Page 1 of 9 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Missing Format in New York City Radio

Missing Format in New York City Radio

I was just thinking of an easy listening format of Artist from the 60s & 70s like Roger Miller, Judy Collins, Gordon Lightfoot, Carpenters, Barry Manilow, Carol King, Ann Murry, etc. is missing from the radio in New York City. I already heard advertisers won't support in but was wondering why advertisers won't support it ?

Quote Originally Posted by MusicRadioUSA View Post
    I was just thinking of an easy listening format of Artist from the 60s & 70s like Roger Miller, Judy Collins, Gordon Lightfoot, Carpenters, Barry Manilow, Carol King, Ann Murry, etc. is missing from the radio in New York City. I already heard advertisers won't support in but was wondering why advertisers won't support it ?
    Because there aren't enough listeners in heavily ethnic NYC to support it. Upbeat and rhythmic are what work in NYC radio. Soft and melodic do not.

Perhaps Alt 92.3 should switch to a Jack format. Though the last time Jack was tried in New York it was displaced by the return of the classic hits format, it did quite well, probably better than the current rock programming on 92.3. I believe that the wide variety of music on Jack formats is similar to how many people listen to music, a lot of different songs, rather than a rigid playlist.
    There is a lot of flexibility in a Jack type format. It does not necessarily need to play as much rock as the previous Jack, or the one in Los Angeles. It can mix in a lot of pop and rhythmic cuts.

Quote Originally Posted by MusicRadioUSA View Post
    In Long Island on 93.3 the breeze, my friend Dave. If want to talk about it. Please message on Facebook

Even if the listeners were there (debatable), the advertisers are not interested in trying to reach the 55+ geezer crowd (not debatable).
    That's just reality, and it's been beaten to death on every radio message board. It's not a viable business strategy.

Quote Originally Posted by luperm View Post
    Even if the listeners were there (debatable), the advertisers are not interested in trying to reach the 55+ geezer crowd (not debatable).
    That's just reality, and it's been beaten to death on every radio message board. It's not a viable business strategy.
    A recent report says marketers are moving away from millennials.

Quote Originally Posted by luperm View Post
    To quote Lionel, the dentist’s radio message board is comprised of a bunch of drunks. I would have to agree.

Moderator/Co-Administrator
    Quote Originally Posted by Lee Linwood View Post
    A recent report says marketers are moving away from millennials.
    This is not about unattributed market reports or TV or the comic books for that matter. It's about radio, and there are just about zero agency dollars being placed against 55+, with almost all monies spent going after 18-49 or 25-54 or some subset of those age spans.
    www.americanradiohistory.com
    Broadcasting Magazine and Yearbooks, Billboard, Cash Box, R&R, Record World, Music & Media, Audio, Television/Radio Age, R&R, Duncan's American Radio, Popular Electronics, Studio Sound, Broadcast Engineering, db, and more.

Moderator/Co-Administrator
    Quote Originally Posted by Lee Linwood View Post
    To quote Lionel, the dentist’s radio message board is comprised of a bunch of drunks. I would have to agree.
    Yet that board has participants ranging from station managers to former and present air talent at a number of the market's top stations.

Lionel's opinion is about as significant as his ratings.
    www.americanradiohistory.com
    Broadcasting Magazine and Yearbooks, Billboard, Cash Box, R&R, Record World, Music & Media, Audio, Television/Radio Age, R&R, Duncan's American Radio, Popular Electronics, Studio Sound, Broadcast Engineering, db, and more.

There are a few good formats missing in NYC including Active Rock. Variety Hits (Jack). Classic Hip Hop. And Soft-AC, which is closest to the OP's suggestion and which is doing well in some markets.

This is what makes the loss of a commercial FM frequency so frustrating. WPLJ was a rotten station for a long time but it had the *potential* to be flipped to any of those missing formats. Cumulus was a terrible steward, though. Drove their awful-sounding cluster into the ground and then dumped it in their desperation for money. Now 95.5 is dogma forever and we'll never get any of those other formats because now there's nowhere to put them.

Page 1 of 9 123 ... LastLast