• Get involved.
    We want your input!
    Apply for Membership and join the conversations about everything related to broadcasting.

After we receive your registration, a moderator will review it. After your registration is approved, you will be permitted to post.
    If you use a disposable or false email address, your registration will be rejected.

After your membership is approved, please take a minute to tell us a little bit about yourself.
    https://www.radiodiscussions.com/forums/introduce-yourself.1088/

Thanks in advance and have fun!
    RadioDiscussions Administrators

Big 105.3/1570 going Internet Only

Obviously did the math that most of their listeners were coming from the stream rather than the AM w/FM translator.

So who will buy the translator? Or do they put a more advertiser-friendly format on the combo?

Last edited:
Wow, that's pretty abrupt.

Imagine waking up to that on Monday morning not knowing what happened.

OK Costa-Eagle was probably into that for the 400K they paid for the AM, and say another 150K to get the translator in position, the tower rent in Medford must have been a budget buster, or they just couldn't sell inventory.

How the hell are their listeners supposed to find them unless they announced it over the last month on air.

We will see how long the streaming lasts, the costs to stream music could easily outstrip any revenue

There's also a notice at their website: https://www.big1053.com/

Apparently that's not part of the sale, at least for now.

K-Love will direct people to their own established website, the Eagle-Costa intellectual property is worthless.

People who hit their pre-set tomorrow morning and hear crap, will just hit the next pre-set.

After a few days of hitting the pre-set and hearing crap they will bypass it or erase it.

The same people who will be running from WROR in droves....

On their facebook
It's Official..... Big 105.3 is leaving terrestrial Radio and becoming a internet ONLY streaming Station as "Boston's BIG FM". You can still listen to all your favorite Greatest hits from the 60's, 70's and more... by downloading our APP in IOS or Android, or you can ask Alexa " Alexa Play Boston's Big FM" and continue to enjoy Boston's BIG FM.... Stay Tuned..

I noticed that, a couple of days before the flip, they dropped "105.3" from their liners and began just calling themselves "Big FM".

Yes.The city of license was changed to Methuen with antenna in Andover.The FM translator is in Medford.
The WNSH calls at one point went to the country station in NYC

Wiki.:
>>In 2016, the station switched its city of license from Beverly to Methuen with its transmitter in Andover, Massachusetts.

Are we talking about the same 1570AM WNSH that was at Pickering Wharf in Salem, MA back in the day?

Yes, It was bought by current owner Costa-Eagle in 2011 and became WMVX the next year with a succession of ethnic formats (variations of Spanish, Brazilian and Portuguese). The COL was changed to Methuen in 2014 where Costa-Eagle's stations are located, and transmitter was moved to Andover upgraded to 44,000 watts days/140 watts nights. In 2017 it briefly swapped call letters with co-owned WCCM.

In early 2018 a directional FM translator was added on 105.3 in Medford (near the Malden line), then ethnic programming soon ended, first with a brief simulcast of co-owned Classic Hits WMVX (those call letters by then on 1110 AM/98.9 FM lic. Salem, NH), then to the mostly satellite delivered Oldies format as WUBG "Big 105.3 FM" that aired until this July 1st when it went online only, with the on-air signals of WUBG 1570 AM/105.3 FM taken over by EMF's K-Love Contemporary Christian programming (streamed separately on their own website).

Too bad 1220 WQUN here in Hamden CT did not go the internet route instead of signing off altogether.The cheapskate idiots at QU probably would not waste their big money on that either.I hope they realize they just screwed their sports dept for no more game coverage.At lease they have some coverage with the internet if they went the internet route...... .

Too bad 1220 WQUN here in Hamden CT did not go the internet route instead of signing off altogether.The cheapskate idiots at QU probably would not waste their big money on that either.I hope they realize they just screwed their sports dept for no more game coverage.At lease they have some coverage with the internet if they went the internet route...... .

More people probably watch Quinnipiac hockey on ESPN Plus than listen to it on radio. Either way, you're talking about triple digits. Lack of a radio contract won't make a bit of difference.

Besides, QU sports might still wind up on flea-powered WQAQ, right?

Last edited:
More people probably watch Quinnipiac hockey on ESPN Plus than listen to it on radio. Either way, you're talking about triple digits. Lack of a radio contract won't make a bit of difference.

I work with a young man. 2019 graduate of QU. When I told him QU was shutting down WQUN (AM), but keeping WQAQ for student use he told me he had never even heard of WQAQ (FM) or WQUN (AM). He has satellite radio in his car, but usually listens to Kiss 95.7 and KC 101.

OK Thanks for the info.I agree .Get would wide coverage with ESPN .Did not know ESPN carried QU games.Atlease they have something.

I work with a young man. 2019 graduate of QU. When I told him QU was shutting down WQUN (AM), but keeping WQAQ for student use he told me he had never even heard of WQAQ (FM) or WQUN (AM). He has satellite radio in his car, but usually listens to Kiss 95.7 and KC 101.

Wow.Too bad your co-worker did not check all the goodies that QU has to offer.I can understand that he had no interest of oldies music .I had sat radio.A waste of money for me.I can hear the same stuff on my Ipod.....I cant say anything about QU FM since I have not tuned in to see what they play.Its probably similar open type format like Choate's WWEB in Wallingford when I was up on their station 40 years ago... I had a country music show on the station.

Back to OP.Too bad the station is signing off.Another oldies station gone.........

So 1570 and the 105.3 translator are airing K-Love. Boston was perhaps the last large market where the Educational Media Foundation didn't have a toehold. Up and down the coast, K-Love or Air 1 are on numerous stations. There's 95.5 in Providence, the former Brown University outlet that had been Alternative Rock. 106.5 in the Portsmouth market, 93.9 in Portland, 106.9 in Hartford. K-Love just took over the former Cumulus stations in NYC (95.5 WPLJ) and Washington (107.3 WRQX), after taking over 100.3 in Los Angeles the previous year.

For now, EMF will have to be satisfied with an FM translator, broadcasting at 250 watts, in Boston.

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.
Back
Top Bottom