Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Ratings - Fish

Ratings - Fish

Well, given the latest Atlanta ratings and WFSH with a 7.9 6+ in the market, maybe it's not a bad thing that EMF is putting K-Love on. Then again, K-Love is non-commercial, so ratings kinda don't matter.

Question - I've been out of the market now for a while. Is Fish non-commercial too? Or do they actually air spots like a "regular" radio station?

BTW, amazing how WSB has slipped. I don't really blame the station. I think people are getting tired of the politics.

Quote Originally Posted by AMRocks View Post
    Well, given the latest Atlanta ratings and WFSH with a 7.9 6+ in the market, maybe it's not a bad thing that EMF is putting K-Love on. Then again, K-Love is non-commercial, so ratings kinda don't matter.

Question - I've been out of the market now for a while. Is Fish non-commercial too? Or do they actually air spots like a "regular" radio station?

BTW, amazing how WSB has slipped. I don't really blame the station. I think people are getting tired of the politics.
    Fish is commercial.

WSB hasn't fallen that much. Does news-talk fall off as the weather gets warmer and people start taking vacations?

On that subject, it will be interesting to see how Fish does next book when school is out. Fish has more seasonality than any other station in the market, except maybe the sportstalkers (which pop in the fall). Fish does great during the holidays, and swoons during the summer, with "normal" performance during the rest of the school year.
    "When broadcasting over the radio, there are certain words we must omit.
    Like 'BEEP' and 'BUZZ' and 'GOBBLE-GOBBLE', by gosh we can't even say shhhhhaving cream!"

Quote Originally Posted by AMRocks View Post
    Well, it might not matter to EMF, but any loss of audience to K-Love will definitely matter to The Fish.

I too am a little surprised by The Fish's ratings.

Why do the ratings still show the Fish as “AC?”

Moderator/Co-Administrator
    Quote Originally Posted by RadioDoogie View Post
    Why do the ratings still show the Fish as “AC?”
    Each site that publishes Nielsen public data puts its own labels on each station's formats. Nielsen does not feed format names to the sites that offer the ratings data.

WFSH self-describes to Nielsen as "Adult Contemporary" as does KLTY in Dallas. The EMF stations self describe to Nielsen as "Contemporary Christian".

WFSH is, in fact, AC. It is Christian AC, which is simply a specific kind of AC.

The data stations submit to Nielsen are used in the subscriber reports that stations and agencies get. But the websites are on their own as to description, which is why sometimes they are wrong or inaccurate. Nielsen has a list of acceptable format names a station must select the closest match from, while websites can give any name they want to a format.
    www.americanradiohistory.com
    Broadcasting Magazine and Yearbooks, Billboard, Cash Box, R&R, Record World, Music & Media, Audio, Television/Radio Age, R&R, Duncan's American Radio, Popular Electronics, Studio Sound, Broadcast Engineering, db, and more.

Quote Originally Posted by jabba17 View Post
    WSB hasn't fallen that much. Does news-talk fall off as the weather gets warmer and people start taking vacations?
    A lot of news-talk stations typically increase in the summer, because they get a boost from baseball season. According to talkers, KMOX and WTMj were the biggest beneficiaries for this season. KMOX probably also got a benefit from being the flagship of the St. Louis Blues, who are about to play in game 7 for Lord Stanley's Cup.

Stations without baseball tend to be fairly seasonally stable, or perhaps tick up a bit near elections and other news-ish events.

WABE is down more than WSB over the last few months.
    "Its music what makes a radio station, and at Live FM, we play the last music around."
    After receiving that copy, I quit the VO industry.

Quote Originally Posted by PTBoardOp94 View Post
    A lot of news-talk stations typically increase in the summer, because they get a boost from baseball season. According to talkers, KMOX and WTMj were the biggest beneficiaries for this season. KMOX probably also got a benefit from being the flagship of the St. Louis Blues, who are about to play in game 7 for Lord Stanley's Cup.

Stations without baseball tend to be fairly seasonally stable, or perhaps tick up a bit near elections and other news-ish events.

WABE is down more than WSB over the last few months.
    The only sports that WSB has is UGA football and basketball. They probably get a pop in the fall because of that (also in election years), but they don't have any sports the rest of the year.

The two sportstalkers do get a pop in the fall--WZGC has the Falcons and the Hawks, and WCNN has Georgia Tech football and basketball, plus football talk. WCNN has the Braves, but also an otherwise-unaffilated FM station sharing the Braves. WCNN has a terrible night signal to the north and the translator is meh. I'd guess most of the Braves listeners listen on Rock100.5.
    "When broadcasting over the radio, there are certain words we must omit.
    Like 'BEEP' and 'BUZZ' and 'GOBBLE-GOBBLE', by gosh we can't even say shhhhhaving cream!"

Here is an easy link to the June 10th ratings release:

https://ratings.radio-online.com/cgi-bin/rol.exe/arb047

It will be interesting to see how much K-Love takes away from the Fish.

If Cumulus is really shopping it’s big market clusters (Atlanta) they might want to do something about WKHX 101.5 which now is almost a point and a half behind the Bull (6+) and Q99.7 is over a half a point behind Power 96.1 too.

I have to give the Dickey Brothers credit, they have not rolled over and played dead. IMHO The Fan is doing quite well against The Game considering 92.9’s signal advantage over 93.7 and 680. I agree with Jabba: I doubt the Braves are that big of a factor considering they are on 100.5 too. IIRC Rodney last month said the Fan is beating The Game in AM drive. I wonder if there are some folks listening to 680 AM in the far northern end of the market that can’t get 93.7 because of the 93.7 translator in Ellijay. That could explain winter ratings drop because of 680 being severely directional early winter evenings and mornings. I have wondered why 680 never modified they directional patterns after Silva NC went to 540 from 680 for some additional coverage North and Northeast.

I thought the 680 in Raleigh was the factor at night.

Quote Originally Posted by Rick Rose 2.0 View Post
    I thought the 680 in Raleigh was the factor at night.
    WPTF.jpg

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast