Page 9 of 12 FirstFirst ... 7891011 ... LastLast

Thread: Holy cow, KROQ...

Moderator/Co-Administrator
    Quote Originally Posted by macattack View Post

I thought when you did a count KPNT had 30 to KYSR's 27, unless that's changed recently.
    It's not as much about the number of currents as it is about how often they rotate and, as a result, how many play each hour.
    www.americanradiohistory.com
    Broadcasting Magazine and Yearbooks, Billboard, Cash Box, R&R, Record World, Music & Media, Audio, Television/Radio Age, R&R, Duncan's American Radio, Popular Electronics, Studio Sound, Broadcast Engineering, db, and more.

Quote Originally Posted by DavidEduardo View Post
    That is not a "test". It is just a system for exposing new music to smaller segments of the audience first. Note that the steps start with time of the day or week when audience levels for radio are at their lowest.

What you describe is simply a stairstep rotational pattern that starts with one show, moves to dayparting and then, maybe gets on the full playlist. Lots of stations do this in one way or another.

But there is no "testing" going on as there is no formal measure of acceptance / rejection. They are just easing the songs into rotation. And I'll bet they look at on-demand statistics and Nielsen moment-by moment (if they buy that data) for guidance.
    ON THE MONEY here, David. EVEN on my favorite station KCSN/KSBR 88.8 FM. They do that on almost every new track or artist. Sometimes I will hear something that seems out of place on the station (maybe a little too hard rock, or too poppy, or too synthesized) and eventually that track is gone.

Quote Originally Posted by Saladressing View Post
    With regard to the on point posts in this thread about gold-based alternative 91X and active/alternative hybrid 105.7 The Point both being outliers in the incredibly staid format of alt which is now softer than soft ac, I'd like to add another to the pile, Alt 93.3/Minneapolis, the peashooter translator fed by HD that deviates very sharply from the soft safe sounds of iheart's other "Alt" stations. For that reason I wish they would have gone with the name they initially flirted with, 93.3 The Edge, as an homage to the once great 93.7 The Edge in the same market that generated some of the best ratings for any commercial alternative station during its time. 93.7 The Edge..a topic for another time.

Alt 93.3 is an alt/active hybrid. While it's far from what comm. alt. should be at this point in time had the format followed its original instincts of playing what's new, fresh and vibrant rather than what they've done by allowing themselves to be what they're told to be by the powers within the control grid, below is what Alt 93.3 has played in recent hours. Dandy Warhols, Sevendust, Gargbage, White Zombie, Taking Back Sunday, The Used.. pretty cool for an alt station years and years ago but today there really is no such thing as Alternative format. It's either Nostalgia or Soft Indie Folk.

So it's too bad there aren't any programmers with guts that would step outside the norm to play what the kids are actually listening to (trap metal and experimental hip hop among many other genres etc), but I get it, they simply aren't allowed to do so. Until then, this lumbering old-based rock-based playlist will have to do.

Crazily, this playlist looks flat out revolutionary compared to the softer than soft ac sounds of commercial alternative stations nationwide. Again, it's by design and I get it but that doesn't mean I don't get to comment on it. last one to leave turn the lightz out zzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzz

Alt 93.3 Minneapolis 6/16/17

So I am going to put an asterisk by the tracks I have heard on KCSN/KSBR 88.5 FM (AAA format) and see how much duplication there is.
    Alt 93.3 Minneapolis 6/16/17

*Little Black Submarines - The Black Keys
    Black - Sevendust
    One Step Closer - Linkin Park
    Genghis Khan - Miike Snow
    The Calling - The Killers
    *Yellow Ledbetter - Pearl Jam
    *Glory - Friday Pilots Club
    A Decade Under The Influence - Taking Back Sunday
    The Taste Of Ink - The Used
    S.O.S. (Sawed Off Shotgun) - The Glorious Sons
    BOOM - X Ambassadors
    *Lo/Hi - The Black Keys
    Intergalactic - Beastie Boys
    *Wish I Knew You - The Revivalists
    The Rascal King - The Mighty Mighty Bosstones
    TAKE MY FIRE - Switchfoot
    Knights of Cydonia - Muse
    Bled for Days - Static-X
    *Such Great Heights - The Postal Service
    *It Doesn't Matter Why - Silversun Pickups
    Vultures - Asking Alexandria
    Dangerous (feat. Joywave) - Big Data
    Muzzle - Smashing Pumpkins
    MANTRA - Bring Me the Horizon
    Low - The Driver Era
    Eddie Vedder - Local H
    Around the World - Red Hot Chili Peppers
    Jumpsuit - Twenty One Pilots
    Too Bad - Rival Sons
    Loner - YUNGBLUD
    *Santa Monica (Re-Recorded) - Everclear
    Santa Monica (Re-Recorded)
    *Tick Tick Boom - The Hives
    *Bohemian Like You - The Dandy Warhols
    Lover, Leaver - Greta Van Fleet
    *Saw Lightning - Beck
    Shots - Imagine Dragons
    Thunder Kiss '65 - White Zombie
    *Passion - AWOLNATION
    That's My Baby - Sleeper Agent
    *Short Skirt / Long Jacket - Cake
    Blood // Water - grandson
    In Degrees - Foals
    Gone Away - The Offspring
    Pretty Girl (The Way) - Sugarcult
    *Queer - Garbage
    Trainwreck 1979 - Death from Above 1979
    People's Champ - Arkells
    *Fell On Black Days - Soundgarden
    *Alligator - Of Monsters and Men
    Running Away - Hoobastank
    Megalomaniac - Incubus
    Ghost - Badflower
    *One Magic Moment - Bad Suns
    Choke - I DONT KNOW HOW BUT THEY FOUND ME
    Hash Pipe - Weezer
    Lash Out - Alice Merton
    *Inside Out - Eve 6
    Be My Fire - The Blue Stones
    *Ready To Let Go - Cage the Elephant

So about a 1/3

Wow, KROQ is currently tied overall with the classical public radio station owned by USC.

