Page 1 of 8 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Holy cow, KROQ...

Holy cow, KROQ...

...A 1.9?!?! A 1.9?!?!

You've gotta be kidding me.

How long has it been since their ratings were this terrible?

Quote Originally Posted by MarkW View Post
    ...A 1.9?!?! A 1.9?!?!

2.5 years, KROQ had a 1.8 in Holiday 2016, and a 1.9 in December 2016.

Moderator/Co-Administrator
    Quote Originally Posted by MarkW View Post
    ...A 1.9?!?! A 1.9?!?!

And much of that low share is due to the morning show. Mornings have a third more listeners than middays, which is purely music based.

KYSR, which is 0.3 ahead of KROQ in 12+, has similar morning vs. midday audience flow. What it shows is a gradual weakening of the alternative music genre in LA.
    www.americanradiohistory.com
    Broadcasting Magazine and Yearbooks, Billboard, Cash Box, R&R, Record World, Music & Media, Audio, Television/Radio Age, R&R, Duncan's American Radio, Popular Electronics, Studio Sound, Broadcast Engineering, db, and more.

Quote Originally Posted by DavidEduardo View Post
    What it shows is a gradual weakening of the alternative music genre in LA.
    And I'm starting to wonder if this is strictly an LA thing. Because co-owned WNYL is just a tenth of a point higher. I suspect their strength is not in mornings.

We're really in a strange place musically right now.

Perhaps their ratings are also low because they are boring? KROQ used to be unique. Think of the Rick Carroll era with all the drop ins or early Kevin and Bean showing up at Rick Dees' house. Today they sound like any other corporate alternative station. I listened on Saturday late morning a few months ago. I heard songs (mostly old), promos, and long stop sets. I'm sure there was no live jock in the studio. The only difference between KROQ and AMP is the music. The formatics are very similar.

Quote Originally Posted by radio128 View Post
    Perhaps their ratings are also low because they are boring?
    No, they are low because LA is a more diverse, more hardwired-for-rhythmic market, mirroring the nation. Rock is fading away.

I heard they had trouble selling out their annual Weenie Roast event and were only able to do so after adding nu-metal legends Limp Bizkit (lol) and a DJ set from Snoop Dogg.

At this point, it seems like it's just a standoff between KROQ and KYSR to see who folds on the alternative format first. Whoever stands the longest will likely pick up the combined market share and billing of both stations. And I have a feeling that KYSR is trending above KROQ in this battle.

Quote Originally Posted by Huff View Post
    2.5 years, KROQ had a 1.8 in Holiday 2016, and a 1.9 in December 2016.
    I think KMET was at a 1.6 when they finally folded up the station. I remember the GM or some other executive saying in the paper he wasn't going to be a part of any station only doing a 1.6.

Kroq aint goin anywhere. Neither is alt 98.7. If kroq was going anywhere it be gone by now. It seems like the woody show on alt 98.7 has helped that station. Be interesting to see what happens when bean departs kroq.

At this point this ratings period shows people would rather listen to five finger death punch than the latest offering from tokio hotel at least for now.

Moderator/Co-Administrator
    Quote Originally Posted by radiojomo View Post
    I heard they had trouble selling out their annual Weenie Roast event and were only able to do so after adding nu-metal legends Limp Bizkit (lol) and a DJ set from Snoop Dogg.

At this point, it seems like it's just a standoff between KROQ and KYSR to see who folds on the alternative format first. Whoever stands the longest will likely pick up the combined market share and billing of both stations. And I have a feeling that KYSR is trending above KROQ in this battle.
    The problem is deeper than that.

Alternative is a highly fragmented music genre. It divides into subsets, each of which may dislike some of the music that other subset members love. So if one of the two stations flips format, it is not a given that the audience of the other station will grow proportionately.

The real issue is that this fragmentation means that no station can totally please all the partisan groups that like alt rock. When this happens, most go to on-demand services or other streaming options.
    www.americanradiohistory.com
    Broadcasting Magazine and Yearbooks, Billboard, Cash Box, R&R, Record World, Music & Media, Audio, Television/Radio Age, R&R, Duncan's American Radio, Popular Electronics, Studio Sound, Broadcast Engineering, db, and more.

Page 1 of 8 123 ... LastLast