Thread: Country Gold--geographically challenged...

Country Gold--geographically challenged...

Saw a post on Media Confidential about a radio show called Country Gold which has added stations like "WKPA/Boston".
    Huh?

Then I went to the show's site
    MASSACHUSETTS
    Boston (Manchester)
    WKPE-FM (sic)
    Sun 7pm – 11pm

Boston (Manchester)
    WORC-FM (sic)
    Sun 8pm – 12am

So it's WKPE not WKPA...and, Manchester? No, Cape Cod.
    And WORC...Manchester? No, that's Nash Icon in Worcester

Not a new thing to claim distant stations as serving a market. Things like having Dennis Miller's former talk show saying to
    be in the Boston market when at the time it was only at WTPL, Hillsboro NH near Concord.

Quote Originally Posted by raccoonradio View Post
    Saw a post on Media Confidential about a radio show called Country Gold which has added stations like "WKPA/Boston".
    Huh?

Then I went to the show's site
    MASSACHUSETTS
    Boston (Manchester)
    WKPE-FM (sic)
    Sun 7pm – 11pm

Boston (Manchester)
    WORC-FM (sic)
    Sun 8pm – 12am

So it's WKPE not WKPA...and, Manchester? No, Cape Cod.
    And WORC...Manchester? No, that's Nash Icon in Worcester

Not a new thing to claim distant stations as serving a market. Things like having Dennis Miller's former talk show saying to
    be in the Boston market when at the time it was only at WTPL, Hillsboro NH near Concord.
    The show's sales weasels must figure advertisers aren't the sharpest tools in the shed and that no one will look too closely at the list.

Yup you're cleared in Boston.

Quote Originally Posted by raccoonradio View Post
    Yep. It's been done for years. I remember a small AM station in Mount Pocono, Pennsylvania being listed as the Philadelphia affiliate for some show or network.
    Brammy

My Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/mpbramhall82

My Retail Message Board: http://amesfanclub.com/forum/index.php

My Writing Portfolio: https://www.Writing.Com/authors/slydogg

Tune into The Freestyle Lives Show hosted by Richie Rich Sunday Nights 6PM-8PM (Eastern) on La Mega 101.7 (910) in Hartford, La Mega 94.9 (890) in Boston, and La Mega 95.1 (1400) in Lawrence.

They should use the RADIO markets, not the TV markets for things like this, so that WKPE would be listed as a Cape Cod station, WORC would be listed as a Worcester station, WTPL would be listed as a Manchester station, etc

I remember ,in 1992, the USA Radio Network, in their media kit, listed WGAW-1340 (Gardner, Mass) as their Boston affiliate.

Moderator/Co-Administrator
    Quote Originally Posted by Tomgsinger View Post
    They should use the RADIO markets, not the TV markets for things like this, so that WKPE would be listed as a Cape Cod station, WORC would be listed as a Worcester station, WTPL would be listed as a Manchester station, etc
    Yeah, you hit the key point: networks use DMA markets and not MSA to list affiliates.
    www.americanradiohistory.com
    Broadcasting Magazine and Yearbooks, Billboard, Cash Box, R&R, Record World, Music & Media, Audio, Television/Radio Age, R&R, Duncan's American Radio, Popular Electronics, Studio Sound, Broadcast Engineering, db, and more.