• Get involved.
    We want your input!
    Apply for Membership and join the conversations about everything related to broadcasting.

After we receive your registration, a moderator will review it. After your registration is approved, you will be permitted to post.
    If you use a disposable or false email address, your registration will be rejected.

After your membership is approved, please take a minute to tell us a little bit about yourself.
    https://www.radiodiscussions.com/forums/introduce-yourself.1088/

Thanks in advance and have fun!
    RadioDiscussions Administrators

Fast (talk) Radio

kfbkfb

Leading Participant
Some of my DVD players play DVDs at 1.3x/1.4x with correct pitch sound.

My idea is to use time compression + pitch shift technology to compress
(for example) a 3 hour (*recorded*) talk radio program into 2 hours (with
the same number of uncompressed ads/hour).

The hard breaks at the top and bottom of the hour could be handled by
repeating the last 30 seconds of the compressed audio with the lead in
that says "we now join the following program already in progress".

Bumper music would sound a little odd, but, IIRC, most people can
follow talk up to about ~2.5x.

This would obviously allow a Talk Radio station to carry more talk radio
programs /day.

Kirk Bayne

This is technically possible, as you say for pre-recorded programs. But, much like your post a few weeks ago about Quad, just because something is technically possible does not mean it makes business sense.

The bottom line is that producing talk programming costs money, so unless speeding up the hosts will increase audience substantially the idea is DOA. My gut says that speeding up the hosts by that much would decrease audience instead, especially among older folks who may not have the highest fidelity hearing any longer and among AM stations who never had the highest fidelity audio.

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.
Back
Top Bottom