• Get involved.
    We want your input!
    Apply for Membership and join the conversations about everything related to broadcasting.

After we receive your registration, a moderator will review it. After your registration is approved, you will be permitted to post.
    If you use a disposable or false email address, your registration will be rejected.

After your membership is approved, please take a minute to tell us a little bit about yourself.
    https://www.radiodiscussions.com/forums/introduce-yourself.1088/

Thanks in advance and have fun!
    RadioDiscussions Administrators

Angel Donato

Entercom is ruthless!
That’s pretty much any company though. E-com just happens to be balancing out their budget currently.

Compared to other companies like i<3 or the Cloud, they’ve been relatively easy on cutting talent. If my memory serves me correctly, E-com rarely does mass firings.

Last edited:
Entercom is ruthless!

I don't know if they're any more or less ruthless than the other conglomerate radio companies, sadly. Entercom has had bad press recently because it sounds like they were really turning the screws at KYW and because they've been firing people across their footprint...but it's a ruthless business anymore. This is what these companies do when they complete a merger or acquisition: They tighten their belts. Usually it's at the expense of the product but who will notice, right? A little nip here, a little tuck there... But of course, now that everyone's done seemingly imperceptible belt-tightenings over and over for decades, it's become quite perceptible! And this sort of thing becomes really noticeable when you work for one of the last major independent radio owners in the country but you're suddenly tossed to these wolves, which is unfortunately exactly what happened to Angel.

In fairness, it’s not just radio nor radio operators. Business is rough sometimes, and costs/benefits are carefully analyzed. Management has a fiduciary responsibility to the owners/shareholders.

It’s also fair to note as an independent operation, the B “threw people to the wolves.” Repeatedly. It happens.

In fairness, it’s not just radio nor radio operators. Business is rough sometimes, and costs/benefits are carefully analyzed. Management has a fiduciary responsibility to the owners/shareholders.

This is true but the extent that the radio industry cuts off its nose to spite its face just seems insane. If I were a shareholder, I think I would have pulled out and invested in something else long ago! This ship is sinking and at times, it seems to be sinking fast!

It’s also fair to note as an independent operation, the B “threw people to the wolves.” Repeatedly. It happens.

Every company has to fire people. But if we could actually look at the track records of independent B101's vs. that of radio conglomerates, I feel pretty certain it would be like comparing apples and condominiums!

This is true but the extent that the radio industry cuts off its nose to spite its face just seems insane. If I were a shareholder, I think I would have pulled out and invested in something else long ago! This ship is sinking and at times, it seems to be sinking fast!

I’d be curious to see data that shows radio as being somehow different from let’s say widget manufacturing. I think the nature of the business, as is inevitable in virtually any business, changes. And you need to tighten the belt sometimes to adapt to changing conditions. I think it’s TheBigA if I recall correctly who points out “radio” isn’t just the terrestrial broadcast. Cutting a position in one spot where the cost-benefit analysis says it may be appropriate doesn’t always tell the whole picture. It may well not be a growth industry overall, but the “radio” business writ large also isn’t the Titanic here in July 2019. :)

Every company has to fire people. But if we could actually look at the track records of independent B101's vs. that of radio conglomerates, I feel pretty certain it would be like comparing apples and condominiums!
That would be interesting to track, and I’d think at least somewhat challenging to develop something close to apples to apples data points. This is off the top of my head, such as that may be, but in the B/More era, I can think of JJ, Chris McCoy,Tiffany, Dan Blackman, Dave Moore, Michael Chew, an on-air producer I cant recall and the overnight shift (sorry, don’t recall names) weekdays and weekends all being let go. Lot of years in that span for sure. And except overnights, they were generally replaced. I get there can be points of distinction for sure, but we might be closer to apples to chickens than apples to condos. ;)

I’d be curious to see data that shows radio as being somehow different from let’s say widget manufacturing. I think the nature of the business, as is inevitable in virtually any business, changes. And you need to tighten the belt sometimes to adapt to changing conditions. I think it’s TheBigA if I recall correctly who points out “radio” isn’t just the terrestrial broadcast. Cutting a position in one spot where the cost-benefit analysis says it may be appropriate doesn’t always tell the whole picture. It may well not be a growth industry overall, but the “radio” business writ large also isn’t the Titanic here in July 2019. :)

That would be interesting to track, and I’d think at least somewhat challenging to develop something close to apples to apples data points. This is off the top of my head, such as that may be, but in the B/More era, I can think of JJ, Chris McCoy,Tiffany, Dan Blackman, Dave Moore, Michael Chew, an on-air producer I cant recall and the overnight shift (sorry, don’t recall names) weekdays and weekends all being let go. Lot of years in that span for sure. And except overnights, they were generally replaced. I get there can be points of distinction for sure, but we might be closer to apples to chickens than apples to condos. ;)

OK, apples to chickens then. At least that way, we can eat!

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.
Back
Top Bottom