• Get involved.
    We want your input!
    Apply for Membership and join the conversations about everything related to broadcasting.

After we receive your registration, a moderator will review it. After your registration is approved, you will be permitted to post.
    If you use a disposable or false email address, your registration will be rejected.

After your membership is approved, please take a minute to tell us a little bit about yourself.
    https://www.radiodiscussions.com/forums/introduce-yourself.1088/

Thanks in advance and have fun!
    RadioDiscussions Administrators

Netflix Promises To Quit Smoking On (Most) Original Programming

Y2kTheNewOldies

Walk of Fame Participant
https://www.npr.org/2019/07/04/7387...-to-quit-smoking-on-most-original-programming

There's a scene in the hit Netflix series Stranger Things where the skeptical police chief, Chief Jim Hopper, is at his desk chomping on an apple. He listens to a theory that a local teen may have been kidnapped by Russian spies. Fed up, he spits out the fruit, sticks a cigarette in his mouth and lights up.

But Netflix has now pledged to cut down on moments like this: The streaming content giant announced Wednesday that it will stub out depictions of smoking across all of its original shows aimed at younger viewers.

The announcement comes on the heels of a new report by the anti-smoking group Truth Initiative released earlier this week. The study looked at several of the most popular programs among 15-to-24-year-olds and found that the amount of tobacco imagery in them has more than tripled in the past year.
The group's research shows smoking and e-cigarette depictions were most prevalent on Netflix, blowing away portrayals on cable or broadcast TV. The biggest offender? Season 2 of Stranger Things. The researchers found that 100% of the episodes they analyzed of the show — a supernatural story about adolescents, set in the 1980s — included tobacco use.

I don't know how that will be handled in the long run though given that Netflix is Pay tv though besides initial threat of a boycott though over the smoking scenes.

It was fascinating...I talked to my wife last week and brought up the point that smoking is almost nonexistent in actual broadcast TV programming. Even the bad guy in a show (traditionally always a smoker) has disappeared.

Certainly not realistic portraying a smoke-free world. Considering most of us (smokers or not) usually have to interact with cigarette use on a daily basis.

Quit smoking about 5 years ago, but when the last smoking scene ever in a show has been broadcast, I’ll find a pack of Morley’s and burn one in remembrance :cool:

Sounds interesting on paper but we need to wait and see if it drives up the demand for uncensored scenes involving smoking at other places though.

Perhaps if the Surgeon General reverses the earlier statements about that smoking (and second hand smoke) can cause cancer.

It depends. Most workplaces are smoke-free, although it depends on the local laws.

Yes...but most places (hotels, workplaces, restaurants, etc) also do not limit what their workers or patrons do outside of the smoke-free "zone". Some folks in the healthcare and insurance fields actually prohibit workers from smoking, but most companies have not followed suit. They'd probably start a riot in certain industries!

What this means is chances are good that on an average day, the average person in an average area will encounter a smoker. This being 2019, that smoker probably is outside puffing away...so yes, even though one may not have to encounter smokers indoors anymore, a good 15-25% of people still smoke. I find it incredibly weird that we have come to the point where S&P is getting involved in a habit that is A) legal in every state around the country and B) shown in TV/movies for decades after we knew they weren't good for you.

Fascinating, for sure

This being 2019, that smoker probably is outside puffing away...so yes, even though one may not have to encounter smokers indoors anymore, a good 15-25% of people still smoke.

Actually quite a few places have rules about smoking OUTDOORS as well. Baseball and football stadiums don't allow smoking in the seats. Concert amphitheaters don't allow smoking in seated areas. I think I've seen no smoking signs in some parks.

I'm lucky that I did not pick up the habit.Junk food was my problem.Atlease they are going in the right direction with that....Most workplaces I've worked at ban smoking and the co workers had to go outside and smoke.At one job they had a smoking room with air vents .

Lost my uncle at 66 and a few friends over the habit.

