• Get involved.
    We want your input!
    Apply for Membership and join the conversations about everything related to broadcasting.

After we receive your registration, a moderator will review it. After your registration is approved, you will be permitted to post.
    If you use a disposable or false email address, your registration will be rejected.

After your membership is approved, please take a minute to tell us a little bit about yourself.
    https://www.radiodiscussions.com/forums/introduce-yourself.1088/

Thanks in advance and have fun!
    RadioDiscussions Administrators

Philly May PPM's

In the pageant numbers, B101 takes pole position by remaining flat while WMGK slid two-tenths. Tight race up there! WMMR regained most of its loss while WOGL remains at 6.0 for whatever unimaginable reason (WISX, perhaps?). Not a whole lot else to talk about in the top 5.

Elsewhere, WIP-FM dropped 0.7, WPPZ is now up to a comparably impressive 2.5, and literally nothing else noteworthy happened.

https://www.allaccess.com/nielsen/q/market/89/philadelphia-pa

WPPZ's numbers are pretty phenomenal for that signal. Excellent choice in format. Geez they're hardly below the two CHR's. That's crazy. And yeah, 'OGL is suffering a little from WISX. Still doing fine but 'The Breeze' is serving its purpose. Not breaking records but holding its own and shaving a few points off of other stations here and there.

K-Love's big share last month turns out to be a spike and not a trend, as they lose 1.0 out of a 1.2 share gain. WXPN hits 2.3, a tenth ahead of Ben and probably an all-time high for them.

Anyone have the goods on how WOGL and WISX are doing in 25-54? Per All Access, I can see that the top 8 (in this order) are WMMR, WBEB, WUSL, WDAS, WRFF, WXTU, and a tie between WIP and WMGK. Now, I have no way of knowing what the actual shares are but I really expected WOGL to be in the top 10 and WISX to be somewhere near it.

Also...

• The top 6 18-34 are WUSL, a tie between WTDY and WXTU, WMMR, WBEB, and WIOQ (which is a full share behind WBEB so I suppose WTDY is really doing a number on them?).
  • The top 7 18-49 are WMMR, WBEB, WUSL, WRFF, WXTU, and a tie between WTDY and WDAS.

https://www.allaccess.com/net-news/...r-inc-exclusive-may-ppm-analysis-f?ref=search

Last edited:
WPPZ's numbers are pretty phenomenal for that signal. Excellent choice in format. Geez they're hardly below the two CHR's. That's crazy.

It's all about the format. I always found it interesting that in Baltimore, WINN, which is only a class A FM, always does amazing in the ratings. They were #2 6+ in the last book. In DC, WMMJ is also just a class A and they were #3.

Hi Miguelito. In regards to your above response, I feel like WOGL has to start playing more 90s music as the 70s has aged out of the so called 25-54 demo. They are one of the only entercom stations that plays a consistent amount of 70s. Sunny 105.9 in Orlando which was number 1 this month, plays maybe 1 70s an hour. I also feel like them and Ben FM need to refresh their playlist at it is getting very stale.
WMGK has been doing a good job or starting to add some 90s rock to their playlist and it is working for them.

Hi Miguelito. In regards to your above response, I feel like WOGL has to start playing more 90s music as the 70s has aged out of the so called 25-54 demo. They are one of the only entercom stations that plays a consistent amount of 70s. Sunny 105.9 in Orlando which was number 1 this month, plays maybe 1 70s an hour. I also feel like them and Ben FM need to refresh their playlist at it is getting very stale.
WMGK has been doing a good job or starting to add some 90s rock to their playlist and it is working for them.

I think the next time they spruce up the library, they're really going to have to add another year or two of '90s titles. There are some '70s that are gonna hang on for a really, really long time because people love them and they don't turn off the younger end of the demo. But yeah, one '70s title per hour is going to be quite sufficient!

Got a question: The Breeze is now at a 4.7.

So were these actually their numbers from the previous three months? Or is there a typo somewhere?

