• Get involved.
    We want your input!
    Apply for Membership and join the conversations about everything related to broadcasting.

After we receive your registration, a moderator will review it. After your registration is approved, you will be permitted to post.
    If you use a disposable or false email address, your registration will be rejected.

After your membership is approved, please take a minute to tell us a little bit about yourself.
    https://www.radiodiscussions.com/forums/introduce-yourself.1088/

Thanks in advance and have fun!
    RadioDiscussions Administrators

93.7 The Rock And Orange & Blue 760 Denver Stunting Their Way To Freedom

https://radioinsight.com/headlines/...lue-760-denver-stunting-their-way-to-freedom/

93.7FM to become a talk outlet.

iHeartMedia has begun stunting on the former All Denver Broncos “Orange & Blue 760” KDSP Thornton/Denver and 93.7 K229BS Lakewood CO as it prepares to launch Conservative Talk “Freedom 93.7“.

The station is currently running songs with either American and Freedom themes in their title such as Michael McDonald “Sweet Freedom”, Toby Keith “Courtesy Of The Red, White And Blue”, Miley Cyrus “Party In the USA”, and Tim McGraw “Two Lanes Of Freedom”. The change comes as KDSP changed call letters to KDFD in late June and iHeart closed on its $1.8 million acquisition of 93.7 K229BS from Hunt Broadcasting.

This will be the 5th Talk Radio station in the Denver Market. And once more, IHeart moves Rush Limbaugh off a legacy flame thrower and onto a second tier station. Will they be carving up KHOW's schedule as well for 97.3/760? If so, perhaps look for AM 630 to filp to say, Bloomberg Radio?

Last edited:
This will be the 5th Talk Radio station in the Denver Market. And once more, IHeart moves Rush Limbaugh off a legacy flame thrower and onto a second tier station. Will they be carving up KHOW's schedule as well for 97.3/760? If so, perhaps look for AM 630 to filp to say, Bloomberg Radio?

Actually, in the daytime when Rush is on, 760 has as good a signal as KOA. It's a full 50,000 watts daytime. And with the translator, it will also be on FM for some of the market. In fact, it is such a good translator that they paid $1.8 million for it.

I don't know of any place where this has led to a ratings improvement for Rush. I wonder if this is one more step towards retirement.

So KCKK is completely gone? The Rock 1510? They had an interesting adult hits format.

So KCKK is completely gone? The Rock 1510? They had an interesting adult hits format.

They paid way too much for the signal and I hear couldnt keep sales people around and just couldnt bill enough. The AM is reportedly for sale and a price less then half what they paid for it.

The Rock is still on 1510 along with another (much less impressive) 92.9 translator in Boulder.

I’d be curious if the AM is for sale — if it also includes 92.9 or if that’ll be sold off separately.

Would be nice if iHeart could find a better translator (or add a translator) to better serve the Metro Denver audience of KBPI.

https://radioinsight.com/headlines/...lue-760-denver-stunting-their-way-to-freedom/

Update

HeartMedia has officially launched Denver market Conservative Talk “Freedom 93.7” 760 KDFD Thornton/93.7 K229BS Lakewood CO after a week of stunting.

The station will feature an all-syndicated lineup including Glenn Beck from 7-10am, Rush Limbaugh 10am-1pm, Sean Hannity 1-4pm, Buck Sexton 4-7pm, and Dave Ramsey from 7-10pm. Limbaugh will move to KDFD from sister News/Talk 850/94.1 KOA, while Hannity and Beck move from delayed airings on 630 KHOW. The shows will air on both stations until replaced with local programming to be announced at the end of August.

The Rock is still on 1510 along with another (much less impressive) 92.9 translator in Boulder.

I’d be curious if the AM is for sale — if it also includes 92.9 or if that’ll be sold off separately.

it is for sale, for less then they paid for 1510.

In some markets such as Los Angeles and Cincinnati, iHeart runs two talk stations. The big power one (KFI, WLW) is all local almost all day. Then there is a secondary station that carries the Premiere Networks talk shows, KEIB in LA, WKRC in Cincinnati.

But in Denver, iHeart now has THREE AM talk stations. First is KOA, mostly local, plus Rush Limbaugh 10am-1pm, Coast to Coast AM 11pm-3am and This Morning with Gordon Deal, 3-5am. Then it has 630 KHOW running a mix of syndicated and local. KHOW has its own local morning and afternoon show, plus in late mornings, there is Tom Martino, The Troubleshooter (consumer advocate), based at KHOW and syndicated to a few other stations. The rest of the KHOW schedule is lesser Premiere syndicated shows. And it runs Red Eye Radio overnight from Westwood One-Cumulus, something iHeart usually doesn't do.

And now it has added 760 KDFD, with all syndicated programming, some of it duplicated from KOA (Limbaugh) and KHOW (Hannity and Beck). I guess KDFD will get Rush, Sean and Glenn to itself when KOA and KHOW find replacements.

