Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: May Ratings NYC

Moderator/Co-Administrator
    Quote Originally Posted by Tibbs4 View Post
    Hey David/BigA = maybe you can explain the true success of CBS-FM in the proper demos vs. what we call discuss on the 12+? It brings up some interesting conversation on here. How much longer will the current weekday line-up be around? I know (Broadway) Bill is 67-68 and has talked of retiring. Joe Causi can't be far behind. Dan Taylor has had a few issues this year, but seems to have weathered quite well. Shannon may well be there a while. I would think Dave Stewart would stick around another decade, at least.
    Johnny Carson was way out of his target demo when he was still getting huge numbers. He appealed to prime TV viewers.

Same for Alex Trebek and many hosts on game and talk shows.

As long as they are relevant and have guests and topics that appeal to the advertiser friendly demos, they will stay.

You mention retiring: that is the one variable that stations can't plan too well for. If one of the big names wants to hang up his gun belt, they simply have to look for someone else who appeals to the target audience.
    www.americanradiohistory.com
    Broadcasting Magazine and Yearbooks, Billboard, Cash Box, R&R, Record World, Music & Media, Audio, Television/Radio Age, R&R, Duncan's American Radio, Popular Electronics, Studio Sound, Broadcast Engineering, db, and more.

Quote Originally Posted by TheBigA View Post
    So WPLJ got a pleasant send-off with a 3.1 share in their final month. OTOH Co-owned WABC dropped to a 1 share.
    WABC, who?

Z100 kickin butt in all the demos.

#1 18-49
    #1 18-34
    #2 25-54

Quote Originally Posted by andreajesus View Post
    firstly, that's the BIGGEST surprise of the May books - next to 'PLJs number showing an uptick ("nostalgia factor"); secondly, with CBSFM at a 5.4 (WAY BEHIND 'BLS/Lite), my thought is that they need to do something kinda big to get the WOW factor back on their side (ummm....i got a couple of ideas on that one? )
    (the question with CBSFM is - what can they do? They're not gonna get rid of Shannon in the Morning - they gotta either do something with the schedule or do something that's gonna shock the heck out of everybody - bringing back the Doowopp Shop even once a week is one idea)
    Relative to other stations, CBS-FM is doing just fine. The oldies format died in 2005, and it's not coming back. The current formula works and I don't see a reason to change it.

Quote Originally Posted by AceBiscuits View Post
    Relative to other stations, CBS-FM is doing just fine. The oldies format died in 2005, and it's not coming back. The current formula works and I don't see a reason to change it.
    At least not until all the fans of '80s music are no longer on the persuadable side of 55. Then it will be time to put Cyndi Lauper and Huey Lewis out to pasture and replace them with Christina Aguilera and Maroon 5.

Quote Originally Posted by AceBiscuits View Post
    yeah, but....i don't remember CBSFM ever being at a 5.4 (well, maybe pre-1984 days) - and I can almost guarantee that somebody - whether it be an Entercom somebody or PD Jim Ryan - is looking at those numbers and asking "what is it gonna take for CBSFM to be #1 again? We were #1 once before...."

I am sure this will get stated several times and several ways. The ratings numbers that you are referencing, don't matter. The important this to note are the numbers in the key demographics and CBS-FM is doing just fine and there is no reason to suspect any changes other than a potential retirement or two in the next four or five years. Maybe someone can post more particular info.

Oh yeah...the oldies version of CBS-FM had a demo issue. That’s why the change to Jack was necessary. It could have been done more elegantly, but it was necessary nevertheless.

Quote Originally Posted by CTListener View Post
    At least not until all the fans of '80s music are no longer on the persuadable side of 55. Then it will be time to put Cyndi Lauper and Huey Lewis out to pasture and replace them with Christina Aguilera and Maroon 5.
    A neighbor of mine who’s in his 90s replaced his Bentley with a Lexus. Not persuadable?

Moderator/Co-Administrator
    Quote Originally Posted by Lee Linwood View Post
    A neighbor of mine who’s in his 90s replaced his Bentley with a Lexus. Not persuadable?
    There are exceptions to every behavioral norm. There are teens who listen to WQXR. There are Dominicans who listen to WNSH.

But advertisers have considerable data on the cost of making a sale, and it generally shows that it is not economical to try to convince older consumers to use most mass-market goods and services.

They get that data from research, not from anecdotal experiences that can't be replicated or projected into the universe.
    www.americanradiohistory.com
    Broadcasting Magazine and Yearbooks, Billboard, Cash Box, R&R, Record World, Music & Media, Audio, Television/Radio Age, R&R, Duncan's American Radio, Popular Electronics, Studio Sound, Broadcast Engineering, db, and more.

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast