• Get involved.
    We want your input!
    Apply for Membership and join the conversations about everything related to broadcasting.

After we receive your registration, a moderator will review it. After your registration is approved, you will be permitted to post.
    If you use a disposable or false email address, your registration will be rejected.

After your membership is approved, please take a minute to tell us a little bit about yourself.
    https://www.radiodiscussions.com/forums/introduce-yourself.1088/

Thanks in advance and have fun!
    RadioDiscussions Administrators

Come on FCC roll back the children television rules already

The FCC announced its proposal last week, and has scheduled a vote for July 10th, which is next week.

https://www.broadcastingcable.com/news/fcc-releases-modest-kids-tv-reforms-item

The order says the changes will provide "additional scheduling flexibility, allow broadcasters to offer more diverse and innovative educational programming, and relieve unnecessary burdens on broadcasters, while also ensuring that high quality educational programming remains available to all children."

Even if the roll back is successful, toons won't be back on broadcast. The literal last iteration, KidsClick, went up in smoke because the stretch of streaming options broadened opportunities for studios to put their stuff there.

Fully repealing the children's television rules would require an Act of Congress. The link BigA provided is about as close to a total de-regulation as can be done under current law.

Like I've said before if E/I is repealed stations will fill Saturday mornings with news and sports at best and trash talk and infomercials at the worst.

Even if the roll back is successful, toons won't be back on broadcast. The literal last iteration, KidsClick, went up in smoke because the stretch of streaming options broadened opportunities for studios to put their stuff there.

They could go back to doing weekend kids shows on fox like use to back like 2008 ish. Not power rangers but like yugioh and dragonball z.

As it has been said thousand of times, that's not going to happen. Broadcasters have no motivation to appeal to children if they aren't forced to, and it's unlikely the FCC will force them to show anime.

The networks used the E/I rules as a convenient excuse to fill more of Saturday mornings with news and and just the legally required 3 hours with E/I, and it caused most fun shows for kids to be dropped. The best thing I can see coming out of the proposed changes is possibly earlier college football or basketball in season. At other times it will probably be filled with infomercials because most local stations won't do anything else with it.

The networks used the E/I rules as a convenient excuse to fill more of Saturday mornings with news and and just the legally required 3 hours with E/I, and it caused most fun shows for kids to be dropped. The best thing I can see coming out of the proposed changes is possibly earlier college football or basketball in season. At other times it will probably be filled with infomercials because most local stations won't do anything else with it.

Or they realized News was a better business decision that didn’t need an excuse.

Can they not just create a national subchannel for all the kids content rather than it airing on other channels?

The problem there is access. Creating digital subchannels requires all TVs to be able to receive those channels, and currently, they don't. Because they don't, digital subchannels don't get anywhere near the viewership the main channels get. So it's like taking an important radio format and moving it to an HD2.

I don't see why subchannels should be required to carry E/I programming, especially when they're channels that aren't anything kid's would want to watch anyway.

Kidsvid rules hurt the west coast broadcasters the most since Sports start at 12PM ET in the fall for College Football have to air those E/I Nature shows late afternoon so that will help them a lot. I believe Subchannels don't need air E/I & nature shows since kids don't watch those networks like Justice Network, Quest, Court TV etc.

Kidsvid rules hurt the west coast broadcasters the most since Sports start at 12PM ET in the fall for College Football have to air those E/I Nature shows late afternoon so that will help them a lot. I believe Subchannels don't need air E/I & nature shows since kids don't watch those networks like Justice Network, Quest, Court TV etc.

Theres probably some kids that watch Dog the bounty hunter and cold case files on the justice network though.

Creating digital subchannels requires all TVs to be able to receive those channels, and currently, they don't. Because they don't, digital subchannels don't get anywhere near the viewership the main channels get. So it's like taking an important radio format and moving it to an HD2.

Huh? Any TV set sold the last dozen or so years is digital capable, and digital sets have been available for over 20 years. If you have reception of the "main" channels you can therefore tune all the subchannels. If you still have an old analog set you either have an OTA digital converter that tunes all the subchannels, or are using a video provider.

Not like FM where only some of the radios sold (mostly in cars) are digital (HD) capable.

If you have reception of the "main" channels you can therefore tune all the subchannels.
That's if. Do I really want to spend any more money on a better antenna? Will the better antenna still have problems, especially in bad weather?

Besides, I found I could get the main channel better than the subchannels in some cases.

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.
Back
Top Bottom