• Get involved.
    We want your input!
    Apply for Membership and join the conversations about everything related to broadcasting.

After we receive your registration, a moderator will review it. After your registration is approved, you will be permitted to post.
    If you use a disposable or false email address, your registration will be rejected.

After your membership is approved, please take a minute to tell us a little bit about yourself.
    https://www.radiodiscussions.com/forums/introduce-yourself.1088/

Thanks in advance and have fun!
    RadioDiscussions Administrators

Holy cow, KROQ...

I thought when you did a count KPNT had 30 to KYSR's 27, unless that's changed recently.

It's not as much about the number of currents as it is about how often they rotate and, as a result, how many play each hour.

That is not a "test". It is just a system for exposing new music to smaller segments of the audience first. Note that the steps start with time of the day or week when audience levels for radio are at their lowest.

What you describe is simply a stairstep rotational pattern that starts with one show, moves to dayparting and then, maybe gets on the full playlist. Lots of stations do this in one way or another.

But there is no "testing" going on as there is no formal measure of acceptance / rejection. They are just easing the songs into rotation. And I'll bet they look at on-demand statistics and Nielsen moment-by moment (if they buy that data) for guidance.

ON THE MONEY here, David. EVEN on my favorite station KCSN/KSBR 88.8 FM. They do that on almost every new track or artist. Sometimes I will hear something that seems out of place on the station (maybe a little too hard rock, or too poppy, or too synthesized) and eventually that track is gone.

With regard to the on point posts in this thread about gold-based alternative 91X and active/alternative hybrid 105.7 The Point both being outliers in the incredibly staid format of alt which is now softer than soft ac, I'd like to add another to the pile, Alt 93.3/Minneapolis, the peashooter translator fed by HD that deviates very sharply from the soft safe sounds of iheart's other "Alt" stations. For that reason I wish they would have gone with the name they initially flirted with, 93.3 The Edge, as an homage to the once great 93.7 The Edge in the same market that generated some of the best ratings for any commercial alternative station during its time. 93.7 The Edge..a topic for another time.

Alt 93.3 is an alt/active hybrid. While it's far from what comm. alt. should be at this point in time had the format followed its original instincts of playing what's new, fresh and vibrant rather than what they've done by allowing themselves to be what they're told to be by the powers within the control grid, below is what Alt 93.3 has played in recent hours. Dandy Warhols, Sevendust, Gargbage, White Zombie, Taking Back Sunday, The Used.. pretty cool for an alt station years and years ago but today there really is no such thing as Alternative format. It's either Nostalgia or Soft Indie Folk.

So it's too bad there aren't any programmers with guts that would step outside the norm to play what the kids are actually listening to (trap metal and experimental hip hop among many other genres etc), but I get it, they simply aren't allowed to do so. Until then, this lumbering old-based rock-based playlist will have to do.

Crazily, this playlist looks flat out revolutionary compared to the softer than soft ac sounds of commercial alternative stations nationwide. Again, it's by design and I get it but that doesn't mean I don't get to comment on it. last one to leave turn the lightz out zzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzz

Alt 93.3 Minneapolis 6/16/17

So I am going to put an asterisk by the tracks I have heard on KCSN/KSBR 88.5 FM (AAA format) and see how much duplication there is.
Alt 93.3 Minneapolis 6/16/17

