• Get involved.
    We want your input!
    Apply for Membership and join the conversations about everything related to broadcasting.

After we receive your registration, a moderator will review it. After your registration is approved, you will be permitted to post.
    If you use a disposable or false email address, your registration will be rejected.

After your membership is approved, please take a minute to tell us a little bit about yourself.
    https://www.radiodiscussions.com/forums/introduce-yourself.1088/

Thanks in advance and have fun!
    RadioDiscussions Administrators

Robbie Dupree - Steal Away

Gotta say that I damn near fell off my chair when The Breeze just played "Robbie Dupree - Steal Away." I thought that song had it's last Philadelphia FM spin about 35 years ago. What a pleasant surprise. It's still corporate iHeart boredom 90% of the time but they do sometimes have some real neat surprises which make up for it.

Gotta say that I damn near fell off my chair when The Breeze just played "Robbie Dupree - Steal Away." I thought that song had it's last Philadelphia FM spin about 35 years ago. What a pleasant surprise. It's still corporate iHeart boredom 90% of the time but they do sometimes have some real neat surprises which make up for it.

When WDRC-FM Hartford was still oldies/classic hits, they actually had Dupree's "Hot Rod Hearts" in regular rotation, but not "Steal Away." Definitely a song hardly heard at all once its shelf life as an adult contemporary recurrent expired.

I have a theory why The Breeze is spinning Steal Away.
Steal Away is in pretty heavy rotation on the popular summertime fad Sirius channel Yacht Rock and this whole Yacht Rock craze has a bit of legs in recent years. I bet that's the thinking behind some of these soft AC terrestrial stations digging up this clunker again. But I say clunker in a good way. I love it.

I have a theory why The Breeze is spinning Steal Away.
Steal Away is in pretty heavy rotation on the popular summertime fad Sirius channel Yacht Rock and this whole Yacht Rock craze has a bit of legs in recent years. I bet that's the thinking behind some of these soft AC terrestrial stations digging up this clunker again. But I say clunker in a good way. I love it.

There may be some truth in what you’re saying, but we won’t know for sure until The Breeze spins Georgy Porgy by Toto.

There may be some truth in what you’re saying, but we won’t know for sure until The Breeze spins Georgy Porgy by Toto.

"Steal Away" was a top 10 hit. "Georgy Porgy" barely cracked the top 50. I assume you're kidding about The Breeze adding it, but "Steal Away" was a hit, just not one that left a lasting positive impression on enough people to meet the criteria for airplay on oldies/classic hits radio 25 years later. Maybe it's testing better now among the subset of 35-54 listeners who still go for the soft stuff of their youth. The Toto song, I guarantee you, would be totally unfamiliar to all, or nearly all, the people it's played for.

I'm pretty sure I did hear them play it, although not recently. It was back when they had Billy Paul's "Me and Mrs. Jones" in regular rotation.

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.
Back
Top Bottom