• Get involved.
    We want your input!
    Apply for Membership and join the conversations about everything related to broadcasting.

After we receive your registration, a moderator will review it. After your registration is approved, you will be permitted to post.
    If you use a disposable or false email address, your registration will be rejected.

After your membership is approved, please take a minute to tell us a little bit about yourself.
    https://www.radiodiscussions.com/forums/introduce-yourself.1088/

Thanks in advance and have fun!
    RadioDiscussions Administrators

Star 94.1 PD Out

Minus Steve and Vicki, the ratings would blow the roof off, like I said above. Atl is yearning for a change in radio, Star is perfect for it.

My analysis is they probably just found somebody cheaper to do the job. Maybe one of their buddies or, even, relatives.
Happens all the time.

MarkW;6262451 I wouldn't mind them placing a Soft AC format on that frequency said:
Yes! Soft 94.1 kicks off your workday with our 94 @ 9, have you heard about it? It's over 94 minutes of music to start your workday every weekday morning at 9! Voted #1 for the most music while you listen at work ... Soft 94.1

Yes! Soft 94.1 kicks off your workday with our 94 @ 9, have you heard about it? It's over 94 minutes of music to start your workday every weekday morning at 9! Voted #1 for the most music while you listen at work ... Soft 94.1

Maybe even Peach 94.1FM. I have a feeling if this did happen, most likely Q100 would start to lean more Adult CHR again or maybe even go Hot AC.

I'd bet they're talking to both Jordan Graye and Kate McCarthy.

Jabba - what would happen if Star went back to Steve & Vicki in the morning and played all the hits from the late 70's through the late 80s?

Personally, I'd like an AM Gold or Adult/Variety Hits format IMO it's a format hole in the market and there's too many folks trying to peel off a share of the AC/CHR market. But Steve and Vikki is, well, you can't go home again.

But I think they'd get a 3 share. What did Journey get on 97.9--not quite a 2 share?

WCON/1450 in Cornelia has just added a translator at 107.7 - "The Breeze".
If you can't pick it up, here's where to stream:
https://tunein.com/radio/WCON-1450-s27981/

This is kinda what you are talking about, right?

Cornelia.
Georgia.

If Star did this, I am going to say it again, ratings would go through the roof..We have NOTHING remotely close in this dismal radio market.

And dont you think theres a reason you have nothing remotely close to it in the market? With all the companies here, dont you think someone would try it if they thought it'd be successful?

The Atlanta radio market is 10 percent or so hispanic and about 1/3rd black with the average age being 33-34.. doesnt seem liek it'd fit.. and just because some radio geeks want it, doesnt mean anything,

And dont you think theres a reason you have nothing remotely close to it in the market? With all the companies here, dont you think someone would try it if they thought it'd be successful?

The Atlanta radio market is 10 percent or so hispanic and about 1/3rd black with the average age being 33-34.. doesnt seem liek it'd fit.. and just because some radio geeks want it, doesnt mean anything,

If you believe that the Atlanta radio market (or any radio market) is completely efficient, sure.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Efficient-market_hypothesis

But no market is 100% efficient.

To put a finer point on it, you have a bunch of stations chasing young women with various flavors of CHR/AC. At some point something will come along that is more attractive to the least-successful player in that niche than the status quo. Right now either--to your point--there isn't anything more attractive--YET (when is yet? I don't know and neither does anyone else, apparently), or--to my point, nobody has figured out that they might be the odd man out in a competitive demo or something else just might be more attractive than the status quo.

You might be right--and format changes are risky, pricey, and don't leave a lot of room for error--but simply closing the door on any alternatives by saying the pros got this and being dismissive seems like willful blindness to me. The number of businesses that died this way is legion.

You might be right--and format changes are risky, pricey, and don't leave a lot of room for error--but simply closing the door on any alternatives by saying the pros got this and being dismissive seems like willful blindness to me. The number of businesses that died this way is legion.

But those businesses didn't change ownership and management as often as the radio stations in Atlanta. Every time someone new sits in the chair, it's a new look at the options. You can chalk up a couple to willful blindness, but after this many changes, there has to be something more to it. It's been my experience that format change decisions aren't made by one person. There are a lot of people who weigh in.

Heck, prior to the 99.7 flip window of opportunity in 1993 you'd have to go back to when they were simucasting Quixie 790 sometime in the early 70s to find another time when 94.1 was a true CHR.

One other time: Jan Jeffries was PD 1988-89, and the station was "Atlanta's Hit Music. 94Q" for about 6 months. He banished the silly jazz back to Sunday nights only and the station sounded really good after a couple of years in the weeds. But the sales people complained loudly about losing the easy money Jazz Flavors provided, and Jeffries was 86'd.

So, the fact that Atlanta is 33% Black explains why we have 15 stations doing hip-hop urban format? Hmmm.

So, the fact that Atlanta is 33% Black explains why we have 15 stations doing hip-hop urban format? Hmmm.

Hip-hop has plenty of crossover appeal, in case you haven't noticed the decline of rock in the musical preferences of millennials of all races and ethnicities.

Hip-hop has plenty of crossover appeal, in case you haven't noticed the decline of rock in the musical preferences of millennials of all races and ethnicities.

And among more English dominant Hispanics, hip-hop is extremely popular. In markets like LA and Phoenix that have relatively low percentages of African Americans the majority of hip-hop listening (to very high rated stations) is is by Hispanics, followed by non-Hispanic whites (which, in Nielsen's bizarre world is called "other" and includes Asians).

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.
Back
Top Bottom