• Get involved.
    We want your input!
    Apply for Membership and join the conversations about everything related to broadcasting.

After we receive your registration, a moderator will review it. After your registration is approved, you will be permitted to post.
    If you use a disposable or false email address, your registration will be rejected.

After your membership is approved, please take a minute to tell us a little bit about yourself.
    https://www.radiodiscussions.com/forums/introduce-yourself.1088/

Thanks in advance and have fun!
    RadioDiscussions Administrators

Ratings - Fish

Well, given the latest Atlanta ratings and WFSH with a 7.9 6+ in the market, maybe it's not a bad thing that EMF is putting K-Love on. Then again, K-Love is non-commercial, so ratings kinda don't matter.

Question - I've been out of the market now for a while. Is Fish non-commercial too? Or do they actually air spots like a "regular" radio station?

BTW, amazing how WSB has slipped. I don't really blame the station. I think people are getting tired of the politics.

Well, given the latest Atlanta ratings and WFSH with a 7.9 6+ in the market, maybe it's not a bad thing that EMF is putting K-Love on. Then again, K-Love is non-commercial, so ratings kinda don't matter.

Question - I've been out of the market now for a while. Is Fish non-commercial too? Or do they actually air spots like a "regular" radio station?

BTW, amazing how WSB has slipped. I don't really blame the station. I think people are getting tired of the politics.

Fish is commercial.

WSB hasn't fallen that much. Does news-talk fall off as the weather gets warmer and people start taking vacations?

On that subject, it will be interesting to see how Fish does next book when school is out. Fish has more seasonality than any other station in the market, except maybe the sportstalkers (which pop in the fall). Fish does great during the holidays, and swoons during the summer, with "normal" performance during the rest of the school year.

Well, it might not matter to EMF, but any loss of audience to K-Love will definitely matter to The Fish.

I too am a little surprised by The Fish's ratings.

Why do the ratings still show the Fish as “AC?”

Each site that publishes Nielsen public data puts its own labels on each station's formats. Nielsen does not feed format names to the sites that offer the ratings data.

WFSH self-describes to Nielsen as "Adult Contemporary" as does KLTY in Dallas. The EMF stations self describe to Nielsen as "Contemporary Christian".

WFSH is, in fact, AC. It is Christian AC, which is simply a specific kind of AC.

The data stations submit to Nielsen are used in the subscriber reports that stations and agencies get. But the websites are on their own as to description, which is why sometimes they are wrong or inaccurate. Nielsen has a list of acceptable format names a station must select the closest match from, while websites can give any name they want to a format.

WSB hasn't fallen that much. Does news-talk fall off as the weather gets warmer and people start taking vacations?

A lot of news-talk stations typically increase in the summer, because they get a boost from baseball season. According to talkers, KMOX and WTMj were the biggest beneficiaries for this season. KMOX probably also got a benefit from being the flagship of the St. Louis Blues, who are about to play in game 7 for Lord Stanley's Cup.

Stations without baseball tend to be fairly seasonally stable, or perhaps tick up a bit near elections and other news-ish events.

WABE is down more than WSB over the last few months.

A lot of news-talk stations typically increase in the summer, because they get a boost from baseball season. According to talkers, KMOX and WTMj were the biggest beneficiaries for this season. KMOX probably also got a benefit from being the flagship of the St. Louis Blues, who are about to play in game 7 for Lord Stanley's Cup.

Stations without baseball tend to be fairly seasonally stable, or perhaps tick up a bit near elections and other news-ish events.

WABE is down more than WSB over the last few months.

The only sports that WSB has is UGA football and basketball. They probably get a pop in the fall because of that (also in election years), but they don't have any sports the rest of the year.

The two sportstalkers do get a pop in the fall--WZGC has the Falcons and the Hawks, and WCNN has Georgia Tech football and basketball, plus football talk. WCNN has the Braves, but also an otherwise-unaffilated FM station sharing the Braves. WCNN has a terrible night signal to the north and the translator is meh. I'd guess most of the Braves listeners listen on Rock100.5.

Here is an easy link to the June 10th ratings release:

https://ratings.radio-online.com/cgi-bin/rol.exe/arb047

It will be interesting to see how much K-Love takes away from the Fish.

If Cumulus is really shopping it’s big market clusters (Atlanta) they might want to do something about WKHX 101.5 which now is almost a point and a half behind the Bull (6+) and Q99.7 is over a half a point behind Power 96.1 too.

I have to give the Dickey Brothers credit, they have not rolled over and played dead. IMHO The Fan is doing quite well against The Game considering 92.9’s signal advantage over 93.7 and 680. I agree with Jabba: I doubt the Braves are that big of a factor considering they are on 100.5 too. IIRC Rodney last month said the Fan is beating The Game in AM drive. I wonder if there are some folks listening to 680 AM in the far northern end of the market that can’t get 93.7 because of the 93.7 translator in Ellijay. That could explain winter ratings drop because of 680 being severely directional early winter evenings and mornings. I have wondered why 680 never modified they directional patterns after Silva NC went to 540 from 680 for some additional coverage North and Northeast.

I thought the 680 in Raleigh was the factor at night.

The only sports that WSB has is UGA football and basketball. They probably get a pop in the fall because of that (also in election years), but they don't have any sports the rest of the year.

The two sportstalkers do get a pop in the fall--WZGC has the Falcons and the Hawks, and WCNN has Georgia Tech football and basketball, plus football talk. WCNN has the Braves, but also an otherwise-unaffilated FM station sharing the Braves. WCNN has a terrible night signal to the north and the translator is meh. I'd guess most of the Braves listeners listen on Rock100.5.

It's interesting that WCNN/680 is the flagship station for the Braves, but you can't pick them up at the ballpark (on AM) at night. For that matter, 680AM can't be picked up at night at their studios in the Battery.

