Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Come on FCC roll back the children television rules already

Come on FCC roll back the children television rules already

Come on FCC roll back the children television rules already Please?
    Last edited by frankberry; 07-07-2019 at 10:41 AM.

The FCC announced its proposal last week, and has scheduled a vote for July 10th, which is next week.

https://www.broadcastingcable.com/ne...v-reforms-item

The order says the changes will provide "additional scheduling flexibility, allow broadcasters to offer more diverse and innovative educational programming, and relieve unnecessary burdens on broadcasters, while also ensuring that high quality educational programming remains available to all children."

Even if the roll back is successful, toons won't be back on broadcast. The literal last iteration, KidsClick, went up in smoke because the stretch of streaming options broadened opportunities for studios to put their stuff there.

Fully repealing the children's television rules would require an Act of Congress. The link BigA provided is about as close to a total de-regulation as can be done under current law.
    "Its music what makes a radio station, and at Live FM, we play the last music around."
    After receiving that copy, I quit the VO industry.

Like I've said before if E/I is repealed stations will fill Saturday mornings with news and sports at best and trash talk and infomercials at the worst.

Quote Originally Posted by boogiebutters View Post
    Even if the roll back is successful, toons won't be back on broadcast. The literal last iteration, KidsClick, went up in smoke because the stretch of streaming options broadened opportunities for studios to put their stuff there.
    They could go back to doing weekend kids shows on fox like use to back like 2008 ish. Not power rangers but like yugioh and dragonball z.

As it has been said thousand of times, that's not going to happen. Broadcasters have no motivation to appeal to children if they aren't forced to, and it's unlikely the FCC will force them to show anime.

Quote Originally Posted by kidrauhl View Post
    They could go back to doing weekend kids shows on fox like use to back like 2008 ish. Not power rangers but like yugioh and dragonball z.
    Zero chance.

The networks used the E/I rules as a convenient excuse to fill more of Saturday mornings with news and and just the legally required 3 hours with E/I, and it caused most fun shows for kids to be dropped. The best thing I can see coming out of the proposed changes is possibly earlier college football or basketball in season. At other times it will probably be filled with infomercials because most local stations won't do anything else with it.

Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast