• Get involved.
    We want your input!
    Apply for Membership and join the conversations about everything related to broadcasting.

After we receive your registration, a moderator will review it. After your registration is approved, you will be permitted to post.
    If you use a disposable or false email address, your registration will be rejected.

After your membership is approved, please take a minute to tell us a little bit about yourself.
    https://www.radiodiscussions.com/forums/introduce-yourself.1088/

Thanks in advance and have fun!
    RadioDiscussions Administrators

K206AC 89.1 (KPBS translator)

Does anyone know why KPBS 89.5 has a 4 watt translator (K206AC 89.1) not even 1 mile away from their 27 kW primary transmitter on Mt. Soledad?
I heard it during the top of the hour ID, and was wondering what purpose it could serve.

According to the last minor mod application for the translator, they have it due to terrain blocking the main KPBS signal along the coast.

It's not exactly where the pushpin shows it on maps, either. It's atop 939 Coast Blvd, the big L-shaped tower on Coast Blvd.

Does anyone know why KPBS 89.5 has a 4 watt translator (K206AC 89.1) not even 1 mile away from their 27 kW primary transmitter on Mt. Soledad?
I heard it during the top of the hour ID, and was wondering what purpose it could serve.

This translator is a remnant from the time when KPBS-FM's primary transmitter was many miles to the southeast, on Mt. San Miguel. During the many decades it was on Miguel, the signal was shadowed in La Jolla immediately to the north of Mt. Soledad. The translator also provided coverage a few miles north up the coast, where San Miguel signals were a bit weak. Another purpose may have been to provide a better signal in some of San Diego's highest-income areas, where listeners were more likely to donate to the station.

I agree that the translator doesn't seem to be needed now. It's been seven years since the main transmitter was moved to Mt. Soledad. KPBS might be trying to sell it to another station. But that process can take years. And if it went to an existing local non-com, the only possibilities I see are KSDS Jazz 88.3, or KNSJ 89.1. I'd say KNSJ is more likely because their main transmitter is much further away, their main signal is already on 89.1, plus they're in expansion mode (building a 2nd station licensed to Ramona)

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.
Back
Top Bottom