because as of now Entercom doesn't own any FMs they'd likely want to blow up. While WTDY seems like the weakest link, it also has the youngest average audience. So blowing up a young station for a simulcast of another older station doesn't seem like a good idea.

IHeart has the same problem in Boston. Its FMs all skew much younger than news/talk and there's no guarantee that WBZ's format will find a fountain of youth just by switching bands. Maybe it will win back a few geezers who've drifted away to WGBH, WBUR or even one of the FM sports talkers, but that's not going to make it any more attractive to advertisers. Of course, if automakers force broadcasting's hand by eliminating AM from car radios -- the way it disappeared from component-system tuners long before -- then there may be no other choice but to go to FM and hope for a sea change in millennials' know-nothing "whatever, dude" attitude toward news.

That last sentence is bogus. Every generation has its members who are more or less engaged with current affairs. Simply because the means and outlets millennials are using may be different, the idea they’re disengaged as a whole is nonsense.

Quote Originally Posted by CTListener View Post
    IHeart has the same problem in Boston. Its FMs all skew much younger than news/talk and there's no guarantee that WBZ's format will find a fountain of youth just by switching bands.
    The OP isn't about bringing in younger demos, but improving declining ratings. KYW may have declining ratings, but it still beats WHYY. So adding an FM simulcast doesn't necessarily guarantee an increase in ratings. Perhaps Philadelphia is becoming like most cities, where all-news radio simply isn't going to attract big numbers.

CTListener, as a millennial, I can tell you for a fact you're unbelievably wrong. We're the most in touch with news a generation has ever been. We care a ton, as you can with some of the youngest people elected to congress ever, thanks to millennials. So, again, you're completely misinformed.

Here's how millennials (21-34) get their news. Podcasts, NPR fm stations, apps, the internet as a whole. Obviously we're much more liberal than the other generations so it's mostly liberal online sources.

Now, if KYW 1060 were to get a FM signal, you are right about that CTL. It wouldn't do much good, because we're already not listening to KYW on 1060, 94.1 HD-2 or online. It wants to be a millennial news source, but it's not, it's a boomer news source, which is fine! It needs to better appeal to the audience that's listening.
    Host on Rowan Radio 89.7 WGLS-FM

Radio DX'er- using Grundig Sat. 750, Tecsun PL-880

Quote Originally Posted by radiodx10 View Post

Here's how millennials (21-34) get their news. Podcasts, NPR fm stations, apps, the internet as a whole. Obviously we're much more liberal than the other generations so it's mostly liberal online sources.
    Not exactly true since some far-right bloggers, including some of the current editors at Breitbart, are millennials.

Quote Originally Posted by TheBigA View Post
    The OP isn't about bringing in younger demos, but improving declining ratings. KYW may have declining ratings, but it still beats WHYY. So adding an FM simulcast doesn't necessarily guarantee an increase in ratings. Perhaps Philadelphia is becoming like most cities, where all-news radio simply isn't going to attract big numbers.
    Pondering a bit more about that last sentence. Is it simply the point in time where all news radio is becoming anachronistic? I remember the days of WIP having a full news staff. Twice hourly newscasts 24x7, on a music station. No one would suggest that makes sense today. Perhaps it’s simply closing in on the time it makes similarly little sense for an all news format.

There’s local news on TV (and the accompanying streams) something like 12 hours a day on weekdays. Clips and related content being churned out on multiple platforms around the clock. Cable news around the clock. Other media on demand. I speak only for myself here, but would KYW on FM matter a hill of beans to me? No.

My grandmother(!) had KYW on the radio every waking moment....except when her “stories” were on. Back then, the other options on TV were about 3 or 4 scattered half hour newscasts, and CNN wasn’t even a twinkle in Ted Turner’s eye.

That ain’t the world we live in now.

Quote Originally Posted by Route 222 View Post
    I hate to bring up the topic again because I know it's been discussed before, but it's been a little while and with KYW's continually slipping numbers and AM radio on the slip as a whole, there has got to come a point sometime soon I would think that the inevitable will eventually happen. That is, when will KYW finally go on FM? Does anyone see that happening anytime soon?

Wouldn't Entercom be more interested in promoting the radio.com app over putting one of their stations on FM to attract a demo. As in get the target demo to listen to their all news stations on an app over FM?

Quote Originally Posted by AbrahamJSimpson View Post
    Is it simply the point in time where all news radio is becoming anachronistic?
    It certainly is in most places. But Philadelphia (and Detroit) seem to hang on to things longer than other places. For some, the KYW ratings may be shocking, but we also read how some listeners are angry when the station changes its sounders or moves its clock around. The reality is they will have to change in some way to grow.

Quote Originally Posted by RadioPatrol View Post
    Wouldn't Entercom be more interested in promoting the radio.com app over putting one of their stations on FM to attract a demo.
    I think that's exactly right. I was reading that WTOP's website is the #1 local news source in DC, more than the TV stations. That should be a goal of KYW.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast