Thread: Beasley Media Group Unveils Jammin' 105.7 in Las Vegas

Beasley Media Group Unveils Jammin' 105.7 in Las Vegas

https://news.radio-online.com/cgi-bi...line_id=n37021

105.7 FM Just had a format flip

Beasley has unveiled the new Jammin' 105.7 on KOAS-FM in Las Vegas. The new format officially launched with "Smile" by Li'l Duval & Snoop Dogg at midnight on Monday, June 17th.

The Old School + Today's R&B/ Urban adult contemporary station will feature old school favorites, including: Prince, Michael Jackson, Usher, Notorious B.I.G., New Edition, TLC, Janet Jackson, Dre & Snoop, Keith Sweat, Aaliyah, Beyonce/ Destiny's Child and more as well as Today's Hit R&B, including H.E.R., Bruno Mars, Ella Mai, Queen Naija, SZA, Chris Brown, Nicole Bus and more!

The new on-air lineup will include:

5am-9am The Steve Harvey Morning Show
    9am-2pm Zenja Dunn remains in Middays
    2pm-6pm Paco Lopez joins the team for afternoon drive
    6pm-9pm Connie Breeze will handle evening duties
    9pm-2am The Sweat Hotel featuring Keith Sweat

Quote Originally Posted by RadioPatrol View Post
    Did anyone record the format flip?

Looks like an update of the "Jammin' Oldies" format that had a brief run of popularity in the early '90s. Lasted longer than old-school hip-hop, but not by much.

Quote Originally Posted by RadioPatrol View Post
    Why didnt they announce ahead of the flip that it was changing. Im wondering if anyone recorded the station changing formats.

Quote Originally Posted by kidrauhl View Post
    Why didnt they announce ahead of the flip that it was changing. Im wondering if anyone recorded the station changing formats.
    If anyone has the format flip let me know because myself and Ellis B feaster who is a radio dj are interested in getting a copy thanks.

Moderator/Co-Administrator
    Quote Originally Posted by kidrauhl View Post
    It's not generally a popular idea to announce a format change ahead of time. All a station gets is bad press, lots of complaining listeners (more than you thought you had) and needless questions. The only group that needs to be told and deserves to be told is the existing customer base. They can be advised, but not too far in advance.

If the new format is "secret" (as in you want it to be a surprise to the competition) then you'll not talk to record promoters and generally keep it quiet.

Back in the days of the 50's and 60's when stodgy MOR stations were flipping to Top 40, very often the staff was told at the end of the day, while the new staff was waiting in a hotel with all the music on carts or in boxes, jingles ready and clocks ready to tape to the studio window. The last Doris Day song would fade out, and suddenly the jingle sang, "W-H-K, Color Channel 14, color radio!" and Danny and the Juniors took us to the hop.
    www.americanradiohistory.com
    Broadcasting Magazine and Yearbooks, Billboard, Cash Box, R&R, Record World, Music & Media, Audio, Television/Radio Age, R&R, Duncan's American Radio, Popular Electronics, Studio Sound, Broadcast Engineering, db, and more.

This really wasn't a dramatic format flip. It's not like the station went from Top 40 to Country. It had been a Rhythmic Oldies but now KOAS is adding some Rhythmic AC to its playlist, I suppose in an effort to make its demos a bit younger.

To my ears, it really isn't that much different. I would guess most listeners wouldn't notice much of a change. I've just been hearing "Oh, Girl" by the Chi-lights (1972), "The Way You Make Me Feel" from Michael Jackson (1987), "Ain't Nobody" by Chaka Kahn and Rufus (1982), and "Baby, Baby, Baby" by TLC (1992), plus "You" by Nicole Bus from last year.

I guess the real change is adding two syndicated shows... Steve Harvey in mornings and Keith Sweat in evenings. But those are Urban AC shows. I wonder if KOAS is still airing its own playlist during these shows? I doubt Steve Harvey or Keith Sweat have The Chi-Lights, Michael Jackson and Chaka Kahn in their playlists.

Quote Originally Posted by Gregg. View Post
    This really wasn't a dramatic format flip. It's not like the station went from Top 40 to Country. It had been a Rhythmic Oldies but now KOAS is adding some Rhythmic AC to its playlist, I suppose in an effort to make its demos a bit younger.

To my ears, it really isn't that much different. I would guess most listeners wouldn't notice much of a change. I've just been hearing "Oh, Girl" by the Chi-lights (1972), "The Way You Make Me Feel" from Michael Jackson (1987), "Ain't Nobody" by Chaka Kahn and Rufus (1982), and "Baby, Baby, Baby" by TLC (1992), plus "You" by Nicole Bus from last year.

I guess the real change is adding two syndicated shows... Steve Harvey in mornings and Keith Sweat in evenings. But those are Urban AC shows. I wonder if KOAS is still airing its own playlist during these shows? I doubt Steve Harvey or Keith Sweat have The Chi-Lights, Michael Jackson and Chaka Kahn in their playlists.
    Keith Sweat will play some of michael jacksons later music sometimes like you rocked my world or liberian girl sometimes..