Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: WMAL To Split Simulcast, Debuting ESPN 630

Quote Originally Posted by seattlesarchiebunker View Post
    980 either tries their damnedest to maintain "Redskins Radio"
    Most teams have rules about that kind of thing. If 980 is no longer the flagship, my sense is they can't use "Redskins" in their name any more.

Quote Originally Posted by TheBigA View Post
    Most teams have rules about that kind of thing. If 980 is no longer the flagship, my sense is they can't use "Redskins" in their name any more.
    Has there been any confirmation that 980 will not carry the games this coming year? All 3 (630, 980, and 105.9) carried them last year.

Just found this.

https://www.washingtonpost.com/sport...th-launch-espn

ESPN 630′s launch will signal the end of The Team 980′s status as an ESPN Radio affiliate, but 980, owned by Silver Spring-based media conglomerate Urban One, will remain the flagship home of Redskins broadcasts on the Redskins Radio Network.

Quote Originally Posted by mets18 View Post

ESPN 630′s launch will signal the end of The Team 980′s status as an ESPN Radio affiliate, but 980, owned by Silver Spring-based media conglomerate Urban One, will remain the flagship home of Redskins broadcasts on the Redskins Radio Network.
    In reading the original press release, I see that is correct:

"The station will also carry Washington Redskins NFL games as part of an expanded content partnership with the team and sports/talk shows hosted by local personalities."

So the OP is wrong when it says 630 will be the flagship. It will not. It will simply do what it did last year. 980 remains the flagship, but loses the ESPN deal.

https://news.radio-online.com/cgi-bi...line_id=n37016

Radio One names Stephen Lieberman as General Sales Manager of Sports WTEM-AM (The Team 980) Washington, DC, effective July 8. The veteran sports media exec has spent more than 23 years in sales and marketing, most recently serving as General Sales Manager of NBC Sports Washington. Prior to that Lieberman was the Local Sales Manager for ABC's WMVP-FM (ESPN Radio 1000) Chicago for five years. He began his career in 1996 at the original Sports/Talk 570 AM, which is now "The Team 980."
    Management changes are announced for Team 980.

Just reported that WTEM 980 will add Fox Sports Radio starting July 1, replacing ESPN Radio, that is moving to WMAL.

New calls for 630 starting today. WSBN. Not sure why.

Probably because they've ended the simulcast. WMAL is just for the FM.

If the ratings were done via diary, switching the calls might make sense as it may be difficult to discern who’s listening to what if a person just writes down “WMAL”. When there’s a simulcast, it doesn’t really matter.

Since it’s PPM in DC (last I checked) my guess is the they just wanted a clean break from the past, even though “WSBN Washington” will probably only be said very quickly at the top of the hour. Easier for people outside the cluster to differentiate the stations.

That being said, you can look at Seattle for an example of AM talk to FM, AM keeps the identical calls but with a sports format (and not referring to those heritage calls in the station name). Seems to work OK for them.
    As we used to say down in ol' Mexico City...A.M.F.!

Moderator/Co-Administrator
    Quote Originally Posted by seattlesarchiebunker View Post
    If the ratings were done via diary, switching the calls might make sense as it may be difficult to discern who’s listening to what if a person just writes down “WMAL”. When there’s a simulcast, it doesn’t really matter.
    The diary very clearly has boxes on each line for AM and FM and also has columns for checking location. Diarykeepers are pretty good at filling out that part.

Since it’s PPM in DC (last I checked) my guess is the they just wanted a clean break from the past, even though “WSBN Washington” will probably only be said very quickly at the top of the hour. Easier for people outside the cluster to differentiate the stations.
    On of the main uses these days of call letters is to differentiate between stations at the buying level. Changing calls tells buyers who may never listen or may be in a different market that these are two separate stations.
    www.americanradiohistory.com
    Broadcasting Magazine and Yearbooks, Billboard, Cash Box, R&R, Record World, Music & Media, Audio, Television/Radio Age, R&R, Duncan's American Radio, Popular Electronics, Studio Sound, Broadcast Engineering, db, and more.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast