Thread: AC / Hot AC in Los Angeles

AC / Hot AC in Los Angeles

We've seen that KOST and KBIG regularly top the ratings with their AC and Hot AC formats, respectively. I believe they are strong billers. (I may need a figure to back this up.)

But what has stopped anyone from launching a threat to either station in the market? I know the closest competitor to KOST is KTWV, with KOST playing way more pop cuts than The Wave. But would anyone launch a threat to KBIG? Maybe Entercom will reposition KAMP to Hot AC? Is it because KOST/KBIG listeners also listen to KIIS/KAMP which makes such a reposition unnecessary?

Moderator/Co-Administrator
    Quote Originally Posted by radiojomo View Post
    We've seen that KOST and KBIG regularly top the ratings with their AC and Hot AC formats, respectively. I believe they are strong billers. (I may need a figure to back this up.)
    Second and fourth in total revenue in the market.

But what has stopped anyone from launching a threat to either station in the market? I know the closest competitor to KOST is KTWV, with KOST playing way more pop cuts than The Wave. But would anyone launch a threat to KBIG? Maybe Entercom will reposition KAMP to Hot AC? Is it because KOST/KBIG listeners also listen to KIIS/KAMP which makes such a reposition unnecessary?
    iHeart has its famous "Wall of Women" with KIIS, KBIG and KOST" overlapping each other. It is a powerful sales force, and it can be combined to block sales by a stand-alone AC.

The Wave is a rhythmic leaning AC... far from being Urban. It offers an alternative to the iHeart combo as it has a higher male component and is very liked in the Hispanic community. It combines well with KRTH and Jack as being fairly balanced buys. Entercom is not going to do traditional AC or hot AC with the Wave doing its job well.

In fact, the only way I think that a new AC could compete would be if it were targeted principally at Hispanics in the way WFEZ in Miami is (remembering that WFEZ is not like the iHeart Breeze stations in that WFEZ is a mood station that does just as well in 25-34 as in 45-54). However, to compete there it would have to deal with KLVE as well, the markets other Hot AC.
    www.americanradiohistory.com
    Broadcasting Magazine and Yearbooks, Billboard, Cash Box, R&R, Record World, Music & Media, Audio, Television/Radio Age, R&R, Duncan's American Radio, Popular Electronics, Studio Sound, Broadcast Engineering, db, and more.