Certainly not realistic portraying a smoke-free world. Considering most of us (smokers or not) usually have to interact with cigarette use on a daily basis.

It is in my world. I can't remember the last time I saw someone smoke an actual cigarette. Locally smoking is banned in all restaurants and bars, and none of my close friends or current co-workers smoke.

I used to work at a radio station where the whole staff except me smoked. But that was 15 years ago.

In TN smoking is banned in all public buildings and in restaurants except for ones where they require customers to be over 21. Some restaurants in my area tried that but most have either gone out of business or stopped allowing smoking and allowed customers under 21 in because they realized they were losing business because of it. As for offices it's supposed to be banned as well, but I'm sure some still tolerate it. When I was at UPS there was a lady who smoked e-cigarettes, but it wsan't near me so I didn't say anything.

When I worked at Lowe's there were signs that smoking wasn't allowed but people tried to get away with it in the garden center and also use e-cigarettes in the store. One cashier got sick from someone with an e-cigarette and I brought that up with the management but nothing was really done about it. But I didn't tolerate it around me and told people to get it away from me. Some people didn't like it but I didn't care.

This will show the attitude of some smokers who don't care what other people think: There was a customer in Lowe's who came in with an unlit cigarette still in his mouth and wearing a t-shirt that said "Yes I smoke so f**k off!" :rolleyes: :mad:

I still see people smoke but it's with E Cigarettes and Pot in my area. But they are doing this at parties though or festivals in some cases like 420 day.

Did somebody tell them smoking is not good for them?

I said before in another smoking related thread that even if marijuana is made legal that the same laws agianst smoking in public should apply to both it and e-cigarettes. Also, as bad as smoking tobacco is for you (and it's turning out to be the same with e-cigarettes, no matter now much they try to lie about it) how can marijuana be any safer???

Also, as bad as smoking tobacco is for you (and it's turning out to be the same with e-cigarettes, no matter now much they try to lie about it) how can marijuana be any safer???

No nicotine in marijuana. Nicotine causes cancer. This is not to say there aren't dangers related to marijuana, but they're not interchangeable.

Just watch a few classic 1970's Match Game episodes on Match Game Productions Youtube channel last week and it has Charles Nelson Reilly puffing away on a cig and sometimes a pipe..Sometimes his sidekick Brett Sommers lights one up on the show before she quit smoking later on in the shows.I've seen Richard Dawson doing it.There was some other celebs that lit up on the show over the years too....

One of the most irritating things about watching old films from the 30's, 40's and 50's was that everyone on screen seemed to be puffing away constantly. Every time I saw Humphery Bogard or William Tallman or Yul Brynner or Lucille Ball I was reminded of how they died. Some old movies are literally unwatchable because of that.

Last edited:
Nicotine causes cancer.

Not according to modern medical science. According to the U.S. government, of the more than 7,000 chemicals in tobacco smoke, at least 250 are known to be harmful, including hydrogen cyanide, carbon monoxide, and ammonia (1, 2, 5). Among the 250 known harmful chemicals in tobacco smoke, at least 69 can cause cancer.

As for marijuana, according to WebMD:

"Oct. 17, 2005 -- Although tobacco smoke and marijuana smoke are chemically very similar, a new report argues that their cancer-causing effects may be very different.

Both tobacco and cannabis smoke contain the same cancer-causing compounds (carcinogens). Depending on what part of the plant is smoked, marijuana can contain more of these harmful ingredients.

But a recent review of studies on the effects of marijuana and tobacco smoke suggests that the cancer-promoting effects of these ingredients is increased by the tobacco in nicotine and reduced by the tetrahydrocannabinol (THC) found in cannabis.

Previous studies have shown that THC can inhibit carcinogens in mice, and the report suggests it may have the same protective effect against the carcinogens found in smoke in humans. But researchers warn that even if THC lessens the effects of these cancer-causing ingredients, cannabis smoke remains carcinogenic."

Best not to smoke 'em if ya got 'em.

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.
Back
Top Bottom