Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Univision "sale"?

Moderator/Co-Administrator
    Quote Originally Posted by Radiomusik View Post
    And what would happen to the Televisa networks in Mexico? Would Televisa be rebranded and merged into Univision or Univisa? Or remain as Televisa? What you mentioned about Grupo Prisa acquiring Univision Radio makes perfect sense to me. I guess all the Latino Mix formats in the United States would be rebranded into Los 40. And all the Regional Mexican radio stations would be rebranded to Ke Buena.

If MVS acquires Univision Radio, the result would be,

Amor, Recuerdo, KLOVE, KQ to FM Globo
    Que Buena, La Jefa, Zona MX to La Mejor
    Latino Mix, La X, Mix to EXA FM
    Televisa is a heritage name in Mexico, and it operates various networks under that banner. There is no need to rebrand.

Televisa is the bigger company, so it is likely that the branding in Mexico would not change and the established Univision name in the US would not, either. Rebranding is generally a sign of failure. Neither operation even remotely qualifies as "failed".

Prisa does not routinely change brands on highly successful stations, with the only exception being that CHR stations that already exist are given the 40 (Principales) brand. Ke Buena is not likely, although in the US Univision has the service mark going back to KBNA in El Paso under TMS, the brand was not defended and there are many non-Univision users, starting in LA.

The "los 40 Principales" brand goes back to the original FM in Madrid back in '66 or '67. It has sentimental significance, but the current heads of Prisa are not part of that regime.

As to MVS (which likely does not have the strength to do a $1 billion plus deal) they would see that K-Love is a 40-year heritage brand. Globo is a tired Mexican brand that Joaquin Vargas used in the late 60's when he built a bunch of FMs when the band was not popular.

MVS is principally interested in TV and video now, not radio.

KQ in Puerto Rico is one of the most heritage brands in the world. The WKAQ brand goes back to the first Puerto Rican station in 1922. KQ as a CHR dates back to 1968 and has enormous equity in the market. It would not be rebranded with a very stale AC type name; "KQ" in Puerto Rico is, format-wise, a really a true CHR, not the slow rotation pseudo-CHR that Exa is.

La Mejor is a rather horrible name, used in Mexico because the good names were already taken.

Exa is an MVS brand, of course. The name has no meaning in the US, and its format has never worked on the US side of the border, such as El Paso, San Diego, etc. In part, that is because it is essentially a slow-rotation CHR playing mostly English music with Spanish announcing and commercials. In the US, CHR partisans like the better and faster rotations of each market's big English language CHR, and the EXA strategy does not work.

"Amor" is a much better name than Globo for today's listeners. It packs emotion, while "Globo" sounds like an old newspaper name. It is almost as bad as Vargas' original FMs that carried the Estéreo Rey name.
    Last edited by DavidEduardo; 07-11-2019 at 01:54 AM.
    www.americanradiohistory.com
    Broadcasting Magazine and Yearbooks, Billboard, Cash Box, R&R, Record World, Music & Media, Audio, Television/Radio Age, R&R, Duncan's American Radio, Popular Electronics, Studio Sound, Broadcast Engineering, db, and more.

Quote Originally Posted by DavidEduardo View Post

Televisa is a heritage name in Mexico, and it operates various networks under that banner. There is no need to rebrand.

Televisa is the bigger company, so it is likely that the branding in Mexico would not change and the established Univision name in the US would not, either. Rebranding is generally a sign of failure. Neither operation even remotely qualifies as "failed".

Prisa does not routinely change brands on highly successful stations, with the only exception being that CHR stations that already exist are given the 40 (Principales) brand. Ke Buena is not likely, although in the US Univision has the service mark going back to KBNA in El Paso under TMS, the brand was not defended and there are many non-Univision users, starting in LA.

Exactly what I speculated. A complete waste of money if a rebrand would happen to any of the networks. Both sides of the border already has a very well established mark in Spanish-language television history. Despite you speculate PRISA could acquire Uforia Univision Radio stations. What changes could we see in terms of content and music in their current corresponding formats (Amor, Recuerdo, Que Buena, Zona MX, KQ, Latino Mix) once new owners take over?

Quote Originally Posted by DavidEduardo View Post
    It is almost as bad as Vargas' original FMs that carried the Estéreo Rey name.
    Ah, memories of driving across the desert and into the Estereo Rey Mexicali coverage area. It sounded like someone got their hands on a Jam or TM Century jingle package, poorly translated some liners into English, and then hired the guy who announced the cut numbers on the jingle demo to voice the liners. English-language mid-chart stiffs, English-language jingles, and Spanish-language commercials. It was terrible radio, but I looked forward to hearing it every time I made the drive.
    The opinions expressed are my own and do not necessarily reflect those of my employers. Retweets are not endorsements.

Exactly what I speculated. A complete waste of money if a rebrand would happen to any of the networks. Both sides of the border already has a very well established mark in Spanish-language television history. Despite you speculate PRISA could acquire Uforia Univision Radio stations. What changes could we see in terms of content and music in their current corresponding formats (Amor, Recuerdo, Que Buena, Zona MX, KQ, Latino Mix) once new owners take over?
    To circle back to your first point:

If it's working, why mess with the radio properties?
    The opinions expressed are my own and do not necessarily reflect those of my employers. Retweets are not endorsements.

Today the Wall Street Journal is reporting that John Malone might be back in the hunt for Univision:

Univision's problems could provide a way for Liberty Media chief John Malone to buy it, a Wall Street Journal columnist suggests. The company's financial picture has deteriorated since Malone put in a bid in 2017, and other media giants are distracted with ongoing projects, the columnist explains.

Que Buena, La Jefa, Zona MX to La Mejor
    Latino Mix, La X, Mix to EXA FM
    There is a few "La Mejor" stations operating here in the US already. There is also one Exa in Las Vegas (well, two if you count Ciudas Juarez/El Paso).

Moderator/Co-Administrator
    Quote Originally Posted by BamaTX View Post
    There is a few "La Mejor" stations operating here in the US already. There is also one Exa in Las Vegas (well, two if you count Ciudas Juarez/El Paso).
    There is an Exa in Tijuana. Neither gets any kind of numbers in the US side ratings. Both are MVS stations, programmed out of Mexico City.

The Exa in Las Vegas barely gets a signal into the metro and has not met minimum reporting standards for the last 13 books.
    www.americanradiohistory.com
    Broadcasting Magazine and Yearbooks, Billboard, Cash Box, R&R, Record World, Music & Media, Audio, Television/Radio Age, R&R, Duncan's American Radio, Popular Electronics, Studio Sound, Broadcast Engineering, db, and more.

Latest from the LA Times, "Univision still has $7.5 billion in debt, and some possible buyers have much on their plate. Disney, for example, is busy trying to absorb much of Rupert Murdoch’s 21st Century Fox, a $71.3-billion deal that was completed in March. AT&T Inc. is under pressure to slash its enormous debt load after buying Time Warner for $85 billion. CBS is again flirting with buying Viacom. However, Liberty Media Chairman John Malone has been looking for properties to buy on the cheap. And Discovery may make another bid, though well below the $12-billion offer that Univision rejected just two years ago.

Another potential buyer is Televisa, but it is grappling with its own struggles in Mexico — and it would be happy to see Univision absorbed by a large U.S. media company, according to two knowledgeable people."

So far what I see it's between Liberty Media and Televisa.

https://www.latimes.com/business/hol...715-story.html
    Last edited by Radiomusik; 07-15-2019 at 10:34 PM.

So far what I see it's between Liberty Media and Televisa.
    In which case, what happens to radio?

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12