Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
Results 21 to 30 of 37

Thread: "Lovefool" on WOGL

  1. #21

    Join Date
    Dec 2016
    Location
    Philadelphia
    Posts
    781
    Quote Originally Posted by vchimpanzee View Post
    This is insane. Variety hits, maybe. But this is still a "classic hits" station, isn't it?
    "Kickstart My Heart" and "Mama Said Knock You Out" were released in 1989 and 1990, respectively, and were hits at Top 40. They're fair game. Whichever genres one may want to put songs into now, if they were Pop hits during the "Classic Hits" window, and they test well now, WOGL can play them. Current market conditions or simple resistance to change may have been preventing WOGL from doing so, but it looks like that time has finally passed.
    But not a real green dress, that's cruel.

  2. #22
    Quote Originally Posted by Miguelito View Post


    "Kickstart My Heart" and "Mama Said Knock You Out" were released in 1989 and 1990, respectively, and were hits at Top 40. They're fair game. Whichever genres one may want to put songs into now, if they were Pop hits during the "Classic Hits" window, and they test well now, WOGL can play them. Current market conditions or simple resistance to change may have been preventing WOGL from doing so, but it looks like that time has finally passed.
    For Motley Crue, at least, no, that time will never pass, except for "Home Sweet Home" and "Smokin' in the Boy's Room".

    For Guns N' Roses, "Patience" and "Sweet Child O' Mine".

    For Quiet Riot, I don't think they EVER qualified for "classic hits".

  3. #23

    Join Date
    Dec 2016
    Location
    Philadelphia
    Posts
    781
    Quote Originally Posted by vchimpanzee View Post
    For Motley Crue, at least, no, that time will never pass, except for "Home Sweet Home" and "Smokin' in the Boy's Room".

    For Guns N' Roses, "Patience" and "Sweet Child O' Mine".

    For Quiet Riot, I don't think they EVER qualified for "classic hits".
    Looks like it passed whether you like it or not.
    But not a real green dress, that's cruel.

  4. #24
    Quote Originally Posted by vchimpanzee View Post
    For Motley Crue, at least, no, that time will never pass, except for "Home Sweet Home" and "Smokin' in the Boy's Room".

    For Guns N' Roses, "Patience" and "Sweet Child O' Mine".

    For Quiet Riot, I don't think they EVER qualified for "classic hits".
    I'm wagering many a listener can be glad those tastes are not ruling the programming decisions.

  5. #25

    Join Date
    Oct 2007
    Location
    USA
    Posts
    4,069
    So a station takes about 20 years to weed out the 50's and 60's, takes another 5-7 to eliminate most of the 70's (after the 60's were canned) and yet within 3-5 years, all of a sudden, we are hearing mostly 80's and 90's. Honestly, WOGL is jumping the gun too fast.

    Is this a "learning experience" not to take so long to appeal to your current demographics or are they trying something new? It just seems that several classic hits stations really wanted to hang on with the much older music as long as they possibly could, and then, poof....it's all gone.
    Celebrating 64 Years of Rock & Roll Classics!

  6. #26

    Join Date
    Oct 2007
    Location
    USA
    Posts
    4,069
    Quote Originally Posted by vchimpanzee View Post

    For Quiet Riot, I don't think they EVER qualified for "classic hits".
    It's from 1983, it definitely a classic. Harder rock, yes, but still a hit.
    It was on top 40 back then as much as "Billie Jean" and "Islands in the Stream"
    Celebrating 64 Years of Rock & Roll Classics!

  7. #27
    Quote Originally Posted by oldies76 View Post
    So a station takes about 20 years to weed out the 50's and 60's, takes another 5-7 to eliminate most of the 70's (after the 60's were canned) and yet within 3-5 years, all of a sudden, we are hearing mostly 80's and 90's. Honestly, WOGL is jumping the gun too fast.

    Is this a "learning experience" not to take so long to appeal to your current demographics or are they trying something new? It just seems that several classic hits stations really wanted to hang on with the much older music as long as they possibly could, and then, poof....it's all gone.
    What they did before isn't really relevant. You follow the audience you want to deliver and do what is appropriate to attract them.

  8. #28
    Quote Originally Posted by oldies76 View Post
    It's from 1983, it definitely a classic. Harder rock, yes, but still a hit.
    It was on top 40 back then as much as "Billie Jean" and "Islands in the Stream"
    No, those two were much bigger hits. What reached the top 40 is irrelevant.

    It makes no sense that songs that rock that hard still appeal to the same people who want those other 80s hits.

  9. #29
    Quote Originally Posted by AbrahamJSimpson View Post
    I'm wagering many a listener can be glad those tastes are not ruling the programming decisions.
    I would have said the opposite. If those songs weren't there and someone said they should be, I mean, then I would have said the above.
    Last edited by vchimpanzee; 07-12-2019 at 11:50 AM.

  10. #30
    Quote Originally Posted by vchimpanzee View Post

    It makes no sense that songs that rock that hard still appeal to the same people who want those other 80s hits.
    It most certainly does. Not all people are pigeonholed into narrow categories.

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  

     
Useful Contacts
Community


123