Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Is Mike Francesa the luckiest radio host ever?

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

Is Mike Francesa the luckiest radio host ever?

He has no radio talent, yet he was given an afternoon show and became a guy who people loved to hate, which gave him good ratings.

Quote Originally Posted by TTalkradio1 View Post
    He has no radio talent, yet he was given an afternoon show and became a guy who people loved to hate, which gave him good ratings.
    Radio talent is the ability to connect with people in some way and get good ratings. If you can't get good ratings, talent doesn't matter.

On the other hand, I guess you don't like him. I don't like green beans. As a result, I don't eat green beans.

He has no radio talent. He's just a guy who people love to hate.

He has no radio talent. He's just a guy who people love to hate.
    You miss the point: That's his talent.

Otherwise it's all subjective hoo-ha.

If that is his talent, then he's the luckiest host ever.

He was a whole lot better when he started at 'FAN and was teamed with Chris Russo. Those two had chemistry even if they got on each other's nerves, and Mike was the sharper half of the pair. He was the one who was staying up late and watching the games so he could offer intelligent observations -- the same games of which Mad Dog often said, when questioned by a caller on them, "Aaaahhhh, I didn't watch it. I was at a movie, but here's what I think." Now Francesa is the one who isn't doing his homework and comes off as a "get off my lawn" type.

At least Francesa knew what he was talking about at one point in his career. He still knows pro football, which was his gig on TV at CBS before going to The Fan. To me, Russo is the luckiest host ever. He got Sirius XM and the MLB Network both to write him nice checks -- make that HUGE checks from Sirius, which apparently feels that what America really wants to hear is New York City radio -- to host shows that most likely don't attract as many ears combined over 50 states as Mike & The Mad Dog did in the NYC market alone. Nobody is watching MLB Network at 1 on a weekday afternoon, and Sirius XM has more than a dozen other sports talk shows people could be listening to at 3 p.m., when Russo's daily Sirius XM show starts. More money to reach fewer ears, nice little thing he's got going.

If that is his talent, then he's the luckiest host ever.
    Rush Limbaugh might argue he is even luckier.

The ability to speak fairly coherently on a topic for hours at a time and attract and hold an audience’s attention is “radio talent” It doesn’t necessarily indicate intellect or other abilities, but, it is a specific type of talent, in my view. As another example, Sean Hannity strikes me as not being an intellectual giant, nor even particularly smart, but, he has the talent to assimilate a lot of information and to recall that information very adroitly.

Quote Originally Posted by Lee Linwood View Post
    The ability to speak fairly coherently on a topic for hours at a time and attract and hold an audience’s attention is “radio talent” It doesn’t necessarily indicate intellect or other abilities, but, it is a specific type of talent, in my view. As another example, Sean Hannity strikes me as not being an intellectual giant, nor even particularly smart, but, he has the talent to assimilate a lot of information and to recall that information very adroitly.
    Hannity talks like a radio host. Francesa has no radio talent. Getting rid of callers quickly and talking slowly isn't talent.

Hannity talks like a radio host. Francesa has no radio talent. Getting rid of callers quickly and talking slowly isn't talent.
    So listen to Hannity. If you want sports and don't like Mike, listen to WEPN. You have lots of choices. Mike's not going away because of you.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast