Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: AM Frequency of the week: 1040

Quote Originally Posted by CADXER View Post
    Yes I remember that as well. And of course all the way back in 1981 Radio Moscow used the reported 150kW transmitter in Cuba to broadcast their Radio Moscow English service to North America on 600 kHz. I remember one day in 1981 driving in downtown Chicago on Lake Shore Drive tuning the car radio to AM 600 and surprising the other passengers in the car.
    Yes, that Radio Moscow signal on 600 in the early 80s was quite strong at night in the midwest.

West Houston, daytime is all slop from semilocal 1050 and KCTA down in Corpus Christi. WHO starts to come in close to sunset and is on top until sunrise when the aforementioned 1050 and 1030 sign on. I have possibly heard gospel KGGR from Dallas around sunset but never a positive ID.

Warminster PA(Philly 'burbs):

Daytime: semi-local WCHR from Flemington NJ.
    Night: also WCHR, with WHO or maybe a Spanish station occasionally overpowering it.

Quote Originally Posted by CADXER View Post
    And of course all the way back in 1981 Radio Moscow used the reported 150kW transmitter in Cuba to broadcast their Radio Moscow English service to North America on 600 kHz. I remember one day in 1981 driving in downtown Chicago on Lake Shore Drive tuning the car radio to AM 600 and surprising the other passengers in the car.
    I also remember that. R. Moscow via Cuba on 600 even blasted on the cheap little clock radio I had in the bedroom.
    Owner of a radio receiver

Quote Originally Posted by cyberdad View Post
    I also remember that. R. Moscow via Cuba on 600 even blasted on the cheap little clock radio I had in the bedroom.
    That RM signal on 600 was so strong that I could regularly hear it on my car radio at night.

Days its local WPBS AM (not to be confused with WPBS TV) out of Conyers GA. It's an Asian formatted station. Station is visible on I-20 East out of Atlanta. At one time it was on 1050 but was moved to give more clearance to WKNG 1060 Talapoosa GA.
    Nights its WHO.

Days...Nothing

Nights...WHO from Des Moines Iowa. The signal travels 1545 miles to my location on a regular bases, all times of the year ( obviously winter being the best ). Very impressive signal!!! The fade is the only thing that makes listening to programs, a challenge. The fade can last anywhere from 15 seconds, up to 45 seconds. In all fairness, AM 640 KFi from Los Angeles has nasty fade too, but it will dip down low and return to full strengthen much sooner. WHO was first long distance catch beyond 1500 miles, until I grabbed AM 870 WWL out of New Orleans. All catches I've done, have been off the radios stock AM antenna.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12