• Get involved.
    We want your input!
    Apply for Membership and join the conversations about everything related to broadcasting.

After we receive your registration, a moderator will review it. After your registration is approved, you will be permitted to post.
    If you use a disposable or false email address, your registration will be rejected.

After your membership is approved, please take a minute to tell us a little bit about yourself.
    https://www.radiodiscussions.com/forums/introduce-yourself.1088/

Thanks in advance and have fun!
    RadioDiscussions Administrators

'Friends' Officially Leaving Netflix for WarnerMedia's Streaming Service

https://www.hollywoodreporter.com/l...etflix-warnermedias-streaming-service-1223151

HBO Max will also be the new streaming home for fare from The CW and feature original movies from Greg Berlanti and Reese Witherspoon.
It's official: Friends is moving from Netflix to WarnerMedia's streaming service, now officially called HBO Max.

HBO Max will also be the new streaming home for all fare from The CW (which was previously housed at Netflix) as well as original feature films from prolific producer Greg Berlanti and Reese Witherspoon. HBO Max will officially launch in spring 2020 and will debut with 10,000 hours of premium content. Sources say WarnerMedia paid $85 million per year for five years ($425 million total) to land Friends for its own service, outbidding Netflix for the ensemble comedy starring Jennifer Aniston. Netflix responded to the news with a tweet Tuesday.

Yes This is Warner Media's way to to go after Netflix and Hulu. This move is Similar when Disney removed all 20th Century Fox and Disney owned content from Netflix a few months ago and moved them to Disney owned venues like Hulu, ABC and the pending Disney+.

Kind of an interesting situation, in that Warner owns the distribution on Friends, but still had to pay a rights fee to the producers. It's the gift that keeps on giving. Its not exactly free content for them.

Yes This is Warner Media's way to to go after Netflix and Hulu. This move is Similar when Disney removed all 20th Century Fox and Disney owned content from Netflix a few months ago and moved them to Disney owned venues like Hulu, ABC and the pending Disney+.[/QUOTE]

And I am sure that people can rent Friends on dvd if they want to see any of the episodes, and plus I also imagine that shows also play on regular and cable tv stations as well if people want to watch Friends, since Netflix can't keep every movie and tv series on the stream, movies and tv series have to come and leave the stream has points, where renting them on dvd or blurry that they are avalaible and there is no wait long or short to them.

I’m particularly curious how situations like this will change streaming. For years, Netflix was the only real steaming app around. In the past two years since the distributors (Disney, Warner, etc) have wised up to “cord-cutting”, they have started their own premium streaming services. It’s gotten to the point where it’s nearly headache-inducing trying to figure out what shows have moved to what streaming app.

Question is: Are people going to be willing to continuously pay for a half dozen streaming services to get 1-2 desired shows on demand out of each, will we see folks returning to cable (paying $50+ for streaming services almost negates the whole idea of getting rid of cable to begin with), or will we see a second wind of piracy?

Question is: Are people going to be willing to continuously pay for a half dozen streaming services to get 1-2 desired shows on demand out of each, will we see folks returning to cable (paying $50+ for streaming services almost negates the whole idea of getting rid of cable to begin with), or will we see a second wind of piracy?

The two main factors are price and convenience. As indicated in the linked article, Warner is struggling with pricing the service so it doesn't steal customers from their other services, and is less expensive than Netflix. The next question people will need to ask is what shows do I REALLY want to watch? So that puts the onus on the customer to come up with the package that gives them the shows they want at the price they want to pay.

The irony here is that just a few years ago, people were demanding ala carte cable, because they were paying for channels they didn't watch. Now they have more choices than they can imagine, and they have to decide how they want to get the best deal. In the end, more choices mean more work for the customer, but potentially they can get a better deal than they got previously.

i think the Netflix bubble's about to bust big time, plus i wouldn't be surprise if in 5 to 10 years from now we will see all the streaming services had towards a direction where people will demand the servies like Hulu, Disney Plus, HBO Max, etc to end up being bundled together similar to how TV networks from different companies are bundled together in certain packages for Cable and Satellite TV right now.

if Netflix don't adapt to changing streaming market, they will end up going the way of Blockbuster Video.

i think the Netflix bubble's about to bust big time, plus i wouldn't be surprise if in 5 to 10 years from now we will see all the streaming services had towards a direction where people will demand the servies like Hulu, Disney Plus, HBO Max, etc to end up being bundled together similar to how TV networks from different companies are bundled together in certain packages for Cable and Satellite TV right now.

if Netflix don't adapt to changing streaming market, they will end up going the way of Blockbuster Video.

