• Get involved.
    We want your input!
    Apply for Membership and join the conversations about everything related to broadcasting.

After we receive your registration, a moderator will review it. After your registration is approved, you will be permitted to post.
    If you use a disposable or false email address, your registration will be rejected.

After your membership is approved, please take a minute to tell us a little bit about yourself.
    https://www.radiodiscussions.com/forums/introduce-yourself.1088/

Thanks in advance and have fun!
    RadioDiscussions Administrators

allusions to other shows

I know The Flintstones was ALWAYS satirizing everything else, and wasn't realistic, but one episode was just plain surrealistic. I did not like "Sheriff for a Day" as a girl, but now as an adult I "get" it and it is one of my favorite episodes.
The Flintstones and Rubbles stop in an Old West town, unaware that its residents are terrified because its local bad guys have been released from prison and are heading back to get revenge on the sheriff. So the current sheriff, Craig, deputizes Fred and Barney, who then pretend to be Matt Dillon and Chester. Craig quietly leaves town. The Slatery brothers arrive and challenge Fred to a duel. The Cartrocks (Ben, Adam, Hoss and Little Joe) come to the rescue and scare the Slaterys away.
Wilma and Betty are thrilled, and tell the Cartrocks that they watch them on TV all the time. Then one of them (I think it was Ben) said that they had been watching The Flintstones on TV (I suppose live as it was happening!) and decided they should come and rescue them.
You figure it out.....

It took me years to learn that Barney was putting on that weird MEE-ISTER FLEE-YINT STOOOONE drawl as an imitation of Dennis Weaver as Cheste from Gunsmoke...not to mention figuring out who the Cartrocks were.

It was something of a running gag on The Jeffersons that George liked Hawaii Five O. He even made up a rather stupid poem about it in a season 7 episode, not long after Five O said aloha.
And, of course, Thomas Magnum name-dropped McGarret a couple times in early episodes of his show.(The producers tried to get Jack Lord to guest-star, but he declined; a later attempt to have James Garner appear as Rockford was vetoed because Garner and Universal were still litigating their issues relating to the premature cancellation of The Rockford Files).

It was something of a running gag on The Jeffersons that George liked Hawaii Five O. He even made up a rather stupid poem about it in a season 7 episode, not long after Five O said aloha.
And, of course, Thomas Magnum name-dropped McGarret a couple times in early episodes of his show.(The producers tried to get Jack Lord to guest-star, but he declined; a later attempt to have James Garner appear as Rockford was vetoed because Garner and Universal were still litigating their issues relating to the premature cancellation of The Rockford Files).

A correction - Garner and the producers were not litigating the premature cancellation of Rockford- they were litigating the fact that after the show was syndicated in reruns, and doing very well in most markets nationwide, Garner had still not received his contractual share of the profits. It is typical for Hollywood studios and producers to cheat stars out of contractual profit-sharing through "creative accounting," and Garner was having none of it. IIRC, he won the suit, and the producers had to pay him a considerable sum of money.

Note that one of Selleck's pre-Magnum guest roles was playing Lance White, a handsome but clueless and stupid private detective that Rockford had to rescue from various predicaments. Selleck appeared on two episodes of The Rockford Files.

Last edited:
I thought Garner quit the show due to injuries suffered during filming, and being pressured to return to work quickly. The was a lot going on, but fewer viewers were paying attention.
When the dust settled, Garner did a year of Bret Maverick for Universal, making up for lost time.

It took me years to learn that Barney was putting on that weird MEE-ISTER FLEE-YINT STOOOONE drawl as an imitation of Dennis Weaver as Cheste from Gunsmoke...not to mention figuring out who the Cartrocks were.
I got the Cartrock reference, but not the Chester reference because "Bonanza" was syndicated where I was a kid but not "Gunsmoke". However, the real puzzler for 70s/80s kids was the "Shinrock a Go-Go" episode. Who on earth in our age group had ever heard of "Shindig"?

I got the Cartrock reference, but not the Chester reference because "Bonanza" was syndicated where I was a kid but not "Gunsmoke". However, the real puzzler for 70s/80s kids was the "Shinrock a Go-Go" episode. Who on earth in our age group had ever heard of "Shindig"?
I found that interesting because my last name is 'O'Neill'(without the '-stone'), my dad's name was 'Jim', and my siblings were old enough to remember both 'The Flintstones' and 'Shindig' in first-run.

Perfect Strangers doing an intro in the promo for Family Matters (Note Family matters was a spinoff of Perfect Strangers) and the cast of Step by Step making an appearance on Family Matters given that all these shows are owned by WB and was made by Miller-Boyett Productions.

On the new Hawaii Five O, an early season episode made reference to Magnum PI as a TV show.

And years later, the new Magnum would join the shared fictional universe.

Does anyone remember a short-lived sitcom from around 1989 called "Day By Day?" It starred Linda Kelsey formerly of "Lou Grant" and Douglas Sheehan formerly of "General Hospital." Anyway, in one hilarious episode the teenaged son, who was angry with his parents, dreamt of how much better his life would be if he were a Brady brother. They actually recreated the Brady living room complete with the riser-less staircase, and had Florence Henderson, Robert Reed and a very pregnant Maureen McCormick playing a not pregnant Marcia. Maybe this is what prompted those Brady movies with Gary Cole and Shelley Long.

I just thought of a pretty old one: My memory might be kind of fuzzy, but I think it was on one of the color Honeymooners episodes of Jackie Gleason. I don't even remember the setup (might have been Norton entering the room in some sort of wild costume), but I remember Ralph bellowing, "You are ready for The Joe Pyne Show!"

More from Me TV starting at about 1:00:

There's actually an extended ad with this clip but I haven't been able to find it on You Tube yet.

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.
Back
Top Bottom