Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: FCC Rules For RPU

Quote Originally Posted by Kelly A View Post
    Don't get me wrong; I've done a lot of RPU remotes and built dozens of RPU repeaters on mountain tops. RPU has it's place, but probably not for a LPFM station.
    I can only think of a few of uses for RPUs these days.

1. Extremely rural areas where cell service is spotty. There are a few places my stations broadcast HS sports from that would fall in this category, but they are all road games... and as such setting up a Marti isn't really worth it if it is even feasible.

2. Emergency backup STL or remote backhaul

3. When looks matter, having an RPU at your remote looks more impressive than an iPhone ... even if it isn't being used!
    "Its music what makes a radio station, and at Live FM, we play the last music around."
    After receiving that copy, I quit the VO industry.

Quote Originally Posted by PTBoardOp94 View Post
    I can only think of a few of uses for RPUs these days.

1. Extremely rural areas where cell service is spotty. There are a few places my stations broadcast HS sports from that would fall in this category, but they are all road games... and as such setting up a Marti isn't really worth it if it is even feasible.

2. Emergency backup STL or remote backhaul

3. When looks matter, having an RPU at your remote looks more impressive than an iPhone ... even if it isn't being used!
    This is an LPFM. It's barely even a real radio station. The RPU coverage is greater than their LPFM would be.

Looks like they'll be going with Cleanfeed Pro for their remotes......!
    They (read: management.....) don't want to deal with paperwork, frequency coordination (free or otherwise) and licensing fees...
    For what they plan to do with it......they're probably going to be satisfied with Cleanfeed......the Pro version allows for extended bandwidth.....
    Of course..... there's always tin cans and a string.....!

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12