• Get involved.
    We want your input!
    Apply for Membership and join the conversations about everything related to broadcasting.

After we receive your registration, a moderator will review it. After your registration is approved, you will be permitted to post.
    If you use a disposable or false email address, your registration will be rejected.

After your membership is approved, please take a minute to tell us a little bit about yourself.
    https://www.radiodiscussions.com/forums/introduce-yourself.1088/

Thanks in advance and have fun!
    RadioDiscussions Administrators

KBSG Reunion

Interesting report. When were Hidy May and Kevin Ebi at KBSG? I remember Hidy May at KJR-FM competing with Mark Christopher for years, and Ebi as a traffic and news reporter at KJR-FM around the same time. Some of the other names mentoned in Christopher's report I didn't recognize either, though I'd have to listen to the report again to figure out who.

Ummm...That's "Heidi May" #SpellHerName

Ummm...That's "Heidi May" #SpellHerName

Heidi May...a true warrior on Seattle radio. Worked with her in the 80's...a true talent, and a genuinely nice person.

KBSG destroyed a couple of AM's doing oldies in the 80's, notably KVI and KJR. Not necessarily for their programming, (though it was good), but simply that the product was being offered on FM for the first time in market history, (I think). Someone can correct me...

Heidi May...a true warrior on Seattle radio. Worked with her in the 80's...a true talent, and a genuinely nice person.

KBSG destroyed a couple of AM's doing oldies in the 80's, notably KVI and KJR. Not necessarily for their programming, (though it was good), but simply that the product was being offered on FM for the first time in market history, (I think). Someone can correct me...

The post "KIXI Light" K-Lite of `1986-1987 was really oldies heavy, albeit the softest possible oldies ("All In The Game" Tommy Edwards, "Poor Little Fool" Ricky Nelson, "Don't Say You Don't Remember" Beverly Bremers, etc.) mixed in with helium light AC music. Though not any true oldies format, it was as close as it got before KBSG.

The post "KIXI Light" K-Lite of `1986-1987 was really oldies heavy, albeit the softest possible oldies ("All In The Game" Tommy Edwards, "Poor Little Fool" Ricky Nelson, "Don't Say You Don't Remember" Beverly Bremers, etc.) mixed in with helium light AC music. Though not any true oldies format, it was as close as it got before KBSG.

Not sure K-Lite offered those oldies, but I may be wrong. My memory is when new owners took over KIXI-FM they went pretty seriously lite AC. Perhaps they added some oldies, but if they did, it didn't last long.

Not sure K-Lite offered those oldies, but I may be wrong. My memory is when new owners took over KIXI-FM they went pretty seriously lite AC. Perhaps they added some oldies, but if they did, it didn't last long.

You are correct Paul. When Ackerley bought KIXI-FM from Wally Nelskog, it went straight to Light AC and the call was changed to KLTX (K-Lite). I suppose one could have considered some of their playlist oldies (Minute by Minute-Doobie Bros.), but not as an 'oldies' station.

Thunder Bay Communications bought KIXI-FM from Wally Nelskog. Thunder Bay sold it to Ackerley in 1988 (around that time.)

I believe Thunder Bay was Wally Nelskog. Wally had created a new company and transferred KIXI over to it prior to the sale. But you're right Larry; It was 1988, because earlier in 88 is when I started with KJR.

I believe Thunder Bay was Wally Nelskog. Wally had created a new company and transferred KIXI over to it prior to the sale. But you're right Larry; It was 1988, because earlier in 88 is when I started with KJR.

Kelly, I was part of the change in January 1985. Within about a one week period, Manager Dean Smith and PD Bill Norton were let go. I resigned a week after that as they were demoting my airshift. There was never any idea or even rumor that Thunder Bay was a new company owned by Wally. Though I won't discount it totally, because I was just a 25 year old jock who couldn't care less about the inner-workings. Just looking for my next gig at that point. Perhaps someone out there, (hello Marc Christopher...who came to K-LITE soon after can clarify)...

BTW, I may have shared this story before, but I was on the air at KIXI-FM on September 1st, 1983 when I got a call from Wally Nelskog on the hotline. He told me that his friend U.S. Senator Henry M. Jackson had died. He told me to get it on the air. I believe KIXI-FM was the first to announce this to Seattle media. Will never forget that.

BTW, I may have shared this story before, but I was on the air at KIXI-FM on September 1st, 1983 when I got a call from Wally Nelskog on the hotline. He told me that his friend U.S. Senator Henry M. Jackson had died. He told me to get it on the air. I believe KIXI-FM was the first to announce this to Seattle media. Will never forget that.

Yeah Wally was a good guy. A little eccentric, but he never tried to screw anyone that I knew of. Wally was one of the original Northwest broadcast guys that came up from nothing, and managed to get out of the business just about the right time. Probably one of the last of that breed.

Yes, he did well. I remember going to a staff party at his palatial Edmonds home overlooking Puget Sound.

As an aside, different members of that generation, the Danz brothers also did well in radio, when I worked for Fred in Tri-Cities at OK95, modeled originally after KZOK (OK102 and a half). The Danz brothers basically owned what is now downtown Bellevue. Some oldsters may remember the John Danz theater in Bellevue, plus a bowling alley that now are 450 foot highrise buildings.

Last edited:
Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.
Back
Top Bottom