• Get involved.
    We want your input!
    Apply for Membership and join the conversations about everything related to broadcasting.

After we receive your registration, a moderator will review it. After your registration is approved, you will be permitted to post.
    If you use a disposable or false email address, your registration will be rejected.

After your membership is approved, please take a minute to tell us a little bit about yourself.
    https://www.radiodiscussions.com/forums/introduce-yourself.1088/

Thanks in advance and have fun!
    RadioDiscussions Administrators

downfall of 770 WABC ,810 KGO and others ,what caused it ?

How did the departures of Leonard Lopate and Tom Ashbrook affect ratings?

Not much. Lopate's show was not an NPR show, but local to WNYC. He was replaced with a new md-day show called "All Of It." WNYC-FM ratings have been fairly steady.

Lopate moved to WBAI, and that is one of the lowest rated stations in NY.

Ashbrook was based at WBUR in Boston, but his show On Point continues with new hosts, aired on WNYC-AM at 8PM. That show has never been a big ratings getter in NYC.

Lopate moved to WBAI, and that is one of the lowest rated stations in NY.

Interestingly, this move marks Leonard Lopate's return to the station that launched his radio career. (Is Mr. Lopate demonstrating how to succeed in radio without really trying? :))

It becomes worse when airing questionable material assumed to be understood by the audience as hardened facts. Which brings up another problem. Why do we try to put the best signal, the best sound in processing and the best songs on the music formatted stations, but, are not as discriminating when it comes to News content?

The news moves as new facts become available. Little of what you see on the news should be considered a "hardened fact", because it usually has not had time to harden.

Take the Jussie Smolett case in Chicago. First we found out there was an allegation of a hate crime, but the perpetrators could not be found. Then, many days later, we found out the whole thing had been a setup.
What should the news have reported? Surely "nothing" is the wrong answer.

I would also say that long investigative journalism does not really go with radio. You could investigate the MTA in New York for years and years and probably come up with a bunch of stories of graft and corruption. But without the ability to use pictures and pictograms, the story telling is much harder.

I can't speak directly to what happened at WABC and KGO, but I know that Cumulus management made it clear they don't like conservative talk shows. That's one reason why Rush and Hannity are no longer on WABC. They also got rid of high priced local talent at many of their stations. At WBAP in Fort Worth-Dallas, they did not re-sign morning talk show host Mark Davis. They also got rid of Sean Hannity. Both are now on KSKY-AM, which gets around a 1 share. (side note: that station has done a horrible job of promoting itself, even when they ran a billboard campaign advertising Davis' arrival from WBAP)

WBAP has weathered this storm a bit better than other Cumulus stations, likely due to the popularity of Rush Limbaugh. However, the morning show host, Chris Salcedo, has not really caught on all that well from what I can tell.

I suspect that KGO and WABC fell apart because they got rid of even more talent and shows than WBAP did.

I know that Cumulus management made it clear they don't like conservative talk shows. That's one reason why Rush and Hannity are no longer on WABC.

This was after the Sandra Fluke incident, when ad agencies blackballed controversial talk hosts. Lew Dickey threatened to drop Rush from all Cumulus stations. In the end, the only station that lost the show was WABC. And two years later, Lew was fired from the company he started.

I suspect that KGO and WABC fell apart because they got rid of even more talent and shows than WBAP did.

KGO was almost entirely local. It had Ronn Owens, not Rush... and so on.

The issue in SF was that the station did not change with the interests and needs of the talk listener in the 35-54 demo, and it fell apart.

I dont think you get much worse in talk radio then 790 kabc in los angeles. This station use to own talk in la now it gets a .5 if its lucky. Reasons who knows but constantly changing the lineup doesnt help. People like consistenty.

Havin doug mcintyre leave he was mornins was not smart. Now they have a terrible mornin show. And of course the problems with the signal. Each station is different as to the why. They credit rush w saving AM radio in the late 80s is he still saving it n whats gonna happen next?

I dont think you get much worse in talk radio then 790 kabc in los angeles. This station use to own talk in la now it gets a .5 if its lucky. Reasons who knows but constantly changing the lineup doesnt help. People like consistenty.

The last time they were "owners" of the format was more than a quarter century ago.

Today, the man-made noise from all our electronic gadgets and conveniences has made all but the biggest AM signals non-viable unless in a niche format that focuses on a specific area of a market.

KABC does not cover most of the market well. The area they cover is highly ethnic, with many groups that don't use English talk radio or use it very little in the coverage area.

No matter what they do with talk in English, it is not going to work.

They were all former ABC radio stations. When Disney bought ABC in the 90s, they stopped investing in radio. They just left things on auto-pilot. Then they sold the radio stations in 2006 to Citadel, a company that wasn't really able to handle that kind of expansion. They didn't have deep pockets. They went bankrupt. Then Cumulus bought them after bankruptcy. Cumulus overpaid. By that point, ABC was already damaged goods. Then a few more things happened. But if you're asking about in cause, the origins of what happened to those four stations, you can trace it to Disney's decision not to invest in radio, not to buy more stations at a time when CBS and other companies were growing, and the ultimate sale and bankruptcy of Citadel in 2008. So now, one by one, Cumulus is selling off those former ABC stations. Call it amputating the rotted limb so the rest of the body can live.

All decisions made by people who had earned MBA's at top-notch schools, I bet you.

David edwardo thats why 790 kabc should get rid of the talk format. I bet there revenue would be much better as sports r a spanish language format.

I bet there revenue would be much better as sports r a spanish language format.

Which is why they signed a 5 year deal to carry USC sports. Its one of the few options available.

All the Spanish AMs together do not get a 1 share. Hispanics use much less AM than non-Hispanics.

It does not have a good enough signal for fulltime sports.

Last edited by a moderator:
David edwardo thats why 790 kabc should get rid of the talk format. I bet there revenue would be much better as sports r a spanish language format.

I remember in the Los Angeles Thread of KABC Radio there was suggestions if Cumulus decided to sell 790AM that there should be Vietnamese or Chinese programming on that signal though.

@ Alok (original poster) : a phrase heard and sung around 1980 .... almost 40 years ago .... is truer than ever today, with all the smart-phone devices and the younger demos who navigate their way around them as if they were a disposable birthday card.
Video killed the radio star.

@ Alok (original poster) : a phrase heard and sung around 1980 .... almost 40 years ago .... is truer than ever today, with all the smart-phone devices and the younger demos who navigate their way around them as if they were a disposable birthday card.
Video killed the radio star.

The demos are there but the current radio stars are now known as the podcast star.

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.
Back
Top Bottom