• Get involved.
    We want your input!
    Apply for Membership and join the conversations about everything related to broadcasting.

After we receive your registration, a moderator will review it. After your registration is approved, you will be permitted to post.
    If you use a disposable or false email address, your registration will be rejected.

After your membership is approved, please take a minute to tell us a little bit about yourself.
    https://www.radiodiscussions.com/forums/introduce-yourself.1088/

Thanks in advance and have fun!
    RadioDiscussions Administrators

May Ratings NYC

Hey David/BigA = maybe you can explain the true success of CBS-FM in the proper demos vs. what we call discuss on the 12+? It brings up some interesting conversation on here. How much longer will the current weekday line-up be around? I know (Broadway) Bill is 67-68 and has talked of retiring. Joe Causi can't be far behind. Dan Taylor has had a few issues this year, but seems to have weathered quite well. Shannon may well be there a while. I would think Dave Stewart would stick around another decade, at least.

Johnny Carson was way out of his target demo when he was still getting huge numbers. He appealed to prime TV viewers.

Same for Alex Trebek and many hosts on game and talk shows.

As long as they are relevant and have guests and topics that appeal to the advertiser friendly demos, they will stay.

You mention retiring: that is the one variable that stations can't plan too well for. If one of the big names wants to hang up his gun belt, they simply have to look for someone else who appeals to the target audience.

firstly, that's the BIGGEST surprise of the May books - next to 'PLJs number showing an uptick ("nostalgia factor"); secondly, with CBSFM at a 5.4 (WAY BEHIND 'BLS/Lite), my thought is that they need to do something kinda big to get the WOW factor back on their side (ummm....i got a couple of ideas on that one? :D )
(the question with CBSFM is - what can they do? They're not gonna get rid of Shannon in the Morning - they gotta either do something with the schedule or do something that's gonna shock the heck out of everybody - bringing back the Doowopp Shop even once a week is one idea)

Relative to other stations, CBS-FM is doing just fine. The oldies format died in 2005, and it's not coming back. The current formula works and I don't see a reason to change it.

Relative to other stations, CBS-FM is doing just fine. The oldies format died in 2005, and it's not coming back. The current formula works and I don't see a reason to change it.

At least not until all the fans of '80s music are no longer on the persuadable side of 55. Then it will be time to put Cyndi Lauper and Huey Lewis out to pasture and replace them with Christina Aguilera and Maroon 5.

yeah, but....i don't remember CBSFM ever being at a 5.4 (well, maybe pre-1984 days) - and I can almost guarantee that somebody - whether it be an Entercom somebody or PD Jim Ryan - is looking at those numbers and asking "what is it gonna take for CBSFM to be #1 again? We were #1 once before...."

I am sure this will get stated several times and several ways. The ratings numbers that you are referencing, don't matter. The important this to note are the numbers in the key demographics and CBS-FM is doing just fine and there is no reason to suspect any changes other than a potential retirement or two in the next four or five years. Maybe someone can post more particular info.

Oh yeah...the oldies version of CBS-FM had a demo issue. That’s why the change to Jack was necessary. It could have been done more elegantly, but it was necessary nevertheless.

At least not until all the fans of '80s music are no longer on the persuadable side of 55. Then it will be time to put Cyndi Lauper and Huey Lewis out to pasture and replace them with Christina Aguilera and Maroon 5.

A neighbor of mine who’s in his 90s replaced his Bentley with a Lexus. Not persuadable?

A neighbor of mine who’s in his 90s replaced his Bentley with a Lexus. Not persuadable?

There are exceptions to every behavioral norm. There are teens who listen to WQXR. There are Dominicans who listen to WNSH.

But advertisers have considerable data on the cost of making a sale, and it generally shows that it is not economical to try to convince older consumers to use most mass-market goods and services.

They get that data from research, not from anecdotal experiences that can't be replicated or projected into the universe.

There are exceptions to every behavioral norm. There are teens who listen to WQXR. There are Dominicans who listen to WNSH.

But advertisers have considerable data on the cost of making a sale, and it generally shows that it is not economical to try to convince older consumers to use most mass-market goods and services.

They get that data from research, not from anecdotal experiences that can't be replicated or projected into the universe.

