Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: ESPN radio nyc

Quote Originally Posted by Joylovepulse967 View Post
    In the N.Y. market, the company owns ESPN Deportes Radio 1050 AM, which will switch to an English-language sports channel.
    In New York, WEPN-1050 is the Spanish-language home of the New York Mets, which will still have about a month's worth of games to play after ESPN Deportes shuts down. Wonder if those games will still be carried in Spanish on WEPN after it switches to English-language programming.

Quote Originally Posted by Joylovepulse967 View Post
    This is radiolink

On Tuesday ESPN announced it is shutting down its ESPN Deportes radio business on Sept. 8, and 10 full-time and 25 part-time employees will be let go. ESPN will close Deportes Radio’s Coral Gables, Fla., offices; some of its N.Y.-based sales employees also will be affected.

ESPN issued the following statement: “Hispanic audience consumer habits are changing rapidly and this requires ESPN to evolve as well. It’s no secret Hispanic fans skew heavily on digital and social which is why we made the decision to discontinue ESPN Deportes terrestrial radio in September.”

The move to close down ESPN Deportes Radio will not affect the rest of ESPN Deportes’ businesses, including its TV and digital operations. ESPN Deportes has 44 radio affiliates in the U.S. In the N.Y. market, the company owns ESPN Deportes Radio 1050 AM, which will switch to an English-language sports channel.

Do you think 98.7 espn change will format or kiss fm back soon?

So if any national shows are on this station, they will be losing their affliate, but really who knows what if any station will take over this spot. In fact your guess is as good as mine, if not better then mine.

Quote Originally Posted by AceBiscuits View Post
    Probably not. I could see them reverting back to a simulcast or partial-simulcast. 1050 would clear more of the ESPN Radio programming and possibly air conflicts.
    I think they might go all national. It would give them an opportunity to clear shows like LeBatard and Will Cain in the NYC market. Also, they could toy with the idea of a local morning show on 98.7 and bump Golic and Wingo to AM.

Quote Originally Posted by mets18 View Post
    I think they might go all national. It would give them an opportunity to clear shows like LeBatard and Will Cain in the NYC market. Also, they could toy with the idea of a local morning show on 98.7 and bump Golic and Wingo to AM.
    They really should simulcast 100% and use the AM for game conflicts. Why add another competitor when you're trying to beat WFAN?

They could LMA it to some Russian/Korean/Christian broadcaster. Takes a potential competitor out of the mix.

Quote Originally Posted by AMRocks View Post
    They really should simulcast 100% and use the AM for game conflicts. Why add another competitor when you're trying to beat WFAN?

They could LMA it to some Russian/Korean/Christian broadcaster. Takes a potential competitor out of the mix.
    If they use the AM for game conflicts it doesn't count as a simulcast for ratings purposes so they would be adding another competitor on a pure numbers basis. They are never going to beat WFAN.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12