Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: 104.3 The Flounder

103.1 West Palm Beach was alternative (migrated to active rock) until December of 2011.

Moderator/Co-Administrator
    Quote Originally Posted by djl View Post
    Doesn’t WRMF have decent coverage in Miami-Dade? I live in NY but used to come down to South Florida so please forgive my ignorance.
    No. The 60 dbu barely touches the North Miami and Carol City area, so it misses 95% of the Miami-Dade population. It is a good signal for northern and central Broaward, but by the time you get to the Hollywood area, it's OK in car, but not in homes and offices.
    www.americanradiohistory.com
    Broadcasting Magazine and Yearbooks, Billboard, Cash Box, R&R, Record World, Music & Media, Audio, Television/Radio Age, R&R, Duncan's American Radio, Popular Electronics, Studio Sound, Broadcast Engineering, db, and more.

Quote Originally Posted by adambaer2879 View Post
    David, what I was asking do you think an alternative station could
    Work on a WPB radio station.
    Not with the high average age in the market. Classic Rock, yes. Alternative, not so much.

The Median Age in the WPB market is about 42 per ACS, while the Miami MSA is 35 and the national average is 37. Rel old market for a young leaning format.
    Broadcasting Magazine and Yearbooks, Billboard, Cash Box, R&R, Record World, Music & Media, Audio, Television/Radio Age, R&R, Duncan's American Radio, Popular Electronics, Studio Sound, Broadcast Engineering, db, and more.

I thought I was hearing them air a baseball game as I drove through Fort Myers last night,
    but it was only WJBX's W282BY
    Ai4i has Always Been on the Trailing Edge of Technology!

Doesn’t WRMF have decent coverage in Miami-Dade? I live in NY but used to come down to South Florida so please forgive my ignorance.
    I also live in NY (in NYC), and go to South Florida almost-every summer. Based on my experiences, WRMF is one of the strongest signals in South Florida...but starts to pick-up static after about Pompano/Fort Lauderdale. Not-so-listenable around Miami, and pretty-much the southern half of Dade Co. Definitely not as strong as the Miami signals.

Also, WEAT, when it was on 104.3 in the WPB area, was not as strong as WRMF.
    All things New York City Radio & Television!

YouTube: AllanNYTVRadio

i thought they both used the main transmitter in Lantana/Wellington and both had 100,000 watts. I remember one time getting WRMF clearly on my Walkman deep inside Miami International Airport.

i thought they both used the main transmitter in Lantana/Wellington...
    Both stations were on channel twenty-nine's and forty-two's tower; one's antenna was slightly higher than the other's;
    Both were rimshots into Miami with 54dB contours south of downtown; good enough to listen to but as DE mentioned, nowhere nearly enough to sell.
    Ai4i has Always Been on the Trailing Edge of Technology!

i thought they both used the main transmitter in Lantana/Wellington and both had 100,000 watts. I remember one time getting WRMF clearly on my Walkman deep inside Miami International Airport.
    AC stations like WRMF depend on at work listening... and back before Smart Speakers and streaming... at home listening.

We know from the data in the diary survey that 85% of indoor listening is inside the 70 dbu contour and 95% is fully inside the 65 dbu contour. WRMF does not put a usable signal into Miami Dade for indoor listening. Occasional incidents of indoor reception does not change this signal limitation that applies / applied in all rated markets; this is an issue of physics, not content.

Quote Originally Posted by AlNYRadio View Post
    I also live in NY (in NYC), and go to South Florida almost-every summer. Based on my experiences, WRMF is one of the strongest signals in South Florida...but starts to pick-up static after about Pompano/Fort Lauderdale. Not-so-listenable around Miami, and pretty-much the southern half of Dade Co. Definitely not as strong as the Miami signals.

Also, WEAT, when it was on 104.3 in the WPB area, was not as strong as WRMF.
    And don’t forget pirates! When I was there, both 97.7 and 98.1 were occupied by a Haitian Creole station and a part-time reggae station, respectively. This is out in western Hollywood, so I’d imagine most junk radio receivers inside a building (as are a majority of at-work listening radios are) would not fare well with two sloppy pirates on each adjacent channel.

I do know either WEAT or WRMF was planning a series of boosters to enhance coverage in Broward/North Dade to try and make the signal a player in the Miami market...I don’t think that ever happened though.
    As we used to say down in ol' Mexico City...A.M.F.!

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123