I don't know if I would see them closing as Blockbuster, as they still have millions of people that get their services in one form or another, or rent dvd/blurays while also streaming as well. I don't see how Disney Plus can or will ever be bundled together since they are having their own steaming services that is set to debut later on this fall.

https://deadline.com/2019/07/netfli...ance-to-compete-barry-diller-says-1202644469/

Netflix has “won the game” as far as streaming, according to media mogul Barry Diller, but among its soon-to-launch rivals, he said Disney has “the best chance” to apply pressure.

Diller made the comments during a CNBC interview Wednesday in Sun Valley, ID, where he’s attending Allen & Co.’s annual retreat. (See full video below.)

“No one is going to compete with Netflix in gross subscribers,” Diller said. “I believe they have won the game. … There’s nothing I can see that’s going to dislodge them.”

The assessment from Diller is not completely new. During a podcast interview with Recode’s Kara Swisher in February, the IAC chairman and former studio boss at Fox called Hollywood “irrelevant.” He went on to say, “Those who chase Netflix are fools.” In the months since, the streaming derby only has grown more dynamic. Disney and Apple have announced details of their plans, with Disney locking up control of Hulu. WarnerMedia has articulated a combo model with ad-supported and subscription versions under the newly minted name HBO Max. NBCUniversal, meanwhile, is favoring advertising and its 50 million-plus pay-TV homes with its streaming approach.

Here is another one.

https://deadline.com/2020/02/friend...ing-jennifer-aniston-courtney-cox-1202865593/

HBO Max to get Friends in May

It’s official. Months after the 25th anniversary of the launch of Friends, the cast will be reuniting exclusively for an untitled unscripted special for HBO Max. It will be directed by Ben Winston and produced by Fulwell 73 (The Late Late Show with James Corden) and Warner Bros. Unscripted & Alternative Television.

Series stars Jennifer Aniston, Courteney Cox, Lisa Kudrow, Matt LeBlanc, Matthew Perry, and David Schwimmer will return to the iconic comedy’s original soundstage, Stage 24, on the Warner Bros. Studio lot in Burbank to film the reunion special. The sextet also will serve as executive producers alongside Friends creators Kevin Bright, Marta Kauffman and David Crane.

The special, along with all 236 episodes of the Emmy-winning 1994-2004 NBC series, will be available to subscribers at the launch of HBO Max in May.

Hmmm. It says "an untitled unscripted special." That sounds like they're sitting around telling stories about the original series, not actually acting in character. I don't know what's better: The actors revisiting the series (which they've done in countless individual interviews), or having the original characters reuniting on the set 25 years later, picking up where they left off. It sounds like they're not doing the latter.

Will Friends still be available on TBS after HBO Max starts? They have recently been advertising showing every episode from the beginning in order as if it will be the final run of the show on TBS.

https://www.fiercevideo.com/video/hbo-max-picks-may-27-launch-date

HBO Max proposed launch date is May 27th.

HBO Max, AT&T’s upcoming subscription streaming service, has chosen May 27 as its launch date and has announced the slate of originals that will be available on day one.

Originals available at launch including “Love Life,” starring Anna Kendrick; documentary series “On the Record;” reality competition series “Craftopia;” the new “Looney Tunes Cartoons;” and “The Not Too Late Show with Elmo.” HBO Max will continue getting new originals including “The Flight Attendant,” the “Friends” reunion special, “Doom Patrol,” “Search Party,” “Expecting Amy,” “Raised by Wolves,” “Close Enough,” and “Adventure Time: Distant Lands- BMO.”

At launch, HBO Max will also include the entire HBO service along with licensed programs including “Friends,” “The Big Bang Theory,” “Doctor Who,” “Rick and Morty,” “The Bachelor,” “Sesame Street,” and “The Fresh Prince of Bel-Air.” The service will also include a library of more than 2,000 films in the first year.

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.
Back
Top Bottom