Lee must be trying to wind us up. No one who isn't kidding could possibly trot out a nonagenarian Bentley owner as typical of ANYTHING. First, most people over 90 no longer drive. Second, Bentley owners of any age are usually in a rarefied demographic that doesn't exercise the normal restraints on its discretionary spending.

And even if this neighbor had, somehow, been persuaded to dump his Bentley for a Lexus by a Lexus ad, chances are the ad was on TV, not radio, and was on a program that attracts upscale, older viewers, such as a golf tournament. Wouldn't a normal obscenely wealthy codger want to SEE the Lexus and compare it to that classic Bentley in his driveway before making that bizarre impulse buy?

Older consumers are Lexus’s primary customers. You’re in the Dark Ages.

Older consumers are Lexus’s primary customers. You’re in the Dark Ages.

But the older consumers are not persuaded by radio advertising.

The point is that conventional electronic media ads are not effective or cost efficient in changing older consumer habits.

You are arguing that older people... at least some of them... spend a lot of money.

Different subjects. Older people with money to buy a Lexus generally got that money by having a good savings and investment strategy. They are informed consumers, too. They read Consumer Reports, research high-ticket purchases, compare warranties, and generally are cautious and logical about such decisions rather than impulsive and emotional.

Anecdotally, I've been thinking about our own next cars for about 9 months now. And in no rush to make a decision. Advertising won't likely have anything to do with the final decision.

yeah, but....i don't remember CBSFM ever being at a 5.4 (well, maybe pre-1984 days) - and I can almost guarantee that somebody - whether it be an Entercom somebody or PD Jim Ryan - is looking at those numbers and asking "what is it gonna take for CBSFM to be #1 again? We were #1 once before...."

They need to get rid of the imaging. It does not match the music but rather the oldies format. If they are going to play 80's and 90's music then the imaging and DJ's should sound like from that period or from today and not that hackey CBS-FM oldies sound. I get ****** chills every time I hear it despite liking the music that is on the station. Keep the music format just get rid of the very dated imaging. Something like the Q, the old WNEW or PLJ.

They need to get rid of the imaging. It does not match the music but rather the oldies format. If they are going to play 80's and 90's music then the imaging and DJ's should sound like from that period or from today and not that hackey CBS-FM oldies sound. I get ****** chills every time I hear it despite liking the music that is on the station. Keep the music format just get rid of the very dated imaging. Something like the Q, the old WNEW or PLJ.

Mike - CBS did update their imaging about a year ago and jumped away from the old jingle package. Are you saying their more recent imaging is still off key? Also, what DJ's are you suggesting sound out of date? I hate to ask this question, not as to take you down, but more to understand, how old are you? There have been a lot of discussions over the years over this issue of imaging and how to win when you generally have a format that plays to people from 30-60 years of age (and more...)

Mike - CBS did update their imaging about a year ago and jumped away from the old jingle package. Are you saying their more recent imaging is still off key? Also, what DJ's are you suggesting sound out of date? I hate to ask this question, not as to take you down, but more to understand, how old are you? There have been a lot of discussions over the years over this issue of imaging and how to win when you generally have a format that plays to people from 30-60 years of age (and more...)

The JAM imaging was dropped in January 2017 if I recall correctly, and all jingles and imaging since have come from Reelworld; they even got a new package this past year. Mike has also posted this comment nearly verbatim in different threads, so something tells me he hasn't listened recently.

Truth of the matter is that most people do not care about what the DJ's sound like or whatever. People listen for the music, and the ratings show that it's doing just fine.

The JAM imaging was dropped in January 2017 if I recall correctly, and all jingles and imaging since have come from Reelworld; they even got a new package this past year. Mike has also posted this comment nearly verbatim in different threads, so something tells me he hasn't listened recently.

Truth of the matter is that most people do not care about what the DJ's sound like or whatever. People listen for the music, and the ratings show that it's doing just fine.

Hopefully Mike will step up and give us an update vs. using old, copied sentences saying the same old thing. :). I will say that if the three personalities on the air after Shannon should be some of the most easy on the ears in America. No reflection on Shannon, just that some people will never "justify" the morning talk game, so ...

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.
Back
Top Bottom