*Little Black Submarines - The Black Keys
Black - Sevendust
One Step Closer - Linkin Park
Genghis Khan - Miike Snow
The Calling - The Killers
*Yellow Ledbetter - Pearl Jam
*Glory - Friday Pilots Club
A Decade Under The Influence - Taking Back Sunday
The Taste Of Ink - The Used
S.O.S. (Sawed Off Shotgun) - The Glorious Sons
BOOM - X Ambassadors
*Lo/Hi - The Black Keys
Intergalactic - Beastie Boys
*Wish I Knew You - The Revivalists
The Rascal King - The Mighty Mighty Bosstones
TAKE MY FIRE - Switchfoot
Knights of Cydonia - Muse
Bled for Days - Static-X
*Such Great Heights - The Postal Service
*It Doesn't Matter Why - Silversun Pickups
Vultures - Asking Alexandria
Dangerous (feat. Joywave) - Big Data
Muzzle - Smashing Pumpkins
MANTRA - Bring Me the Horizon
Low - The Driver Era
Eddie Vedder - Local H
Around the World - Red Hot Chili Peppers
Jumpsuit - Twenty One Pilots
Too Bad - Rival Sons
Loner - YUNGBLUD
*Santa Monica (Re-Recorded) - Everclear
Santa Monica (Re-Recorded)
*Tick Tick Boom - The Hives
*Bohemian Like You - The Dandy Warhols
Lover, Leaver - Greta Van Fleet
*Saw Lightning - Beck
Shots - Imagine Dragons
Thunder Kiss '65 - White Zombie
*Passion - AWOLNATION
That's My Baby - Sleeper Agent
*Short Skirt / Long Jacket - Cake
Blood // Water - grandson
In Degrees - Foals
Gone Away - The Offspring
Pretty Girl (The Way) - Sugarcult
*Queer - Garbage
Trainwreck 1979 - Death from Above 1979
People's Champ - Arkells
*Fell On Black Days - Soundgarden
*Alligator - Of Monsters and Men
Running Away - Hoobastank
Megalomaniac - Incubus
Ghost - Badflower
*One Magic Moment - Bad Suns
Choke - I DONT KNOW HOW BUT THEY FOUND ME
Hash Pipe - Weezer
Lash Out - Alice Merton
*Inside Out - Eve 6
Be My Fire - The Blue Stones
*Ready To Let Go - Cage the Elephant

So about a 1/3

Wow, KROQ is currently tied overall with the classical public radio station owned by USC.

My belief is that the "alternative" format is killing itself with a misguided notion of what alternative rock actually is.
Don't blame "alternative music", blame those at radio and the labels who think kiddie pop is what alternative listeners want to hear.

Wow, KROQ is currently tied overall with the classical public radio station owned by USC.

My belief is that the "alternative" format is killing itself with a misguided notion of what alternative rock actually is.
Don't blame "alternative music", blame those at radio and the labels who think kiddie pop is what alternative listeners want to hear.

My belief is that rock is dying and has been since the '90s. Rhythmic is king, even among the white, suburban demos that used to be rock's happy hunting ground. Times change, tastes change. Some fads last longer than others. Except for the one that produced the music that the USC station plays, beginning six or seven centuries ago.

My belief is that rock is dying and has been since the '90s. Rhythmic is king, even among the white, suburban demos that used to be rock's happy hunting ground. Times change, tastes change. Some fads last longer than others. Except for the one that produced the music that the USC station plays, beginning six or seven centuries ago.

I don't think you can classify a genre of music with a half-century or more of popularity as a "fad." Was/Is jazz a "fad?" It's history is longer than rock and roll of course, but jazz hasn't enjoyed anything close to widespread popularity in decades. San Francisco has had only one (non-comm) jazz station since the mid 1990's (KCSM) and it is usually cutting back operations due to lack of pledge donations. Yet the SF Jazz concerts in San Francisco are very well attended. Perhaps mainstream rock will become more like jazz in that regard.

Was/Is jazz a "fad?" It's history is longer than rock and roll of course, but jazz hasn't enjoyed anything close to widespread popularity in decades.

Interesting comparison, because jazz reinvented itself a number of times during the last 100 years. It was very popular in the 30s, then it grew into its own pop music in the 40s, and then it reinvented with be-bop and the birth of the cool in the 50s, and then it reinvented again with Coltrane. There are commonalities among all the styles, but they also very different, and we can see that with rock. What radio does is group the styles around various audiences. The problem is the audience for the music appears to be in flux. So what was alternative 30 years ago may be something else now. It's easier to define it by what it was than by what it is.

Another alt station with a deeper playlist is 92.9 KRXF/Bend, OR. There is a AAA in the market, but no other alt or active rock station. It is apparently no longer subscribed to the ratings so it doesn't appear, but when it did it was consistently near the top of the list in a market of over 200,000.

6/2/19 9:01am:

New Slang
The Shins

Gave You Everything
The Interrupters

Savior
Rise Against

Time Bomb
Rancid

Blame It On My Youth
blink-182

Wave of Mutilation
Pixies

Mistaken for Strangers
The National

Come As You Are
Nirvana

3 Nights
dominik fike

Connection
Elastica

Heavy Cross
Gossip

Maybe I'm Afraid
Lovely The Band

Icky Thump
The White Stripes

This Life
Vampire Weekend

Black
Pearl Jam

Blood // Water
grandson

Zero
Smashing Pumpkins

Poison the Well
Modest Mouse

The Bad Touch
Bloodhound Gang

Plush (Remastered)
Stone Temple Pilots

Weight of Love
The Black Keys

Blue Harvest
Pinback

Head Like A Hole
Nine Inch Nails

Last Resort
Papa Roach

Hey Ladies
Beastie Boys

Heat of the Summer
Young the Giant

Darkness Into Light
Matisyahu

Change
The Revivalists

STINKFIST
TOOL

Gone Away
The Offspring

It Doesn't Matter Why
Silversun Pickups

About A Girl
Nirvana

By and Down (LIVE)
A Perfect Circle

My Name Is Mud
Primus

In Degrees
Foals

Down Together
Refreshments

No You Girls
Franz Ferdinand

Born and Razed
The Raconteurs

Left Hand Free
Alt-J

Another alt station with a deeper playlist is 92.9 KRXF/Bend, OR. There is a AAA in the market, but no other alt or active rock station. It is apparently no longer subscribed to the ratings so it doesn't appear, but when it did it was consistently near the top of the list in a market of over 200,000.

A quick look at the demographics of Bend Oregon shows that it's a city that is 94% white. There isn't even a single urban radio station in the place! Let me know when LA becomes 94% white, and maybe you'll have a point. KROQ did much better when the city had a different population base. I know of some former Angelinos who've moved to Bend for that reason.

A quick look at the demographics of Bend Oregon shows that it's a city that is 94% white. There isn't even a single urban radio station in the place! Let me know when LA becomes 94% white, and maybe you'll have a point. KROQ did much better when the city had a different population base. I know of some former Angelinos who've moved to Bend for that reason.

For better radio or to get away from the non-whites?

For better radio or to get away from the non-whites?

To get away from high taxes, idiotic politicians and unresponsive government, high traffic, high pollution, crazy traffic, high rental and home prices, terrible education, high crime... and more.

To get away from high taxes, idiotic politicians and unresponsive government, high traffic, high pollution, crazy traffic, high rental and home prices, terrible education, high crime... and more.

I hope that's the case. BigA's original post definitely left the impression that his acquaintances' decision to leave majority-minority LA for 94 percent white Bend was based on the proportion of non-whites in the population -- or the desire to hear more rock and less rhythmic on their radios.

A similar market to Bend is the one I am writing from now -- White River Junction/Lebanon/Hanover VT/NH. Except for the lone CHR, you won't hear anything remotely urban here. Two country stations, an AC (of the non-hot variety), a classic rocker, an active rocker, two AAAs, an oldies station that still plays '60s music, even a classical station that does mid-3s (its news/talk NPR sister station does 7s) -- that's radio up this way. Not sure what the racial/ethnic breakdown is here (not given on the ratings page) but chances are non-white is minuscule.

I hope that's the case. BigA's original post definitely left the impression that his acquaintances' decision to leave majority-minority LA for 94 percent white Bend

Not in that way, but it was obvious that the market for what they did was shrinking in LA, so they went where they had a better chance for success.

I hope that's the case. BigA's original post definitely left the impression that his acquaintances' decision to leave majority-minority LA for 94 percent white Bend was based on the proportion of non-whites in the population -- or the desire to hear more rock and less rhythmic on their radios.

And so what if they did? Who appointed you to determine whether the reason for their move is appropriate? If it is their desire to move to a 94% white town because they feel more comfortable there, that is all of their business and none of yours. The same would be true if they wanted to move to a 94% non-white town for the same reasons. They can move wherever they want for any damn reason they want. That is what living in a free country is all about. It is amazing that in 2019 this still has to be explained to people.

And so what if they did? Who appointed you to determine whether the reason for their move is appropriate? If it is their desire to move to a 94% white town because they feel more comfortable there, that is all of their business and none of yours. The same would be true if they wanted to move to a 94% non-white town for the same reasons. They can move wherever they want for any damn reason they want. That is what living in a free country is all about. It is amazing that in 2019 this still has to be explained to people.

It didn't need to be explained so much in 2009, but I feel like we've taken several steps backward since roughly 2012, and a lot of the reasons why involve California and its outsized influence on our society and culture.

But that's another thread on probably another forum. Back to KROQ and it flopping around like a Magikarp from the Pokemon franchise.

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.
Back
Top Bottom