Page 2 of 18 FirstFirst 123412 ... LastLast

Thread: K-Surf 1260 growing playlist

Moderator/Co-Administrator
    Quote Originally Posted by oldies76 View Post
    Denver has three stations on the AM dial that do roughly the same thing. You have 1510 (which leans rock), 810 and 1430 (which lean select standards and oldies / classic hits) which I can pick up 60 miles south in the day. Could this be a nationwide trend? But yes, 900+ songs is a bonus in 2019. It can be done!!
    None of those stations is making money. At best, they add about 0.02 ratings points to the cluster.

What that means is not enough listeners to get on an agency buy and not enough customers to create retail direct traffic.
    www.americanradiohistory.com
    Broadcasting Magazine and Yearbooks, Billboard, Cash Box, R&R, Record World, Music & Media, Audio, Television/Radio Age, R&R, Duncan's American Radio, Popular Electronics, Studio Sound, Broadcast Engineering, db, and more.

Moderator/Co-Administrator
    Quote Originally Posted by ATSFGuy View Post
    The playlist could be around 900-950 songs.

Unlike Hartford CT, LA is car culture when means radio listeners flip the dial without hesitation, but even a low powered AM station with a playlist in the 900's is better than none.
    Actually if we go back to pre-PPM, we find that Hartford and LA had about the same percentage of radio listening in the car. The only major variation was New York City, where in-car under-indexed significantly because of the high use of public transit.

The issue with KSUR is that it has limited coverage and people commuting are likely not to hear it for the full length of their commute. And it's not low power: 20 kw days and 7.5 kw nights.
    www.americanradiohistory.com
    Broadcasting Magazine and Yearbooks, Billboard, Cash Box, R&R, Record World, Music & Media, Audio, Television/Radio Age, R&R, Duncan's American Radio, Popular Electronics, Studio Sound, Broadcast Engineering, db, and more.

During the day if you commute from Lancaster/ Palmdale area you have a good signal. At night you start to loose it as you go through Santa Clarita area.

Of course, it began as a San Fernando Valley station, and it even has to protect 1280 in Long Beach!
    Last edited by DavidEduardo; 06-15-2019 at 03:10 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by DavidEduardo View Post

Actually if we go back to pre-PPM, we find that Hartford and LA had about the same percentage of radio listening in the car. The only major variation was New York City, where in-car under-indexed significantly because of the high use of public transit.
    But I'd imagine people in Los Angeles spend more time in their cars going to and from work, given the much greater size and population of the metro area and the heavier traffic they generate, right? Delays of even 30 minutes are relatively rare on I-91 and I-84 heading in and out of Hartford; in fact, I often drive right through Hartford on 91 around 8 a.m. on weekdays and only have to slow to 40 or so for a few exits before traffic speeds up again once all the downtown area traffic has gotten off. Surely the LA commuters are spending a lot longer getting to work and coming home (and listening to more radio while doing so).

I mean, if "Muskrat Love" was played at 4:12pm today (early drive time), then anything's game. I applaud them for playing the "lesser known" songs day after day. Playlist is at least 900 songs ATSF, it could very well be over 1000, with many more on "standyby". Can anyone even remember when "Muskrat Love" was last played in the L.A. market? I know KRTH did in the 1980's, but that was 33 years ago.
    Which "Muskrat Love", America or Captain & Tennille?

Quote Originally Posted by semoochie View Post
    Which "Muskrat Love", America or Captain & Tennille?
    Gotta be Captain & Tennille.

I always thought the Captain looked embarrassed when he played this song. Like "the wife dragged me into this, this isn't really my music - you guys understand."

Of course he had a decent excuse. As for America...

C&T's version was the #1 hit. And recording it was the wife's idea. Releasing it as a single was the label's idea.

Quote Originally Posted by TheBigA View Post
    C&T's version was the #1 hit. And recording it was the wife's idea. Releasing it as a single was the label's idea.
    I always thought love would keep them together. In the end, it didn't.

Quote Originally Posted by ChannelFlipper View Post
    Gotta be Captain & Tennille.

I always thought the Captain looked embarrassed when he played this song. Like "the wife dragged me into this, this isn't really my music - you guys understand."

Of course he had a decent excuse. As for America...
    The America version didn't have the electronic muskrat squeals, a small mark in its favor. Its writer, Willis Alan Ramsey, is actually highly regarded in Texas country/Americana circles, having written songs recorded by Jerry Jeff Walker, Jimmie Dale Gilmore, Waylon Jennings and others. He also wrote "That's Right (I'm From Texas)," recorded by Lyle Lovett. Needless to say, his take on the muskrat song -- which he titled "Muskrat Candlelight" -- was neither as cutesy as C&T's nor as bland as America's.

If you look at the playlist tab on their website and go back two days worth of song titles, few repetition is noted. Only once in the last couple days was "Hotel California" played, instead of 7 times on other stations.
    You really hate that song, don't you?

Page 2 of 18 FirstFirst 123412 ... LastLast