Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Culver City's Radio Station

Moderator/Co-Administrator
    Quote Originally Posted by DrAkbar View Post
    Wonder if they're going to install a cistern up there like the old KBLA 15~Hundred site in the Verdugo Hills? Nothing like moist soil to boost that ground wave when your sticks are on a hill!
    Engineers can argue that one for hours. After a period of paying trucks to carry water to a hilltop site I had in Ecuador, I put a meter in my car across the AGC circuit in the car radio to check signal strength "on the cheap". Whether I watered the tower base or not, nothing changed. The determining factor was the ground conductivity of the area, not the surface moisture. And since we had no seasons, there was no way to see if temperature was a factor.; it could go down to freezing at night and up to the high 70s in the daytime, every day!
    www.americanradiohistory.com
    Broadcasting Magazine and Yearbooks, Billboard, Cash Box, R&R, Record World, Music & Media, Audio, Television/Radio Age, R&R, Duncan's American Radio, Popular Electronics, Studio Sound, Broadcast Engineering, db, and more.

Will 15~Hundred ever return to the air? The partnership who has the CP for KWIF Culver City was going to tri-plex on KWKW's sticks, but lost out to KABC. Now they want to put up two new sticks and use the existing stick at Montecito Heights (the former 11~Fifty site). The latest application calls for 400 watts day and 1kw at night. Since the frequency went silent in 1984, numerous battles have kept the station off the air. KSPA 15~Ten in Ontario has fought vigorously due to first channel interference issues. And then there was the infamous Ed Stolz. A lot of time and money have been spent trying to get 15~Hundred back on the air. But when you see the coverage map, you'll probably ask "why"?!

https://licensing.fcc.gov/cgi-bin/ws...fac_num=161348
    Ed Stoltz he's best known for suing Entercom over its Sacramento area cluster prior to Entercom having the former CBS Radio stations. I didn't realize he's viewed as a patent troll in the radio industry via license disputes in other places too besides Sacramento though.

Quote Originally Posted by RadioPatrol View Post
    Ed Stoltz he's best known for suing Entercom over its Sacramento area cluster prior to Entercom having the former CBS Radio stations. I didn't realize he's viewed as a patent troll in the radio industry via license disputes in other places too besides Sacramento though.
    Ed marches to the beat of his own drum, and seemingly delights in jamming things up for years. Entercom nipped the "Hold Your Wee" brouhaha by wisely surrendering the license, which sent a loud message to the commission that they were responsible owners and worthy of the CBS deal. Stolz was left in the dust on the objection.

As far as 15~Hundred, Ed never got around to building out the station when he received the CP decades ago. I dunno why he didn't move on it, but putting a station on the air at that frequency in el Lay poses many challenges. Perhaps the biggest is finding a large enough shoe horn to squeeze it in somewhere!
    Dr. Akbar 'n Nurse Jeff
    The Middle Eastern Men of the Media
    Buckeye, AZ

Now in our 19th year of posting totally irrelevant comments. Someone had to do it!

Ed marches to the beat of his own drum, and seemingly delights in jamming things up for years. Entercom nipped the "Hold Your Wee" brouhaha by wisely surrendering the license, which sent a loud message to the commission that they were responsible owners and worthy of the CBS deal. Stolz was left in the dust on the objection.

As far as 15~Hundred, Ed never got around to building out the station when he received the CP decades ago. I dunno why he didn't move on it, but putting a station on the air at that frequency in el Lay poses many challenges. Perhaps the biggest is finding a large enough shoe horn to squeeze it in somewhere!

Ed Stolz was at one point in talks to get a station in the Sacramento area like the former KDND Sacramento but Entercom turned over KDND to the FCC and divest other stations in Sacramento and San Francisco most notably due to the CBS Radio deal back in 2017.

But Entercom had changed management over the years since that 2006-2007 incident where a contestant died in the Sacramento area over a stunt gone bad though.

The story that I've heard, from a couple of decades ago, was that Ed was in an on-going dispute with someone who owned the land for the tower site, which prevented 1500 from returning the air.

Quote Originally Posted by EasyBakeOven View Post
    The story that I've heard, from a couple of decades ago, was that Ed was in an on-going dispute with someone who owned the land for the tower site, which prevented 1500 from returning the air.
    If you are referring to the Tujunga Canyon site, the issue was NIMBY and zoning.
    Broadcasting Magazine and Yearbooks, Billboard, Cash Box, R&R, Record World, Music & Media, Audio, Television/Radio Age, R&R, Duncan's American Radio, Popular Electronics, Studio Sound, Broadcast Engineering, db, and more.

Quote Originally Posted by DavidEduardo View Post

If you are referring to the Tujunga Canyon site, the issue was NIMBY and zoning.
    NIMBY, zoning, soaring land values, first, second and third channel adjacent issues, plus the cost of putting a new station (marginal signal) on the air. The owners will be spending more building it at the Montecito Heights site than the diplex arrangement with KWKW.
    Dr. Akbar 'n Nurse Jeff
    Buckeye, AZ

Now in our 19th year of posting totally irrelevant comments. Someone had to do it!

NIMBY, zoning, soaring land values, first, second and third channel adjacent issues, plus the cost of putting a new station (marginal signal) on the air. The owners will be spending more building it at the Montecito Heights site than the diplex arrangement with KWKW.
    The Tujunga Canyon location was in the middle of a relatively eclectic "urban refugee" community, much like the Old Topanga area that separates The Valley from PCH. The residents were more likely to have favored something in their lifestyle, like a Birkenstock Outlet Store.

The site, were it permitted to build, would have worked for the FCC. It protected Ontario, Santa Ana and Banning, and was actually fairly close to the old Verdugo mountaintop site ("close" in the LA sense of distance, not in the Quartzite sense of the word).

And another bump in the road, this time from KVNR 14~Eighty Santa Ana for nighttime interference: https://licensing.fcc.gov/cdbs/CDBS_...um=1&exhcnum=1
    Dr. Akbar 'n Nurse Jeff
    Buckeye, AZ

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12