• Get involved.
    We want your input!
    Apply for Membership and join the conversations about everything related to broadcasting.

After we receive your registration, a moderator will review it. After your registration is approved, you will be permitted to post.
    If you use a disposable or false email address, your registration will be rejected.

After your membership is approved, please take a minute to tell us a little bit about yourself.
    https://www.radiodiscussions.com/forums/introduce-yourself.1088/

Thanks in advance and have fun!
    RadioDiscussions Administrators

Interference To WGN 720 In SE Michigan

Schroedingers Cat

Star Participant
I'm getting an apparent ground wave heterodyne on top of 720 of about 2 Hz in SE Michigan, seems to be close to the FI of WGN. Any ideas as to what this is? There's a station near Harrisburg, PA that has a CP for 3.9 kW. This isn't exactly Daytime Skywave Season. There is a 50 kW station in NC, but I doubt that is even it, again unless there is Daytime Skywave. I was just trying to compare the new WBBM signal to WGN and WSCR. The heterodyne seemed the strongest of the three. I don't see any new stations in Canada on 720 either.

Last edited:
Are you sure that is not 2 kHz? In that case you might want to be looking at first adjacents.

Nope. It's fading and increasing twice per second approximately. I think now it may be an intermodulation product of WJR 760 and CKLW 800, interfering with WGN 720. I've never heard it before, on any receiver, so I assume it's radiated, not receiver induced.

I'd say it would be the WJR transmitter. 2 X 760 = 1520 1520 - 800 = 720.

I'd say it's about 0.1 mV/m in my RL. WJR is around 20 mV/m. If it's radiated, that would be about 50000/200^2 = 50000/40000 = 1.25 watts, 46 dB down from the main signal. Should be down 80 dB at least.

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.
Back
Top Bottom