I have heard it override 680 WCNN before here in the metro despite what that map shows. Also very few listeners to Talk 106.7 will transition to KLOVE and also I have not heard any marketing of K love in the market outside of message boards and radio industry sites. I know the AJC reported the change and some non radio enthusiasts read about it but then again how many people read the paper in 2019. So the fish is probably not going to take a major hit until people hear more about it but if you are happy with the Fish you may not want to switch anyway. They are doing something right after almost 20 years and the ratings continue to grow. It will be interesting to see how much of an impact K love will make in Atlanta but im sure it will be enough to make EMF happy for their investment. I will be more excited when RDS starts working and the HD signal starts up because just looking at 106.7 on my radio is boring while the Fish and the joy fm got RDS and HD now and I finally got a Christian hits and hip channel on my radio on 93.3 HD 3.
Klove will put Air one on HD2 and K love classics on HD3 by the end of the year.

According to the FCC AM query function There are no stations on 680 in AL SC LA or MS. There is a class D in St. Petersburg FL WGES. Being class D they are not protected at night. As Jabba pointed out, there are Class Bs in Memphis WMFS and WPTF Raleigh. I don’t know if the ratings drop in winter is really 680’s directional coverage issues in the northern suburbs or the Superbowl / NFL playoffs winding down on 92.9.

Twenty years ago there might have been an opportunity to find some wetlands and build an nighttime array 20 or 30 miles north of the present site and possibly done 50 or 25 KW at night. Of course Silva was on 680 at class B status then and I doubt that would have happen without a legal fight.

For the sake of argument: if there are enough folks using WCNN’s 680 AM signal that it make economic sense to improve the nighttime signal, without building a new site, they could duplex and existing antenna site*. There are directional antenna farms in Gainesville (WDUN) and Canton (WCHK) and really pushing the issue, the two Rome sites WRGA and WLAQ. All are only 3 towers I don’t know they are aligned correctly or enough of them for 25 or 50 KW at night service and the required protection for Memphis, Raleigh and possibly San Antonio’s KKYX?. 50 KW in a lode of and directional away at night can go really far.

I don’t know if there are coverage requirements for night time service for a city of license that doesn’t exist but at least 2.0 mV/m or better in Fulton, Dekalb, Gwinnett, and Cobb should be a goal for such a site. They don’t have much of a signal in Gwinnett at night now.

*There might be other workable sites but these are the only ones I could think of the morning.

Someone commented on Rodney Ho's Facebook page regarding the recent ratings, and was speculating on what could occur in Atlanta. One of his suggestions was that Cumulus could sell 100.5 to Dickey for a more powerful FM signal compared to 93.7. The post also mentioned possibilities for EMF and Salem gaining another FM in Atlanta on 100.5. With Cumulus and now Urban One divesting stations, I suppose anything is possible these days that may have seemed unfathomable a few years ago.

According to the FCC AM query function There are no stations on 680 in AL SC LA or MS. There is a class D in St. Petersburg FL WGES. Being class D they are not protected at night. As Jabba pointed out, there are Class Bs in Memphis WMFS and WPTF Raleigh. I don’t know if the ratings drop in winter is really 680’s directional coverage issues in the northern suburbs or the Superbowl / NFL playoffs winding down on 92.9.

Twenty years ago there might have been an opportunity to find some wetlands and build an nighttime array 20 or 30 miles north of the present site and possibly done 50 or 25 KW at night. Of course Silva was on 680 at class B status then and I doubt that would have happen without a legal fight.

For the sake of argument: if there are enough folks using WCNN’s 680 AM signal that it make economic sense to improve the nighttime signal, without building a new site, they could duplex and existing antenna site*. There are directional antenna farms in Gainesville (WDUN) and Canton (WCHK) and really pushing the issue, the two Rome sites WRGA and WLAQ. All are only 3 towers I don’t know they are aligned correctly or enough of them for 25 or 50 KW at night service and the required protection for Memphis, Raleigh and possibly San Antonio’s KKYX?. 50 KW in a lode of and directional away at night can go really far.

I don’t know if there are coverage requirements for night time service for a city of license that doesn’t exist but at least 2.0 mV/m or better in Fulton, Dekalb, Gwinnett, and Cobb should be a goal for such a site. They don’t have much of a signal in Gwinnett at night now.

*There might be other workable sites but these are the only ones I could think of the morning.

FWIW it takes all 8 antennas to produce WCNN's night pattern. I suppose you could use a 3-tower array as far north as Gainesville or Canton and blast all of your power southward.

FWIW it takes all 8 antennas to produce WCNN's night pattern. I suppose you could use a 3-tower array as far north as Gainesville or Canton and blast all of your power southward.

They also protect WAPA, the only higher power non-directional station on 680 in the Eastern USA.

So no signal to the southeast, either.

Someone commented on Rodney Ho's Facebook page regarding the recent ratings, and was speculating on what could occur in Atlanta. One of his suggestions was that Cumulus could sell 100.5 to Dickey for a more powerful FM signal compared to 93.7. The post also mentioned possibilities for EMF and Salem gaining another FM in Atlanta on 100.5. With Cumulus and now Urban One divesting stations, I suppose anything is possible these days that may have seemed unfathomable a few years ago.

Urban one is only divesting in markets where either they have non-core assets or do not have a viable cluster.

Urban One has the # 6, #8 and #14 billers in the market. 102.5 is the lower biller, and that is mostly due to being a Class A.

They are not likely to sell either of the two stations that are in the top 10 in revenue.

WCNN blasts in at my place (near spaghetti junction). Their transmitter is at Spalding and Winters Chapel Rd in, what I think, is Peachtree Corners.

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.
Back
Top Bottom