Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234

Thread: "Lovefool" on WOGL

For my personal tastes (whatever little they're worth), the Twister Sister and Quiet Riot hits (I always get them mixed up) have the fun sing-along party vibe that should be the "center lane" at a Classic Hits station. And they're not really that much heavier than something like "You Give Love A Bad Name" either. Other songs listed here like "Lovefool", "Tubthumping", "All Star", "This Is How We Do It", "The Sign", and "Wannabe" have that upbeat sing-along quality as well. "Killing Me Softly" is a '70s cover, and the Aerosmith and Cranberries ballads don't sound out of place next to other similar fare from the '80s. The rap songs might be pushing it, especially "Mama Said Knock You Out", but if the target audience likes those songs then I suppose they're fair game.

Folks may be forgetting about testing and research. WOGL isn't playing Quiet Riot (or anything else) just because they feel like it. Damn, even BEN-FM doesn't do that!
    But not a real green dress, that's cruel.

Quote Originally Posted by mjb1124 View Post
    For my personal tastes (whatever little they're worth), the Twister Sister and Quiet Riot hits (I always get them mixed up) have the fun sing-along party vibe that should be the "center lane" at a Classic Hits station. And they're not really that much heavier than something like "You Give Love A Bad Name" either. Other songs listed here like "Lovefool", "Tubthumping", "All Star", "This Is How We Do It", "The Sign", and "Wannabe" have that upbeat sing-along quality as well. "Killing Me Softly" is a '70s cover, and the Aerosmith and Cranberries ballads don't sound out of place next to other similar fare from the '80s. The rap songs might be pushing it, especially "Mama Said Knock You Out", but if the target audience likes those songs then I suppose they're fair game.
    I would have said no to Twisted Sister at one time but when their biggest hit is the theme song to a prank show with an elderly cast, I guess it works. For what you're describing, everything seems as you described it, except Quiet Riot. I can't see them being anything other than too extreme.

Just to clarify, I wouldn't want a classic hits station, period. I'm not entirely happy with what the two oldies stations where I live are doing. Too much 80s, for one thing, and few of the 80s songs are what I consider good. One of the stations actually plays Kiss, which reminds me an oldies station around here played both Kiss and Sinatra.

If I was in Philly I'd be demanding bring back WHAT and keep that one show on WPHT and by the way, get off my lawn!

These songs and more are already being played on most classic hits stations. WCBS 101 in NY, WOMC in Detroit and KLUV in Dallas are all playing or have played Motley Crue and a lot of the other artists that I mentioned. WOGL is the only station that has been slower to the table. I am not sure why that is...but I think all of these songs will test well. When the ratings are out next month and you see a huge uptick, that would mean Quiet Riot, Twisted Sister, Poison, Tone Loc, DJ Jazzy Jeff and the Fresh Prince, RHCP, Guns N Roses, Young MC and Depeche Mode are what the listeners want to hear.
    I actually like the move to a more variety 80s. If they say they play the most 80s, then they should show this and by the new music they are.
    I am just wondering, how long until the 70s are are no longer. I am saying the shelf life is about 2 years, but I could be wrong.

Quote Originally Posted by AM/FMRAINMAN View Post
    When the ratings are out next month and you see a huge uptick, that would mean Quiet Riot, Twisted Sister, Poison, Tone Loc, DJ Jazzy Jeff and the Fresh Prince, RHCP, Guns N Roses, Young MC and Depeche Mode are what the listeners want to hear.
    The typical complaint about any classic-based station is the music becomes stale after a while. So if you shake things up to play other songs the demo will know, they're less likely to tune out.

I agree with you TheBigA, but if the above is the case, then why don't change up their playlist more frequently. It seems they only change it once, maybe twice at most per year. WOGL the past two years has changed it twice. I think, they should update this quarterly.

Moderator/Co-Administrator
    Quote Originally Posted by AM/FMRAINMAN View Post
    I agree with you TheBigA, but if the above is the case, then why don't change up their playlist more frequently. It seems they only change it once, maybe twice at most per year. WOGL the past two years has changed it twice. I think, they should update this quarterly.
    Music testing is done in larger markets twice a year at major gold based stations.

So the changes of played and not played titles will likely happen shortly after each music test.

Of course, some stations cycle the weakest songs in and out of play, so from week to week the songs may appear... or not. But everything done in the periods between tests is just mechanics. The only exceptions might be in the case of the passing of an artist being marked by play of ordinarily not played cuts, or the removal of an artist or song due to some kind of public image issue. In PPM markets, if the station watches the moment by moment tune-out and finds a song gets heavy tune out, it may be eliminated in between tests.
    www.americanradiohistory.com
    Broadcasting Magazine and Yearbooks, Billboard, Cash Box, R&R, Record World, Music & Media, Audio, Television/Radio Age, R&R, Duncan's American Radio, Popular Electronics, Studio Sound, Broadcast Engineering, db, and more.

Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234