Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: "Lovefool" on WOGL

"Lovefool" on WOGL

Pretty surprised to hear Lovefool by The Cardigans on WOGL. Granted, it was on at 2am last night, but still a surprise. A late 90s indie-alternative pop hit on "nobody plays MORE 80s" WOGL. A growing trend to include more 90s one hit wonders on classic hits across the states, you think?
    Host on Rowan Radio 89.7 WGLS-FM

Radio DX'er- using Grundig Sat. 750, Tecsun PL-880

Couple other interesting tracks today that I would have never expected on WOGL:

- "Paradise City" by Guns n Roses at 11am
    - "The Sign" by Ace of Base at 10:27am
    - "Cryin'" by Aerosmith at 9:31am
    - "*** On Feel the Noise" by Quiet Riot at 9:19am

(Unfortunately, the "recently played" page on the website doesn't go back further than that.)
    Andy Gradel
    Misses his former on-air jobs at WPST, WPLY, WRAT, WHTG and Rowan Radio (WGLS), but doesn't miss the bad hours or pay.

I actually welcome their updated playlist. They have been lagging in the 25-54 ratings barely in the top 10 and need to get younger. I think late 80s and early 90s music will help this.
    I have also heard We're Not Gonna Take it by Twisted Sister, Summertime by Fresh Prince, Wild Thing by Tone Loc, Bust a Move by Young MC and Under The Bridge by RHCP.
    I would love to also hear them add Ratt - Round and Round, Beastie Boys - Fight For Your Right to Party, Vanilla Ice - Ice Ice Baby, Two Princes - Spin Doctors, Black Velvet - Alannah Myles, Anything by Debbie Gibson, Motley Crue, Cinderella etc.
    It seems like most of the 90s songs other than the Under the Bridges, the songs are very poppy or dance oriented.
    Last edited by AM/FMRAINMAN; 07-05-2019 at 01:19 PM. Reason: Needed to add a few new sentences to this post.

This is to similar to Ben fm

Quote Originally Posted by AM/FMRAINMAN View Post
    It seems like most of the 90s songs other than the Under the Bridges, the songs are very poppy or dance oriented.
    I think that's the right way to go given the classic hits format. More pop/less rock.

Others have observed that with the rush to be the station playing the most 80s, there was a window for someone to grab on to some songs from the early 90s. That's what they seem to be doing, at least for right now. It could all change back on Monday.

Quote Originally Posted by andygradel View Post
    Couple other interesting tracks today that I would have never expected on WOGL:

- "Paradise City" by Guns n Roses at 11am
    - "The Sign" by Ace of Base at 10:27am
    - "Cryin'" by Aerosmith at 9:31am
    - "*** On Feel the Noise" by Quiet Riot at 9:19am

(Unfortunately, the "recently played" page on the website doesn't go back further than that.)
    A new feature just added to the recently revamped Radio.com "Listen Live" page for their stations has a
    drop-down menu allowing a look at the past 6-7 days of playlists by day/hour (see middle-left of page):

https://www.radio.com/wogl/listen

Just heard Just a Girl by no doubt, that one really surprised me.

I also heard "Personal Jesus" by Depeche Mode this morning. I love this song. I really like the direction WOGL is headed. I hope they keep it up and not go back to the same music they were playing a week ago. I think they will show ratings improvements. At the very least in the 25-54 demo...which is where they need to improve.
    I feel like Ben-FM just seems to try to copy the songs WOGL plays. Anytime WOGL adds new music, if this is not in BEN-FM's playlist, they soon add this. I think they are trying to protect WMMR and WMGK and do not care about how low Ben's ratings are.

I mean...of course they care, it's a business and the bottom line has to come into play. Ben's line item on the big ol' spreadsheet may show lower expenses than its siblings, but everyone has a limit to what they can absorb for the cluster. Basically, Ben seems to tread consistently within a narrow(ish) range that seems to work for them, thus far regardless of where 98 (and the other stations in town) goes musically. No doubt (pardon the musical pun) they need to be mindful of MGK and MMR, but they've still got to make the economics work for Ben.

I've been saying this for a while, but I do think it would behoove Ben to jump the ship a little early and tart playing the 90s cuts 98 will not touch, the alt rock and alt pop that was huge but just a little too heavy/ weird for 98. I mean like Pepper by Butthole surfers, Sex and Candy by Marcy Playground, Lump by The POTUS etc... I think if Ben can position themselves in such a way that they are known for the hits and the forgotten alternative hits too, they can get a leg up on WOGL. Just my opinion, of course.

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast