Thread: how does your local market issue Amber Alerts via Emergency Alert System.

how does your local market issue Amber Alerts via Emergency Alert System.

i decided to ask a question related to the Amber Alert after hearing that there was a Amber Alert being issued by the Dallas Police for a missing one year old boy on Wednesday. i want to know how your local market does Amber Alert related Emergency Alert System activation.

Since i'm the thread starter and from the DFW area, the birthplace of the Amber Alert, which was named in memory of Amber Hagerman, a 9 year old girl who was kidnapped in a parking lot of a abandon grocery store in Arlington, TX and brutally murdered and found death in a creek near a apartment complex near by in Arlington a few days later in January 1996. The Amber Alert was created by DFW media (mostly WBAP and KRLD) to issue alerts for kidnapped children to hunt for the kidnapped kid/kids and their kidnapper/kidnappers. the Amber Alerts first started in the Summer of 1997. The idea came from concern parents and the media after one parent had a idea of a system to issue alerts similar to the NWS weather alert that are issued via Emergency Alert System (and it's predecessor the Emergency Broadcast System). The Amber Alerts in North Texas had a sound that is very scary that sound like a mix of a Tornado Siren, a train or the THX sound.

In the birthplace of the Amber Alert, the alert is issued by the local police via fax, then arrives to the primary EAS station which is 820 AM WBAP, and it's sister station 96.3 FM KSCS (which when the Amber Alert was created, they were owned by the Walt Disney Company via it's ABC Radio subsidy, which has since been sold to Citadel then later on Cumulus), they then issue the alert via EAS which they use the EAS tones, follow by the Amber Alert sound then have the alert be read by a reporter from the WBAP newsroom and then after they are done with the alert telling about the kidnapped child/children and their kidnapper/kidnappers and the details of what they were last seen wearing, the car they were last seen in, the last place they were seen from, and the police info they follow it with the EAS end tones.

i want to know, does your local market issue the Amber Alert using the Amber Alert sound as heard here in the video link i'm providing you with from Youtube along with the EAS tones or is it issue with just the EAS tones only

this is the video, which is the Amber Alert sound:
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Srsg0T1-6_Y.

if this thread does well, then maybe i or someone could create a spin-off thread for how your market does EAS alerts for everything else, including the EAS Test.

Quote Originally Posted by Will_H_69_9 View Post
    i decided to ask a question related to the Amber Alert after hearing that there was a Amber Alert being issued by the Dallas Police for a missing one year old boy on Wednesday. i want to know how your local market does Amber Alert related Emergency Alert System activation.

Since i'm the thread starter and from the DFW area, the birthplace of the Amber Alert, which was named in memory of Amber Hagerman, a 9 year old girl who was kidnapped in a parking lot of a abandon grocery store in Arlington, TX and brutally murdered and found death in a creek near a apartment complex near by in Arlington a few days later in January 1996. The Amber Alert was created by DFW media (mostly WBAP and KRLD) to issue alerts for kidnapped children to hunt for the kidnapped kid/kids and their kidnapper/kidnappers. the Amber Alerts first started in the Summer of 1997. The idea came from concern parents and the media after one parent had a idea of a system to issue alerts similar to the NWS weather alert that are issued via Emergency Alert System (and it's predecessor the Emergency Broadcast System). The Amber Alerts in North Texas had a sound that is very scary that sound like a mix of a Tornado Siren, a train or the THX sound.

In the birthplace of the Amber Alert, the alert is issued by the local police via fax, then arrives to the primary EAS station which is 820 AM WBAP, and it's sister station 96.3 FM KSCS (which when the Amber Alert was created, they were owned by the Walt Disney Company via it's ABC Radio subsidy, which has since been sold to Citadel then later on Cumulus), they then issue the alert via EAS which they use the EAS tones, follow by the Amber Alert sound then have the alert be read by a reporter from the WBAP newsroom and then after they are done with the alert telling about the kidnapped child/children and their kidnapper/kidnappers and the details of what they were last seen wearing, the car they were last seen in, the last place they were seen from, and the police info they follow it with the EAS end tones.

i want to know, does your local market issue the Amber Alert using the Amber Alert sound as heard here in the video link i'm providing you with from Youtube along with the EAS tones or is it issue with just the EAS tones only

this is the video, which is the Amber Alert sound:
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Srsg0T1-6_Y.

if this thread does well, then maybe i or someone could create a spin-off thread for how your market does EAS alerts for everything else, including the EAS Test.

In San Francisco I know that All News KCBS is the one that issues the EAS and Amber Alerts to clients of Total Traffic San Francisco outlets.

While I've never heard the Amber Alert sound, I know that here in Washington DC, WTOP is the primary EAS relay station. Last month, WTOP ran a test around 9pm and there was a hiccup in the system, briefly causing all DC-area TV & radio stations to air WTOP's audio after the test had been completed.

https://www.washingtonian.com/2019/0...ns-last-night/