The three AM signals are really good, at least in the daytime. As David says above, KDFD and KOA are both 50,000 watts, heard from Colorado Springs and Pueblo up to Wyoming. And both have translators. KOA has two translators at 94.1, one in Golden, just west of Denver, and one in Boulder, north of Denver. I wonder if you can drive from Denver to Boulder and never lose the station on 94.1 or have bad audio when you are moving from the signal of one translator to the other? KDFD now has its own translator at 93.7, located in Lakewood, adjacent to Denver.

It occurred to me that at one time Clear Channel/iHeart did have three talk stations in Denver, but 760 was progressive talk. Thom Hartmann, Stephanie Miller, Ed Shultz, Randi Rhodes and a local morning show. But no overlap with KOA or KHOW. It was as different as when it was a sports station. Could KHOW eventually become a progressive talk station? Colorado is now a fairly reliable blue state. Does it make sense for iHeart to have three talk stations all aiming conservative?

KOA is being gutted & ruined. Sad. Why bring the low rated, failed Sports programming from 760 over to 850?!?!

The guy running iHeart's Denver cluster sure loves to ruin heritage stations. First, it was KBPI. Now, he's wrecking KOA.

Are you the Denver GM's agent? :)

I'm suuuure a mixture of leftover programming that attracts an audience that is "older than dirt" (to use your phrase) combined with programming that failed miserably in the ratings over on AM 760 will draw great ratings for KOA!!!

Either take KOA 100% sports talk or don't bother. The one foot in, one foot out strategy doesn't work.

Either take KOA 100% sports talk or don't bother. The one foot in, one foot out strategy doesn't work.

Sure it does, depending on the market.

Talk stations have frequently been the broadcast home of local play by play sports. That works.

PM drive has generally not been the strongest for traditional talk, so a sports block in late afternoon and early evening can do well.

I have had talkers with afternoon and evening sports, and they have generally done very well, with exceptions in "cold to sports" markets.

And now it has added 760 KDFD, with all syndicated programming, some of it duplicated from KOA (Limbaugh) and KHOW (Hannity and Beck). I guess KDFD will get Rush, Sean and Glenn to itself when KOA and KHOW find replacements.

From what I see, Rush will duplicate until the end of August, and then he's gone from KOA.

Re:

I wasn't referring to play-by-play of major league teams earlier; I was referring to sports talk programming.

Play-by-play, which usually occurs at night or on the weekend, can be a nice cume generator for dayparts that might usually be "meh." Sports play-by-play is a natural component of a so-called "full service" radio station.

WLW doesn't air a pure sports/talk show in afternoon drive.

Listeners of heritage news/talk stations expect news, traffic, weather and some current events discussion & opinion in afternoon drive. Most aren't tuning in expecting (or wanting) to hear non-stop sports talk. I personally don't expect many listeners to leave the clear FM signal of 104.3 KKFN to hear state-run discussion of the Broncos on grandpa's radio station.

iHeart seems to have remorse over "missing the boat" on the sports radio format; as a massive radio owner, they've done a miserable job cultivating large & major market sports radio brands. This is what happens when your top programming execs are MTV and girly-music types. So now, they seem to be hastily flipping stations to the format in places like Milwaukee, Columbus (that one has already failed and returned to music programming), and now - at least on a partial basis - Denver.

Last edited:
Hey, let's gut a station that's a routine top 5 or 6 ratings performer (and BY FAR the highest rated AM radio station in the market) and backfill the open dayparts with programming from a 0.1 share radio station. Brilliant!!!

I guess iHeart won't be happy until KOA's ratings are as poor as those of KHOW.

I wasn't referring to play-by-play of major league teams earlier; I was referring to sports talk programming.

Play-by-play, which usually occurs at night or on the weekend, can be a nice cume generator for dayparts that might usually be "meh." Sports play-by-play is a natural component of a so-called "full service" radio station.

WLW doesn't air a pure sports/talk show in afternoon drive.

Listeners of heritage news/talk stations expect news, traffic, weather and some current events discussion & opinion in afternoon drive. Most aren't tuning in expecting (or wanting) to hear non-stop sports talk. I personally don't expect many listeners to leave the clear FM signal of 104.3 KKFN to hear state-run discussion of the Broncos on grandpa's radio station.

I did not mean that play by play was the only thing. I meant that sports has long been something found in some way on talk stations.

My point was that afternoon and evening sports talk blocks have worked marvelously for me in a variety of situations. Non-sports talk tends to be at its weakest in afternoons, and sports interest seems to be higher then. Right now, afternoons are ranked about 5 shares below mornings and middays on KOA.

KOA is currently averaging about 18th or 19th in 25-54. It's around 8th overall on average in the irrelevant 12+ rankers. Sports brings in younger listeners and has the potential to help the average age of the station for the typical agency 6 AM to 7 PM M-F buys.

Remember that "sports talk" at its best is really "guy talk" or "bar talk". In a woke PC world, sports radio is a haven for the free flow of tostesterone. Done that way, it's a perfect complement to afternoons and early evenings... just as UFOs are a complement in overnights.

Last edited:
Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.
Back
Top Bottom