• Get involved.
    We want your input!
    Apply for Membership and join the conversations about everything related to broadcasting.

After we receive your registration, a moderator will review it. After your registration is approved, you will be permitted to post.
    If you use a disposable or false email address, your registration will be rejected.

After your membership is approved, please take a minute to tell us a little bit about yourself.
    https://www.radiodiscussions.com/forums/introduce-yourself.1088/

Thanks in advance and have fun!
    RadioDiscussions Administrators

Translator Interference from Auburndale

wlsl

Regular Participant
Our LPFM starts getting chopped up between Z-Hills and Dade City with the 50 - 60 dBu contours. The translator is in Auburndale allegedly running 250 watts. Its extreme fringe 'predicted" barely invades South Z-hills. Comments?

Make sure you do your test in the middle of a warm day.
Extended propagation happens in many nights.
Have you found this to happen no matter what direction you are driving?
Many car radio antennæ can be quite directional.

It looks as though they are jumping over whatever would be in the line of sight. They are 525ft., according to the FCC website. Height is EVERYTHING.

Thanks All. To answer many of the questions: Yes it happens in any direction. Michelle Bradley (RECNET) ran a plot and it appears that badjef is correct. The reason I hear it now and not when we first went on the air is because they relocated the translator and it's higher and pretty much line of site towards Dade City. Sigh...

Thanks All. To answer many of the questions: Yes it happens in any direction. Michelle Bradley (RECNET) ran a plot and it appears that badjef is correct. The reason I hear it now and not when we first went on the air is because they relocated the translator and it's higher and pretty much line of site towards Dade City. Sigh...
————-
Well as usual, I’m a day or nearly a week late with a reception report or two. A week ago Friday, (the 5th of July) I had to go to Tampa Palms just barely inside Hillsborough county; where I was getting a blend of both the Auburndale translator and WLSL, unfortunately neither one listenable; afterwards I arrived at the Publix in Tampa Palms (about .75 mile north of the Hillsborough/Pasco county line; parked the car and put the radio on 92.7 and I was getting WLSL loud and clear; this was about 1:20PM, not a trace of the translator! Then upon returning to my vehicle, I took out the Sangean HDR16 and all I could hear was the Auburndale Translator; but and this is strange, git back into the car and on the car radio (just a few feet away from where I had the Sangean , all I could hear was a clean crisp(in stereo) WLSL! Then exiting the parking lot it was a battle of the signals with WLSL slightly prevailing and then driving north toward SR54, WLSL prevailed in the car.

The next day I was just going to go to the Publix in Dade City but decided instead to go to the WalMart in Z’hills; WLSL had a good clean interference free signal until about 1.5 miles south of Clinton Ave where the translator did not prevail, but did take away the clean crisp signal of WLSL; this was about 2:30PM.

Also FYI- WXIO has been off the air for at least 10 days and the stream is silent as well; at least on IOS devices.

...parked the car and put the radio on 92.7 and I was getting WLSL loud and clear...
I love to park my car at work and precisely park (back and forth and back and forth) to get a station that is otherwise obliterated by a much
stronger signal and then tell a co-worker to tune it in from their car and of course they cannot get it at all no matter how hard they try.

Silent STA filed for WXIO filed today"

THE TOWER SUPPORTING THE ANTENNA FELL ON JUNE 7, 2019. IT IS ANTICIPATED THAT STATION OPERATIONS WILL BE RESTORED SHORTLY.

LPFMDatabase.com says they filed today, stating they went off the air September 7th but that the tower supporting their antenna fell June 7th. all I found however is the one line above in caps.

Silent STA filed for WXIO filed today"

THE TOWER SUPPORTING THE ANTENNA FELL ON JUNE 7, 2019. IT IS ANTICIPATED THAT STATION OPERATIONS WILL BE RESTORED SHORTLY.

LPFMDatabase.com says they filed today, stating they went off the air September 7th but that the tower supporting their antenna fell June 7th. all I found however is the one line above in caps.

They have up to one year from the date that they went silent to put it back on the air. The all caps thing is a function of the FCC's CDBS. Almost everything entered in the CDBS is in all caps.

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.
Back
Top Bottom