WISX-FM 4.8 4.8 4.5 4.7 Soft AC iHeartMedia (courtesy of RadioOnline)

Nice trending for WXPN ....

Got a question: The Breeze is now at a 4.7.

So were these actually their numbers from the previous three months? Or is there a typo somewhere?

WISX-FM 4.8 4.8 4.5 4.7 Soft AC iHeartMedia (courtesy of RadioOnline)

Nice trending for WXPN ....

PPM "books" are 28 days each. There is no rolling average of months.

Agencies use their own software to do multi-book averages, and stations use products like X-Trends to get quarterly and other averages.

The new diary market continuous measurement will use longer period averages and issue monthly reports but those will be a multi-month rolling average. Unlike today's trends in diary markets, each month will be a fully weighted and proportional report.

Also, my own two cents...

MGK, MMR doing amazing. MGK proving 90s rock works in the classic rock format.

The breeze continues to do great at a 4.7. KYW-AM scores a 4 share even with an all analog AM signal, as they haven't had their IBOC on for months.

Radio 104.5 WRFF continues at a solid 3.7, though I fear their playlist has a few inches of dust on it. The CHR battle continues between 96.5/ 102.1 with TDY winning by a .1

WHYY rolls on with a 2.6. The election season ramping up, so it's a great time to be a news/ politics centered station. And right behind is WPPZ Classix 107.9 making an amazing leap from 1.7 in Feb to a 2.5. Great format with some deep tracks of classic RnB/ soul from the 70s. Just with they'd finally get an engineer out there to put the signal back in stereo!

And who's that with a 2.3? WXPN! Amazingly high numbers for them, and I'm glad! It's a really eclectic station with some fantastic music.

The scariest thing to see is 95.7 Ben FM with a measly 2.2. I really, really think they ought to lean heavier on 90s pop/rock forgotten hits. Bands like Nine Days, Jars of Clay, Veruca Salt (which they've played before!) Crash Test Dummys, Harvey Danger, Mudhoney, Butthole Surfers etc..

Anyways, the other stations are doing as usual. A certain clear channel station that shall go unnamed is preforming as well as it should.

...WPPZ Classix 107.9 making an amazing leap from 1.7 in Feb to a 2.5. Great format with some deep tracks of classic RnB/ soul from the 70s. Just with they'd finally get an engineer out there to put the signal back in stereo!

QUOTE]

Perhaps they are trying to maximize the frequency as much as they can by eliminating the element of multipath with the mono broadcast, Audiophiles will notice, sure, but does the average person in their demo? Thankfully listener standards for the most part are centered on "is this clear or staticy?" Were that not true, there are and have been some seriously flawed audio chains in many of the top markets around the country. LOUD isn't always BETTER...

The scariest thing to see is 95.7 Ben FM with a measly 2.2. I really, really think they ought to lean heavier on 90s pop/rock forgotten hits. Bands like Nine Days, Jars of Clay, Veruca Salt (which they've played before!) Crash Test Dummys, Harvey Danger, Mudhoney, Butthole Surfers etc..

Agree. Seems like they use to play more 90's and were starting to play less 80's until a certain station started the whole nobody plays more 80's tagline. Since then Ben reversed course and went heavy on the 80's at the expense of 90's music.

Irishfl, agreed entirely. BenFM really needs to revamp their library and consider who they want to be. Do they want to be a copy of WOGL? Or do they want a more specific identity, something that only WBEN could deliver.

I don't think Ben needs to play any too off the beaten path. I think if they mix in some forgotten hits of the 90s with the usual 80s-90s fare, it would work wonders. Hell even play the forgotten 80s hits WOGL won't touch like Mexican Radio- wall of voodoo. A station cannot be a copy of another competitor, it's doomed from the start. A station needs a clear identity and purpose. Right now, Ben lacks both. Playing anything we feel like is an extremely old tired tagline.

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.
Back
Top Bottom