My belief is that the "alternative" format is killing itself with a misguided notion of what alternative rock actually is.
    Don't blame "alternative music", blame those at radio and the labels who think kiddie pop is what alternative listeners want to hear.

Quote Originally Posted by Froggy View Post
    Wow, KROQ is currently tied overall with the classical public radio station owned by USC.

My belief is that the "alternative" format is killing itself with a misguided notion of what alternative rock actually is.
    Don't blame "alternative music", blame those at radio and the labels who think kiddie pop is what alternative listeners want to hear.
    My belief is that rock is dying and has been since the '90s. Rhythmic is king, even among the white, suburban demos that used to be rock's happy hunting ground. Times change, tastes change. Some fads last longer than others. Except for the one that produced the music that the USC station plays, beginning six or seven centuries ago.

Quote Originally Posted by CTListener View Post
    My belief is that rock is dying and has been since the '90s. Rhythmic is king, even among the white, suburban demos that used to be rock's happy hunting ground. Times change, tastes change. Some fads last longer than others. Except for the one that produced the music that the USC station plays, beginning six or seven centuries ago.
    I don't think you can classify a genre of music with a half-century or more of popularity as a "fad." Was/Is jazz a "fad?" It's history is longer than rock and roll of course, but jazz hasn't enjoyed anything close to widespread popularity in decades. San Francisco has had only one (non-comm) jazz station since the mid 1990's (KCSM) and it is usually cutting back operations due to lack of pledge donations. Yet the SF Jazz concerts in San Francisco are very well attended. Perhaps mainstream rock will become more like jazz in that regard.

Quote Originally Posted by LKellerIII View Post
    Was/Is jazz a "fad?" It's history is longer than rock and roll of course, but jazz hasn't enjoyed anything close to widespread popularity in decades.
    Interesting comparison, because jazz reinvented itself a number of times during the last 100 years. It was very popular in the 30s, then it grew into its own pop music in the 40s, and then it reinvented with be-bop and the birth of the cool in the 50s, and then it reinvented again with Coltrane. There are commonalities among all the styles, but they also very different, and we can see that with rock. What radio does is group the styles around various audiences. The problem is the audience for the music appears to be in flux. So what was alternative 30 years ago may be something else now. It's easier to define it by what it was than by what it is.

Another alt station with a deeper playlist is 92.9 KRXF/Bend, OR. There is a AAA in the market, but no other alt or active rock station. It is apparently no longer subscribed to the ratings so it doesn't appear, but when it did it was consistently near the top of the list in a market of over 200,000.

6/2/19 9:01am:

New Slang
    The Shins

Gave You Everything
    The Interrupters

Savior
    Rise Against

Time Bomb
    Rancid

Blame It On My Youth
    blink-182

Wave of Mutilation
    Pixies

Mistaken for Strangers
    The National

Come As You Are
    Nirvana

3 Nights
    dominik fike

Connection
    Elastica

Heavy Cross
    Gossip

Maybe I'm Afraid
    Lovely The Band

Icky Thump
    The White Stripes

This Life
    Vampire Weekend

Black
    Pearl Jam

Blood // Water
    grandson

Zero
    Smashing Pumpkins

Poison the Well
    Modest Mouse

The Bad Touch
    Bloodhound Gang

Plush (Remastered)
    Stone Temple Pilots

Weight of Love
    The Black Keys

Blue Harvest
    Pinback

Head Like A Hole
    Nine Inch Nails

Last Resort
    Papa Roach

Hey Ladies
    Beastie Boys

Heat of the Summer
    Young the Giant

Darkness Into Light
    Matisyahu

Change
    The Revivalists

STINKFIST
    TOOL

Gone Away
    The Offspring

It Doesn't Matter Why
    Silversun Pickups

About A Girl
    Nirvana

By and Down (LIVE)
    A Perfect Circle

My Name Is Mud
    Primus

In Degrees
    Foals

Down Together
    Refreshments

No You Girls
    Franz Ferdinand

Born and Razed
    The Raconteurs

Left Hand Free
    Alt-J

Quote Originally Posted by Saladressing View Post
    Another alt station with a deeper playlist is 92.9 KRXF/Bend, OR. There is a AAA in the market, but no other alt or active rock station. It is apparently no longer subscribed to the ratings so it doesn't appear, but when it did it was consistently near the top of the list in a market of over 200,000.
    A quick look at the demographics of Bend Oregon shows that it's a city that is 94% white. There isn't even a single urban radio station in the place! Let me know when LA becomes 94% white, and maybe you'll have a point. KROQ did much better when the city had a different population base. I know of some former Angelinos who've moved to Bend for that reason.

Quote Originally Posted by TheBigA View Post
    A quick look at the demographics of Bend Oregon shows that it's a city that is 94% white. There isn't even a single urban radio station in the place! Let me know when LA becomes 94% white, and maybe you'll have a point. KROQ did much better when the city had a different population base. I know of some former Angelinos who've moved to Bend for that reason.

For better radio or to get away from the non-whites?

Page 9 of 12 FirstFirst ... 7891011 ... LastLast