Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Is Mike Francesa the luckiest radio host ever?

Is Mike Francesa the luckiest radio host ever?

He has no radio talent, yet he was given an afternoon show and became a guy who people loved to hate, which gave him good ratings.

Quote Originally Posted by TTalkradio1 View Post
    He has no radio talent, yet he was given an afternoon show and became a guy who people loved to hate, which gave him good ratings.
    Radio talent is the ability to connect with people in some way and get good ratings. If you can't get good ratings, talent doesn't matter.

On the other hand, I guess you don't like him. I don't like green beans. As a result, I don't eat green beans.

He has no radio talent. He's just a guy who people love to hate.

Quote Originally Posted by TTalkradio1 View Post
    He has no radio talent. He's just a guy who people love to hate.
    You miss the point: That's his talent.

Otherwise it's all subjective hoo-ha.

If that is his talent, then he's the luckiest host ever.

He was a whole lot better when he started at 'FAN and was teamed with Chris Russo. Those two had chemistry even if they got on each other's nerves, and Mike was the sharper half of the pair. He was the one who was staying up late and watching the games so he could offer intelligent observations -- the same games of which Mad Dog often said, when questioned by a caller on them, "Aaaahhhh, I didn't watch it. I was at a movie, but here's what I think." Now Francesa is the one who isn't doing his homework and comes off as a "get off my lawn" type.

At least Francesa knew what he was talking about at one point in his career. He still knows pro football, which was his gig on TV at CBS before going to The Fan. To me, Russo is the luckiest host ever. He got Sirius XM and the MLB Network both to write him nice checks -- make that HUGE checks from Sirius, which apparently feels that what America really wants to hear is New York City radio -- to host shows that most likely don't attract as many ears combined over 50 states as Mike & The Mad Dog did in the NYC market alone. Nobody is watching MLB Network at 1 on a weekday afternoon, and Sirius XM has more than a dozen other sports talk shows people could be listening to at 3 p.m., when Russo's daily Sirius XM show starts. More money to reach fewer ears, nice little thing he's got going.

In my view, anybody who gets paid to spout their opinion for 4 hours a day is the luckiest person ever. There are far worse jobs one can have.

As we've discussed on the sports format board, the fact that Sirius is considering creating a YES channel is also amazing to me. I wonder which channel they'll drop when they add YES.

Quote Originally Posted by TheBigA View Post
    In my view, anybody who gets paid to spout their opinion for 4 hours a day is the luckiest person ever. There are far worse jobs one can have.

As we've discussed on the sports format board, the fact that Sirius is considering creating a YES channel is also amazing to me. I wonder which channel they'll drop when they add YES.
    The bandwidth could come from Entertainment Weekly Radio, which was recently discontinued with no formal announcement, but with the former Time-Life properties being sold off yet again, it's logical to conclude that the new bosses (an investment hedge fund, I believe) see no value in paying SXM for a channel anymore. Also, another paid-for channel, Kidz Bop (today's hits sung by children) is off the air right now in favor of the limited-run Pavarotti Radio (pimped-out channel dedicated to the great tenor, whose label apparently has some big posthumous product to push), so perhaps that contract has run out as well. Pre-empting a channel that it's getting paid to run is something SXM has never done previously; only the in-house music channels have been used for the pop-up channels previously.

The YES Radio idea doesn't surprise me, given the Big Apple focus of management. With ESPN Radio and every other general sports radio network ignoring baseball to focus on the NBA and NFL (demographics, don'tcha know?), there are certainly enough Yankee fans in the NYC metro alone who want to talk baseball to give it and its advertisers an audience to be sold stuff to. While SXM has several choices for listeners who want basketball and football talk, only MLB Network Radio talks about MLB to any great extent.

There's been speculation elsewhere that YES Radio could mean the end of free OTA play-by-play for the Yankees. I just can't see that happening, especially since the fan base for all baseball teams is aging and going the pay-per-hear route would bring the games to fewer and fewer ears with each passing year. Streaming services replacing AM ro FM radio, I can somewhat see, if their adoption continues to surge AND if the telecomms ever find solutions to streaming's bandwidth and coverage issues.

Quote Originally Posted by CTListener View Post

There's been speculation elsewhere that YES Radio could mean the end of free OTA play-by-play for the Yankees. I just can't see that happening,
    I agree. Even with all the TV options (MLB, YES, and Amazon) there are still a number of games on WPIX. The money they get from OTA radio is guaranteed, and its hard to walk away from that kind of money.

Quote Originally Posted by TheBigA View Post
    As we've discussed on the sports format board, the fact that Sirius is considering creating a YES channel is also amazing to me.
    SiriusXM tends to make deals with outside entities to fund branded channels. They're probably getting paid or some kind of consideration to create a YES channel.

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast