Thread: KFBK suggestions

KFBK suggestions

I like KFBK, but I wish they were more news-oriented and local, especially on their website. They have a news team and some local programming, traffic and weather around the clock, etc. but it seems too generic. I think they would be better off being something like a WTOP or WINS, rather than like a WABC. I was listening to them last night and they were covering a local story where a police officer ended up being shot and killed in a standoff. When you go to their website, the story is all the way at the bottom of the site, below some national and trending stories. iheartmedia just gives them a basic generic template, the same design as a generic soundtracked midwest station. Seriously? They have a news team. They can't hire someone to update local news and add more local stories to the station? On sacbee.com the officer shooting story takes up the whole screen on the front page, on kfbk.com you have to scroll all the way down and actually LOOK for it. Again, they have a local news team and they had a reporter from the station on the scene.
    This is especially relevant since almost everything is shifting digital. Their website, kfbk.com, should compete with sacbee and other local news stations if they want to make money and compete and just offer a better product overall.

The story isn't even on their homepage now, instead it's worthless stories. I guess my issue is with their website mostly. It's generic stories on the same generic template as every other iheartmedia website. To actually find out about that story, you have to go to news -> top stories and it's like the 3rd article in their 3 column grid system.

I think syndicated Tom Sullivan gave it more discussion (and a local call) than the morning news show

They covered it when they were live again and put it on the front page of their website this evening.. but wow, that should have been a bigger story earlier on for them, they should have known how important it was instead of way later on after everyone did.

It's tough these days for a station that wants to maintain a news presence in a market outside the top 20. A few stations like KFBK have an all-news morning show, similar to a WINS or KCBS.

But that's expensive. So many news/talk stations outside the top 20 call their morning show "Cleveland's Morning News." But it really isn't. It's a talk host with a newscaster and a producer. Maybe the talk host tries to do interviews with the local mayors, congress people, state legislators, etc. And there's frequent traffic and weather. But maybe no in the field reporters or news staff at all.

Same thing for updating the website. You need a human to do it. It is sloppy though, if this is one of the biggest stories in Sacramento this year, the shooting of a cop. Maybe for that, you call people in.

if you don't like how KFBK-FM is handling we have another News/Talk station in Sacramento its KXJZ-FM the NPR affiliate in the Valley

I know Cap Radio does local updates between :00 and :30 on the hour at drive time when stories like this come out.

Quote Originally Posted by Gregg. View Post
    It's tough these days for a station that wants to maintain a news presence in a market outside the top 20. A few stations like KFBK have an all-news morning show, similar to a WINS or KCBS.

But that's expensive. So many news/talk stations outside the top 20 call their morning show "Cleveland's Morning News." But it really isn't. It's a talk host with a newscaster and a producer. Maybe the talk host tries to do interviews with the local mayors, congress people, state legislators, etc. And there's frequent traffic and weather. But maybe no in the field reporters or news staff at all.

Same thing for updating the website. You need a human to do it. It is sloppy though, if this is one of the biggest stories in Sacramento this year, the shooting of a cop. Maybe for that, you call people in.
    It is tough these days... Radio has changed a lot and so has KFBK. 20 years ago, a totally different story. Also, 20 years ago there were FAR fewer places to get news from. Honest question, do you tune to KFBK for breaking news? Like many others (I assume), I see notifications on my phone first and then use whatever app I like to read more. I enjoy listening to KFBK if on a drive and I want to hear about traffic or weather but personally, I don't rely on radio or KFBK for news anymore.
    I got out of the business before it sucked the life out of me.
    Now I just play radio online at www.allthebestoldies.com.