Page 1 of 18 12311 ... LastLast
Results 1 to 10 of 176

Thread: K-Surf 1260 growing playlist

  1. #1

    Join Date
    Oct 2007
    Location
    USA
    Posts
    4,069

    K-Surf 1260 growing playlist

    Noticing the ever-growing playlist on K-Surf 1260 (Los Angeles). They now play many songs and lost classics from mainly the 60's and 70's, with a touch of 50's and some early 80's. A dream station that L.A. has been waiting for so many years. Granted, the signal does not travel great distances, but for those that can receive it, they are in for a treat! Reminds me of K-Earth 101 from decades ago! Saul and staff are doing a fantastic job. Now all we need are some weekend specials and it will be complete. Kudos to K-Surf!

    As for the playlist, very complete with many songs not heard on FM radio any longer. Softer ballads, rock & roll, disco classics...etc.. And with the limited commercial breaks, you get more than the average songs per hour. Lots of seldom heard classics mixed with the staples and bigger hit songs. They way radio should be, nothing less.

    Keep throwing out the hits 1260.
    Celebrating 64 Years of Rock & Roll Classics!

  2. #2
    Quote Originally Posted by oldies76 View Post
    As for the playlist, very complete with many songs not heard on FM radio any longer.
    Unless you listen to KCSN

  3. #3
    The interesting thing is, they're not playing obscurities or stiffs. Everything on the "last played" list for the past hour was a big hit, and just about all were played regularly on oldies stations in the '90s before the older songs started aging out. I expected a strong "oh wow" factor when I clicked the "listen" button, but there's no "oh wow" at all to songs like Go Your Own Way," "Brandy" and "Time Is On My Side." Now they're playing Boston's "Foreplay/Long Time," which is more likely to be played on classic rock radio than oldies/classic hits, but it is still a very familiar hit.

    So I'm curious as to why oldies76 is so enthusiastic about this station. Is it that K-Surf still allows allows all the varieties of pop, rock and r&b that topped radio playlists in the '50s, '60s and '70s to coexist today?

  4. #4

    Join Date
    Oct 2007
    Location
    USA
    Posts
    4,069
    Quote Originally Posted by CTListener View Post
    The interesting thing is, they're not playing obscurities or stiffs. Everything on the "last played" list for the past hour was a big hit, and just about all were played regularly on oldies stations in the '90s before the older songs started aging out. I expected a strong "oh wow" factor when I clicked the "listen" button, but there's no "oh wow" at all to songs like Go Your Own Way," "Brandy" and "Time Is On My Side." Now they're playing Boston's "Foreplay/Long Time," which is more likely to be played on classic rock radio than oldies/classic hits, but it is still a very familiar hit.

    So I'm curious as to why oldies76 is so enthusiastic about this station. Is it that K-Surf still allows allows all the varieties of pop, rock and r&b that topped radio playlists in the '50s, '60s and '70s to coexist today?
    If you look at the playlist tab on their website and go back two days worth of song titles, few repetition is noted. Only once in the last couple days was "Hotel California" played, instead of 7 times on other stations. They played "Love Rollercoaster" earlier today, that would be an "oh wow". You have to look at the days worth of songs, not just one hour's worth to locate them. You'll see them. And since many FM's have eliminated them, to hear these songs will give the "oh wow" impression. So yeah, I am enthusiastic and it's great to hear the classics again. I hope it continues for some time.

    BTW, "I'm Your Boogie Man" is an "Oh Wow", just played recently.
    Last edited by oldies76; 06-14-2019 at 06:43 PM.
    Celebrating 64 Years of Rock & Roll Classics!

  5. #5
    Quote Originally Posted by oldies76 View Post
    If you look at the playlist tab on their website and go back two days worth of song titles, few repetition is noted. Only once in the last couple days was "Hotel California" played, instead of 7 times on other stations. They played "Love Rollercoaster" earlier today, that would be an "oh wow". You have to look at the days worth of songs, not just one hour's worth to locate them. You'll see them. And since many FM's have eliminated them, to hear these songs will give the "oh wow" impression. So yeah, I am enthusiastic and it's great to hear the classics again. I hope it continues for some time.
    "Love Rollercoaster" was played regularly on WDRC-FM Hartford until new ownership turned the station first into rock-based classic hits, then straight-on classic rock. To me, an "oh wow" song is one I haven't heard since it was current. It's going to be a long time before I think of a song I was hearing on FM 15 years ago as an "oh wow" song, and most of what I'm hearing on K-Surf, except some of the '50s/early '60s hits (which I remember from the early oldies stations of the '80s), falls into that category for me. I guess LA's oldies station wasn't as deep as Hartford's oldies station.

  6. #6
    The playlist could be around 900-950 songs.

    Unlike Hartford CT, LA is car culture when means radio listeners flip the dial without hesitation, but even a low powered AM station with a playlist in the 900's is better than none.

    WRDC's playlist may have matched WCBS's for a bit. Under Joe McCoy, WCBS FM's playlist was around 1,500 songs in the mid 90's. It dropped to 1,200 in 2002, then went to 600-700 songs, in 2003 where it stayed until flipping to Jack FM in June 2005.

  7. #7

    Join Date
    Oct 2007
    Location
    USA
    Posts
    4,069
    I mean, if "Muskrat Love" was played at 4:12pm today (early drive time), then anything's game. I applaud them for playing the "lesser known" songs day after day. Playlist is at least 900 songs ATSF, it could very well be over 1000, with many more on "standyby". Can anyone even remember when "Muskrat Love" was last played in the L.A. market? I know KRTH did in the 1980's, but that was 33 years ago.
    Celebrating 64 Years of Rock & Roll Classics!

  8. #8

    Join Date
    Oct 2007
    Location
    USA
    Posts
    4,069
    Quote Originally Posted by ATSFGuy View Post
    but even a low powered AM station with a playlist in the 900's is better than none.
    Denver has three stations on the AM dial that do roughly the same thing. You have 1510 (which leans rock), 810 and 1430 (which lean select standards and oldies / classic hits) which I can pick up 60 miles south in the day. Could this be a nationwide trend? But yes, 900+ songs is a bonus in 2019. It can be done!!
    Celebrating 64 Years of Rock & Roll Classics!

  9. #9
    Quote Originally Posted by oldies76 View Post
    But yes, 900+ songs is a bonus in 2019. It can be done!!
    It can be done if you want to be the lowest rated radio station in town.

  10. #10

    Join Date
    Oct 2007
    Location
    USA
    Posts
    4,069
    Quote Originally Posted by TheBigA View Post
    It can be done if you want to be the lowest rated radio station in town.
    I don't think Saul even cares. He's satisfying older listeners in LA who were abandoned by other stations. He's happy and he's living a dream. All you need is some money. It can be done....
    Celebrating 64 Years of Rock & Roll Classics!

Page 1 of 18 12311 ... LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  

     
Useful Contacts
Community


123